New DBX 3BX series III assistance required

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AudioLancelot

I just bought a new DBX 3BX Series III unit. I play my music through a Sansui QRX 9001 system ...most everything else in my system is stereo.

Conventionally I record direct signal from the tuner to the CD recorder before the receiver.

I wish to

1. CD record vinyl and FM broadcasts via a Pioneer analog TX9800 tuner onto a stand alone Pioneer Elite CD recorder

2. Playback vinyl and FM broadcasts

Should I hook the unit up as follows

1. Tuner to the DBX unit and then to the CD recorder to record and to listen FM broadcasts?
2. Turntable to the DBX unit and then my receiver or will this not work due the phono amp section and I have to go turntable to receiver then DBX unit and then CD recorder to record and to listen to vinyl?

I have no manual so connection assistance would greatly be appreciated

Suggested band and impact restoration settings would be greatly appreciated as well.

Dennis

hi Dennis

you hook up the dbx in a tape monitor loop and you really don't want to use the DBX 3BX to record your material, just record it normal then play them thru your DBX units. i did the mistake once and belive me i almost blew my 4 ears, i also use 3bx for my quad set up, but i can't see or heard any difference with the impact restoration, ????? and i run mine at 40% expancion. thanks Gerardo

I commented to some length on this already in the "General CD-4 Banter" thread. Basically, just play with it until you find a setting you like for the material you are listening to. Just don't "set it and forget it" since optimal settings for one performance can kill another. It is very tweaky but can sound good. I use mine solely for CD-4 recordings. If I did much FM listening, I'd use it for that too. I wouldn't even think of using it on conventional stereo recordings. There isn't any need and you're just going to be adding unwanted distortion.

I see nothing wrong with using it for recording as long as you don't go off the deep end with the controls. That impact restoration is the tool of the devil. Watch out.

Back