New Djabe DVD-Audio studio album released 27th January 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not if Djabe has their way. I applaud them !!!
And in a real DVD Audio jewel case !!
And a personal written thank you
And Steve Hackett

And a simply wonderful 5.1
I plan to release the Djabe - First Album Revisited on DVD-Audio. As this album already released on DVD-Video DTS 5.1 surround, I plan to create a DVD-Audio with no DVD-Video part. Does it has sense?

I plan to release the Djabe - First Album Revisited on DVD-Audio. As this album already released on DVD-Video DTS 5.1 surround, I plan to create a DVD-Audio with no DVD-Video part. Does it has sense?
I do, though, love the pictures that complement the songs. Very tastefully done. And I quite like the song times there as well. Rarely done before, if at all. :)

Similarly, I really like Giancarlo Era's pictures on his solo DVDAs.

I listen to a lot of Prog Rock. Actually my music interests are pretty varied. But when I want to clear my head and just get into a groove some music does not work for me.
This day and time we all have a lot of things we have to do, sort through much email, maybe the days mail, phone and text messages. Not necessarily enjoyable, but we do it.
I have a hobby that keeps me working with my old, arthritic hands that demands close attention to detail.
Through all of this I don't want distractions, or brickwalled dynamics. I want some great music playing, something soothing for the soul I can just fall right in to that just...feels right.
That music for me is often Djabe. So glad I have such a good collection to draw upon. Very happy to support such fine artists. My music budget is not large, but I always make a place for these guys. Looking forward to future releases. I hope all this made sense!

I listen to a lot of Prog Rock. Actually my music interests are pretty varied. But when I want to clear my head and just get into a groove some music does not work for me.
This day and time we all have a lot of things we have to do, sort through much email, maybe the days mail, phone and text messages. Not necessarily enjoyable, but we do it.
I have a hobby that keeps me working with my old, arthritic hands that demands close attention to detail.
Through all of this I don't want distractions, or brickwalled dynamics. I want some great music playing, something soothing for the soul I can just fall right in to that just...feels right.
That music for me is often Djabe. So glad I have such a good collection to draw upon. Very happy to support such fine artists. My music budget is not large, but I always make a place for these guys. Looking forward to future releases. I hope all this made sense!
Totally agree! A week ago I needed to figure some complex stuff out for work, so I put on Djabe & Steve Hackett - Back To Sardinia, beautiful music, great surround mix, and it kept my brain soothed why I tried to figure out how to implement something.

I only have one but it slides between jazz and fusion although with obvious musical skill.
I much prefer the instrumental tracks, but that is by no means a shortcomming.

Yeah I agree with above comments more or less. They are jazz/fusion but with their own style. Add in Hackett and you get some nice flavors.

Not an accurate description but more about the fidelity. Remember that old Steve Stills song, "Johhny's Garden"? (adjusted some)
"It's green clean, and it's quiet, only trouble was I had to buy it."
lol.

This is not your 8 minute songs of wild total free form jazz, what I like to call, I'm sure mistakenly, "discordant" music. Hard to explain what I mean, I mean I like all types of jazz but I don't really like labeling any of it. Much jazz is by nature free form and spur-of-the-moment.

I think it takes a lot of talent to play jazz...it takes a thinking person. Any dummy like me can, or could when I could still play, recognizable tunes on the guitar. But that's not jazz guitar.

For a group of people to work together and play well as a unified presence, it takes hours and hours of playing together to hit their stride, and these guys hit the mark every time on their recordings.

With Djabe, there seems to exist, at least for me, the right mix of string instruments, percussion, horns, I mean just the total package that I like. The drums are not buried away but out front and lively.

The guest musicians that appear here and there over the years are not a distraction but a bonus.

I could go on but I say for the price, why not try it. If you don't like it, fine. If you do, all the better.

This is not your 8 minute songs of wild total free form jazz, what I like to call, I'm sure mistakenly, "discordant" music. Hard to explain what I mean, I mean I like all types of jazz but I don't really like labeling any of it. Much jazz is by nature free form and spur-of-the-moment.

I think it takes a lot of talent to play jazz...it takes a thinking person. Any dummy like me can, or could when I could still play, recognizable tunes on the guitar. But that's not jazz guitar.

For a group of people to work together and play well as a unified presence, it takes hours and hours of playing together to hit their stride, and these guys hit the mark every time on their recordings.

With Djabe, there seems to exist, at least for me, the right mix of string instruments, percussion, horns, I mean just the total package that I like. The drums are not buried away but out front and lively.

The guest musicians that appear here and there over the years are not a distraction but a bonus.

I could go on but I say for the price, why not try it. If you don't like it, fine. If you do, all the better.
Which album would you recommend as a starter?
Thanks in advance!

Which album would you recommend as a starter?
Thanks in advance!
Wow. That's hard. If you're a fiddle fan, there's a great track on "Sheafs Are Dancing" [DVDA]...good piano as well...tracks with great horns...

DJABE & Steve Hackett - Live Is a Journey - The Sardinia Tapes is one of my favorites - I think "Golden Sand" is a gorgeously beautiful song.

If you're more of a prog fan and dipping your toes into jazz I think you'll find one of the Djabe works with Hackett a good starting place.
This is no way diminishes the group Djabe. Only that Hackett adds a different dimension that may/may not be more appealing to those not normally jazz listeners.

The one mentioned above on 96/24 DTS DVD (That's I think, pretty normal for their DVD offerings, although they also include the AC3)
So going with the Hackett collaborations for reasons stated above only:
Djabe & Steve Hackett -(2017)- Life Is A Journey – The Sardinia Tapes [DVDV]
Djabe & Steve Hackett -(2018)- Life Is a Journey - The Budapest Live Tapes (DTS 5.1) [DVDV]
Djabe & Steve Hackett -(2019)- Back to Sardinia [DVDV]
Djabe & Steve Hackett -(2021)- The Journey Continues (DVDV)
Djabe with Steve Hackett -(2018)- It Is Never The Same Twice [DVDV]

I think I got all the Djabe/Hackett collaborations on a quick look at my files.
My apologies if I did not give any single recommendation....because it's hard!

Nice!
I noticed “Flow” is their highest ranked release in The Surround Polls…ordered a copy from a company in Germany…will report back!
Way to do your homework! I think you found an excellent starting point – trust the polls . . . mostly! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

Back