New Chicago quad reissue from Rhino Handmade?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Mark and welcome to Quadraphonicquad.com. Thanks for writing about Quadraphonic music and Quad collecting. All of us will be looking forward to the article!

If we as collectors and passionate fans of Quadraphonic music do not take up the cause for these recordings they will be lost, as have many silent films. Now there are many film foundations/non-profit organizations that are working with the major film studios and other film archives to save and preserve film for all time. Unfortunately, we do not have the same equivalency for these historic Quadraphonic recordings – at least as of now. One would not expect tape to last forever. Thank god Rhino records has stepped up to the plate and we are grateful to all those involved with the CTA release and really do hope this is the beginning of many great things to come. We’re trying to do our part buying all that is released and turning our friends onto these Quad releases by Rhino so that they’ll buy them as well.

It’s good to know we have another voice here to help spread the good word about these recordings. Much thanks.

Welcome to the forums Mark! While I personally don't really care about quad, I definitely am a huge fan of surround music. And even though i might not particularly care for Chicago, I picked up the DTS-CD in hopes of demonstrating to those at the top that a market does exist for such products... In reality, I hope that I can indirectly make the bands that I actually DO care about maybe start to give a rats ass about things like the long-time rumored release of Wish You Were Here, and other such projects.

Brain Damage Pink Floyd fan site said:
Possibly in 2010:

* Wish You Were Here Multi-channel version/SACD (Super Audio CD)
One of the most anticipated releases, that is still not on a confirmed release footing, is the multi-channel version, possibly Super Audio CD (SACD), of Wish You Were Here. This has been promised for some time, and indeed, in Storm Thorgerson's latest edition of Mind Over Matter, he showcases the artwork for the release which he states "is due in February 2008", which clearly didn't happen! In an interview with David Gilmour published in September 2008 he confirmed that work was still ongoing on the release. At the current time we understand that it is possibly to receive a release in 2010.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/miscellaneous-articles/upcoming-releases-and-events.html

Also.. while I'm still somewhat skeptical about the quality of the mastering... I went head and pre-ordered a copy of the Who's Next SHM-SACD Japanese release. If it turns out ot be good, I'm going to pick some more up. Individuals such as yourself are precisely what we, as a community, need. We need more exposure, more awareness.. more consumer interest. IF YOU BUILD IT... THEY WILL COME! :D

http://sacdlives.blogspot.com/2010/04/ultimate-super-audio-cd-shm-sacd-comes.html

I do have some off-the-record "Wish You Were Here" knowledge that unfortunately I cannot share just yet, but efforts are ongoing to get the 5.1 out. Along with "Tusk." And the Eltons. All done, in the can, ready to go, but you know what the industry is like these days.

I like the quads because they were the original vision in many cases (Certainly Alan Parsons' quad Dark Side was planned from the start, before recording even began -- you'll see that in my Times article).

Missing multis make Aja and Who's Next very iffy at this point.

Myself, I'd love to see Chicago IX, the greatest hits, as the next release. Guercio told me if you love the CTA quad, wait till you hear what we did when we had more than 8 tracks to work with. I'm sure everyone here has Chicago IX in some form of quad -- a legit version off the master tapes could really send this trend on the right track.

I was under the impression that Aja and Who's Next are getting stereo releases.

Yes, these are stereo-only release.

Welcome Mark. Doesn't matter if the fleet is composed by 4 ships or 5 plus a submarine, the important thing is that the ships actually go to the sea. We're waiting on the shore...

Are you the same Mark Brown who was the music writer for The Rocky Mountain News?

Another welcome to the forum, Mark :)

Now , you threw me totally off guard here..."Tusk"?

So , the F Macs were about to remix their most successful lineup LPs to 5.1 from the looks of it... very interesting,

As for Chicago IX, is it just me or the tapes that were used for the SQ LP were a few generations down from the original?
Because I've always found the quality a bit below the mixes on the original LPs, or maybe it was the mastering, I don't know...

BTW , I have a "home brewed" DVDA conversion of a Chicago X SQ LP that sounds great (mainly because the mix was great!), maybe you would like it....
Cheers!

Welcome, Mark.

I hope you also take a chance at looking at the great advancement in homebrew stereo-to-surround technology going on with the SPEC method at www.surroundbyus.com. It's a small, startup, hobby site, but the potential for the technlogy with some extra assistance from those with more advanced audio knowledge is huge. Give a visit if you have the chance.

If I haven't already posted the date here, the LA Times quad article goes live Sunday, June 6, a week from today and should be available online.

Also, I see the official release of CTA quad is no longer up at Demonoid -- did the guy cave in to the pressure that was put on him?

Mark, when it's up please post a link for it. People like me outside USA are not so familiar with all the "sections" of the USA newspapers, especially Sunday editions.

Yes. I did the piece on Caribou Ranch a few years ago, which is where I established my Guercio connection:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/special-reports/the-legend-of-caribou/

As for "Tusk," yes, Buckingham told me in an interview once that it was done and in the can and was to follow the 5.1 release of Rumours, but label interest died.

Man, you're killing me with the "Tusk" news byte! :) I remembering how the release date for this DVD-A kept getting pushed back and back after it was initially announced...very frustrating as "Tusk" is my favorite album by the Mac to this day. Just having "Sara" in 5.1 surround sound would be worth the entry fee and them some :eek: .

Knowing that the mix is done but just sitting on some proverbial shelf somewhere is very disheartening...please, whoever controls this deal...please release "Tusk" 5.1 from its prison :D

Looking forward to the article from Mark...

Jon

I can't reveal the title yet, but a source told me the CTA quad issue from Rhino was so successful that they're about to announce the next one (a different artist) and its upcoming release date. Sorry to be all cryptic, just can't burn sources.

Back