New Donald Fagen Album

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Pretzel Logic" not being released in 5.1 can only be the fault of the record company, either that or Fagen & Becker still wanted changes to it at the time it was due to be released...they are beyond perfectionism, you know? ;)

Maybe a 40th anniversary release next year?

wasn't there some press conference or expo where Elliot Scheiner stood up in front of a whole crowd of industry folk and confronted the CEO of Universal (or some other big cheese there) and said "I've got the master tapes for all the Steely Dan albums sitting in my studio waiting to be mixed into 5.1, the band want me to do them, are you going to green-light them for me now or what??" (something like that.. I'm paraphrasing a bit but that's the main thrust of what he had to say at the time, I'm pretty sure.. It's almost ingrained in my brain..!!).

Kudos to him for speaking out. It was a ridiculous, untenable situation then and it's just as daft and needless now.

I am hoping beyond hope that Universal pull their 5.1 fingers out and get all the Steely Dan and Elton classic albums mixed into 5.1 out ASAP.

wasn't there some press conference or expo where Elliot Scheiner stood up in front of a whole crowd of industry folk and confronted the CEO of Universal (or some other big cheese there) and said "I've got the master tapes for all the Steely Dan albums sitting in my studio waiting to be mixed into 5.1, the band want me to do them, are you going to green-light them for me now or what??" (something like that.. I'm paraphrasing a bit but that's the main thrust of what he had to say at the time, I'm pretty sure.. It's almost ingrained in my brain..!!).

Kudos to him for speaking out. It was a ridiculous, untenable situation then and it's just as daft and needless now.

I am hoping beyond hope that Universal pull their 5.1 fingers out and get all the Steely Dan and Elton classic albums mixed into 5.1 out ASAP.

Yes, I also recall reading about that incident. Well at least he made a deal of it. I bet you though if they had the multi-tracks available for "Black Cow" & "Aja", we wouldn't even be discussing this and all of the SD albums cause they would be out! :)

It's easy enough to get ticked off at the record companies. But my take is that these are extremely scared and dysfunctional organizations given the last few years. It's their own fault, of course. But it must really suck to work in that industry these days.

This feels like 1977. Me not buying Bat Out Of Hell, waiting for the SQ LP to come out, not knowing the boat had sailed.:(

why hoping beyond hope?
it seems like not much choices for record industry now. DL sales, albeit was heavily pushed by iTunes and such
for years, still not yet viable to sustain industry. CDs sales from year to year in permanent decline. many artists
now deals with their fan base directly, without middle man.
quite absurd situation, when big three practically took control over main competitors with all their archives and
publishing rights, had spend big deal of money on this and now sit idle without knowing what to do with all this :)
they call us niche market, but this niche in fact lone fragment in the music market, which in constant grows tendency,
even with such poor selection and racketeering prices. one do not need to be genius to figure out that concept
"give more HiRez surround titles will result in that that this niche will become main market".
music on physical medium in fact belong to category of collectors goods. sort of like books, movies, postal stamps,
art, etc. some people will buy to listen, some - to impress their friends

why hoping beyond hope?
it seems like not much choices for record industry now. DL sales, albeit was heavily pushed by iTunes and such
for years, still not yet viable to sustain industry. CDs sales from year to year in permanent decline. many artists
now deals with their fan base directly, without middle man.
quite absurd situation, when big three practically took control over main competitors with all their archives and
publishing rights, had spend big deal of money on this and now sit idle without knowing what to do with all this :)
they call us niche market, but this niche in fact lone fragment in the music market, which in constant grows tendency,
even with such poor selection and racketeering prices. one do not need to be genius to figure out that concept
"give more HiRez surround titles will result in that that this niche will become main market".
music on physical medium in fact belong to category of collectors goods. sort of like books, movies, postal stamps,
art, etc. some people will buy to listen, some - to impress their friends

..cos it seems kinda hopeless right now..??

..cos it seems kinda hopeless right now..??

the debate over at sa-cd.net about the upcoming BDA's has descended into a bitchfest between a couple of people on there about absolutely nothing to do with the BDA format.. similar discussion has hit the skids on blu-ray.com, though its because the general mood has turned to one where if there's no 5.1 on these (which there won't be) they'll flop.. and SH forums general inactivity (there are threads about the Uni BDA's but they're not going anywhere).. I'm going to take two steps back from the whole blu-ray thing until something comes out! borrrring! zzzzz...!!! :p

Sunken Condos is a seriously stunning and rewarding album - right up there with Donald's very best work. Let's hope the multitracks make it out at some point in 5.1 form.

Sunken Condos is a seriously stunning and rewarding album - right up there with Donald's very best work. Let's hope the multitracks make it out at some point in 5.1 form.

What was it DF was quoted? ' It makes no sense to produce a HR - MC version, because everyone just listens on small PC speakers or smartphones anyway"

What was it DF was quoted? ' It makes no sense to produce a HR - MC version, because everyone just listens on small PC speakers or smartphones anyway"

Yeah something like that for sure.. I think he also said something along the lines of Elliot (Scheiner) would be looking into it (paraphrasing wildly sorry I can't find a link to the interview, was it Sound & Vision?) I guess Mr. Scheiner won't be going down that road now he's quit Surround for Baseball..?

Fred blue I can tell you what I ate for dinner 45 years ago I can tell you my best friend's name when I was ten but dear God for the life of me I don't know what The Fray happened yesterday I think it was sound and vision

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

I contacted Elliot Scheiner (via his agent) when Sunken Condos came out and asked him if a 5.1 mix was forthcoming. He pointedly replied that Donald hadn't asked him for one :( I'd be shocked if we ever got one. It's a damn shame, given the quality of all the other Scheiner mixes of Donald Fagen (and Steely Dan). I just hope the Scheiner mix of Pretzel Logic sees the light of day...

I see we’ve missed welcoming you in properly @Jazzer, my sincere apologies; (2011) entry!
All the best to you in 2020 and beyond, and may your “Surround Dreams” come true.
What’s your latest title purchase?
:hi

Thanks! I have felt at home here since 2010, although I rarely post. Latest purchases have included XTC Psurroundabout Ride and King Crimson's The Construkction of Light - both transformed from their original sources in a great way. I saw Steely Dan live when they were last in the UK, and that really was a thrill! I think Donald would be delighted to release the outstanding Steely Dans and Sunken Condos in surround - if he could be persuaded that there is a viable market.
Best wishes, peace and love to all.

Yes, I've listened to this again over the last few days and I think I short changed it somewhat at the time. Some seriously nice grooves on this. Wrote a DVD of it and it sounds wonderful

Back