New Donald Fagen Album

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2012/08/donald-fagan-announces-fourth-solo.html

It just feels wrong if this doesn't come out in 5.1, doesn't it?

Agreed. I picked up Morph the Cat on DVD-A (used) at FYE, and both the music and mix were fantastic, so hopefully this new album is just as good.
(In all honesty though, I kinda prefer it not to be in 5.1 cause I'm gonna need every penny to get that Larks' boxset, and the least I'm tempted with more surround releases, the better.) :)

Got ahold of Sunken Condos today. (don't ask) The sonics and the songs are spectacular. Likely the album of the year. Diggin' that dusty/crusty/funky/chunky memorabilia.
Donald-Fagen-Sunken-Condos1.jpg
hero2.jpg

I don't have Kamakiriad but on Morph the Cat DF's trademark enunciation was showing the effects of the natural aging process. And that was 6 years ago. I can't see myself rushing out to get this one. Nightfly is masterful. For me that's the Fagen vocalization that I can listen to over and over in hi-rez surround.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and to decide how you spend your $$$. I do know what you're referring to in his enunciation. Yet, I believe that you'll be missing something great, IMHO.

I don't have Kamakiriad but on Morph the Cat DF's trademark enunciation was showing the effects of the natural aging process. And that was 6 years ago. I can't see myself rushing out to get this one. Nightfly is masterful. For me that's the Fagen vocalization that I can listen to over and over in hi-rez surround.

My research regarding the likelihood of a surround version unearthed this (in an MSN interview) :

"....(fans of 5.1 surround mixes shouldn't hold their breath, as Fagen has soured on the format). "It doesn't matter anyway. Everybody listens to it on those terrible computer speakers anyway," Fagen said, only half-jokingly."

which seems rather a shame, if true...

My research regarding the likelihood of a surround version unearthed this (in an MSN interview) :

"....(fans of 5.1 surround mixes shouldn't hold their breath, as Fagen has soured on the format). "It doesn't matter anyway. Everybody listens to it on those terrible computer speakers anyway," Fagen said, only half-jokingly."

which seems rather a shame, if true...

very very sad and very true unfortunatly. WTF! is wrong here? Morph sold well with the 2 disc set. But you know, he's right!
about the pc speakers.

There's still hope for 5.1 edition of Sunken Condos, based on this interview by Mike Mettler of Sound + Vision magazine:
METTLER: Any consideration for having Condos mixed in 5.1?

FAGEN: Chances are that Elliot [Scheiner] would do it, I would imagine. Elliot’s been preparing for surround, so absolutely. You know, he’ll probably do it. [If an Elliot-mixed 5.1 Condos becomes a go, we will update that information immediately, of course. To date, Gaucho, Two Against Nature, and Everything Must Go are the only Steely Dan albums officially released in 5.1. Pretzel Logic was “finished, and it turned out great,” according to what Scheiner told me, ahem, eight years ago, but we're still waiting for an official release.]

There's still hope for 5.1 edition of Sunken Condos, based on this interview by Mike Mettler of Sound + Vision magazine:

thank you so much for posting this! a glimmer of hope (after I'd definitely ruled it out!) a really great find!! (y)

intrigued by DF's comment: "Elliot's been preparing for surround, so absolutely.."

he's been preparing what for what with surround..?? what is DF alluding to?

Maybe Warner have been prepping artists/producers/engineers to get some 5.1 mixes ready and are poised to jump on board Universal's BDA train after all..?!?

If they are, I'd like them to release all those announced Warner DVD-A's that never made it, especially Rod's "A Night On The Town", Van's "Moondance", Jean Luc-P's "Cosmic Messenger", CSN&Y "Deja Vu", Stephen Stills' 1st Solo
LP.. the list of beauties goes on..!!

knowing for an absolute certainty now that Pretzel Logic is complete in 5.1 (and has been for 8 years!) and that it sounds great.. bit of a kick in the teeth!!

come on Universal..!! get that Pretzel Logic in surround out on blu-ray..!!!! You'll sell 5,000 to QQ members straight away! :p

thank you so much for posting this! a glimmer of hope (after I'd definitely ruled it out!) a really great find!! (y)

intrigued by DF's comment: "Elliot's been preparing for surround, so absolutely.."

he's been preparing what for what with surround..?? what is DF alluding to?

Maybe Warner have been prepping artists/producers/engineers to get some 5.1 mixes ready and are poised to jump on board Universal's BDA train after all..?!?

If they are, I'd like them to release all those announced Warner DVD-A's that never made it, especially Rod's "A Night On The Town", Van's "Moondance", Jean Luc-P's "Cosmic Messenger", CSN&Y "Deja Vu", Stephen Stills' 1st Solo
LP.. the list of beauties goes on..!!

knowing for an absolute certainty now that Pretzel Logic is complete in 5.1 (and has been for 8 years!) and that it sounds great.. bit of a kick in the teeth!!

come on Universal..!! get that Pretzel Logic in surround out on blu-ray..!!!! You'll sell 5,000 to QQ members straight away! :p

OMG! will I live long enough to hear it? What the shit are they waiting for? You would think with Steve Wilson and others on board it would be a no brainer. Theses people read Sound and Vision mag, or glance at it. S&V is pro surround. There are those who appreciate this stuff, why then did all the dvd audio music sell out when it was new? I wasn't the only one buying them. Blu Ray is here, most have it. lets go while I am still aware I am here?
Pretzel Logic in 5.1? Hell may freeze over and the riddle of what was 1st, a egg or a chicken is solved, then perhaps they will get off thier collective FAT asses and let the music out! Where it should be, not in a vault somewhere.

OMG! will I live long enough to hear it? What the shit are they waiting for? You would think with Steve Wilson and others on board it would be a no brainer. Theses people read Sound and Vision mag, or glance at it. S&V is pro surround. There are those who appreciate this stuff, why then did all the dvd audio music sell out when it was new? I wasn't the only one buying them. Blu Ray is here, most have it. lets go while I am still aware I am here?
Pretzel Logic in 5.1? Hell may freeze over and the riddle of what was 1st, a egg or a chicken is solved, then perhaps they will get off thier collective FAT asses and let the music out! Where it should be, not in a vault somewhere.

I couldn't agree more..!!!!!! (y) (y)

It Pisses me off to no end, I still feel cheated! The SOB's did PL 8 yrs ago!! And Frigging HD tracks not offering 5.1. You would think at least that method, if they don't want to produce plastic media,(money).
What the hell are they waiting for? I just don't get it.

"Pretzel Logic" not being released in 5.1 can only be the fault of the record company, either that or Fagen & Becker still wanted changes to it at the time it was due to be released...they are beyond perfectionism, you know? ;)

Maybe a 40th anniversary release next year?

Back