New Dolby Atmos Streaming Polls

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a mock up of the Voting control (where users vote):

The voting slider controls are dragged - touch enabled on phones, tablets and other touch enabled devices

The 'Score' is the average of the three votes:

1664836980906.png

Last edited:
I'm willing to pitch in 20 or 30 bucks to help fund a year's test run. Might be willing to contribute some labor, too--but I'll stay non-committal on that for now.

I like @HomerJAU's original idea of "weighting" the 3 categories heavily in favor of the mix, since that's what we're most interested in (not sure everyone agrees?).

I also wonder if a link to a "guidelines" page at the top of each poll would be in order, if only so that we're not tempted to give out "10s" promiscuously just because we're head-over-heels in love with a new title. Of course people have to decide for themselves what characteristics make for a good mix. (For me, different qualities can suit different material.) But it's good to be reminded to aim for consistency, etc. And as for assigning scores: I find it helps to think in terms of how letter grades traditionally correlate with percentages. These days, people have different ideas about where the "A" range begins, but for old-schoolers:
  • 90-100 = A- to A (excellent to outstanding)
  • 80-89 = B- to B to B+ (good to very good)
  • 70-79 = C- to C to C+ (mediocre to average)
  • 60-69 = D- to D to D+ (awful to poor)
  • 59 & below = F (abysmal)

Thanks Michael.

Guidlines a must! Maybe built into the voting control.

I‘d still like to implement the user defined weighting. If a user does not set a weighting his/her Score will be the average of the 3.

Maybe if users don’t set a category vote (it’s zero) the Score should ignore that category in the calc? (Possible future I guess).

Last edited:
Regarding voting, should there be a way for the voter to indicate their listening method; meaning headphones vs. 5.1 vs. Atmos (possibly getting granular with the various Atmos speaker setups)?

I think we should encourage participation from everyone, even though here at QQ we tend to be biased against spatial audio via headphones. From a reporting perspective, having the listening method would be a good filter and could yield some interesting trend analysis data.

I’d like to ask the user on signup their usual system setup, with a few choices like:
Headphones
Stereo Hifi
7.1.4 etc

But won’t make this a mandatory input. (Maybe we should?)

Users will need to be logged in to vote. Casual visitors can view but not vote or have any other input.

Like QQ Polls, there will be a release vote view where you can see who’s voted and their vote. I like this as some QQers are well respected and I value their opinion.

EDIT: I mean; I found QQers that seem to have similar taste to mine and I seek their opinions on releases I’m not familiar with.

Last edited:
@ubertrout seeking your opinion on any legal issues with the proposed website. @J. PUPSTER suggested I run it by you. I guess using album covers? You may have other ideas/suggestions?
The legal question is complicated - not least because as I understand you're in Australia, which has related but different copyright laws I'm not as familiar with. In theory there's some argument about copyright for album covers, but I suspect it's fair use - god knows Amazon and Discogs and everyone else does it.

The only actual advice I'd give is if you're legitimately concerned, talk to a local lawyer and get official legal advice.

The legal question is complicated - not least because as I understand you're in Australia, which has related but different copyright laws I'm not as familiar with. In theory there's some argument about copyright for album covers, but I suspect it's fair use - god knows Amazon and Discogs and everyone else does it.

The only actual advice I'd give is if you're legitimately concerned, talk to a local lawyer and get official legal advice.

Thank you!

Amazon is a reseller but there are many non-reseller websites offering covers. I’d definitely have a Fair Use disclaimer.

I’m hoping this will promote immersive music and, of course , no file sharing or links to downloads will be allowed. Same a QQ.

Thank you!

Amazon is a reseller but there are many non-reseller websites offering covers. I’d definitely have a Fair Use disclaimer.

I’m hoping this will promote immersive music and, of course , no file sharing or links to downloads will be allowed. Same a QQ.
Fair use disclaimers don't do anything, at least under US law. Just FYI. I guess it can't hurt though?

Any distinction regarding if the images are hosted on the website as opposed to displayed via a link to another site? For example, when I share Apple Music links on QQ, there is a small artwork image that also appears.

I will contribute $30.

I would support a weighted average, as "music content" is so subjective (not like the others aren't either of course). An incredible Celine Dion or even many-metal-bands mix would get a music content vote that is very low for me, but for others it may be a bucket list item. I mention this because when one purchases a physical disc the assumption is that they probably like the artist or the music. In the streaming world one can browse or use QQ links to hear/demo pretty much anything, and may come across great sonics or great Atmos mixes that are not at all their cup of tea musically. My $.02

Last edited:
Hi All, just an FYI, I actually started to compile a list of Atmos releases that included both the Dolby Audio and Dolby Atmos streams, typically available on Apple Music. My goal was to provide the link to find the stream. I like this idea of expansion into a poll and comments form resource. Not sure if there is some expertise to manipulate what I already started. I am more of a blogger and not a coder. You can see what I started here. Immersive Streaming | Added - Hi-Res Edition

Back