New Dream Theater and 5.1 as well

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It won't be high-rez... do not count on it.

The bonus DVD will be DVD-V.

Well "Systematic Chaos" has arrived and it is only in DD, but on first listen it sounds good, both the music and the mix. And given the small morsels chucked out by the record companies at the moment, I think we should recognise the efforts in bringing a new surround album into the open!

The DVD bonus version is only a limited edition, so I recommend looking out for it before it's gone. I'll post more after a proper listen. And it should prepare me for their concert in London in October - can't wait!

Well "Systematic Chaos" has arrived and it is only in DD, but on first listen it sounds good, both the music and the mix. And given the small morsels chucked out by the record companies at the moment, I think we should recognise the efforts in bringing a new surround album into the open!

The DVD bonus version is only a limited edition, so I recommend looking out for it before it's gone. I'll post more after a proper listen. And it should prepare me for their concert in London in October - can't wait!

True, but they already made the effort to mix the whole album in 5.1. Would it have been that much more of an investement to make the Bonus disc a DVD Audio?

Anyway, this is (IMHO) the best DT record since Awake. They had some good moments on some of their discs after I&W and Awake (Scenes from a memory, 6 degrees, even Train of thought) but SC ranks right up there. Sure, it's not a revolutionary new concept, but they do what they do and they do it well. Let's hope for a DVDA release...

The DVD bonus version is only a limited edition, so I recommend looking out for it before it's gone.
It is a "Special Edition" but doesn't seem limited, in some stores it was easier to get than the CD :eek: Of course it can go out of print after a while.
HDJK
Would it have been that much more of an investement to make the Bonus disc a DVD Audio?
Probably the record company is thinking: Who buys DVD-A anyway? :( (I know I would)

The trend is to go with DVD-V (Warner calls it MVI or something), this one has a 90 minutes documentary by Mike Portnoy. That wouldn't leave room for DVD-A (on a single layer disc).

Probably the record company is thinking: Who buys DVD-A anyway? :( (I know I would)

The trend is to go with DVD-V (Warner calls it MVI or something), this one has a 90 minutes documentary by Mike Portnoy. That wouldn't leave room for DVD-A (on a single layer disc).

I guess you're right. It's such a shame that there were two competing formats (SACD/DVD Audio) that prohibited mass adoption. I hope the same thing won't happen to Blu-ray/HD DVD.

Dump the documentary, or include a DVD9. No reason why not apart from sheer bloody mindedness.
The stereoheads get 24/96 LPCM in these ghastly MVI discs.....yet we are stuffed with Dobly.

Dump the documentary, or include a DVD9. No reason why not apart from sheer bloody mindedness.
The stereoheads get 24/96 LPCM in these ghastly MVI discs.....yet we are stuffed with Dobly.

Neil, I agree with you 100%. How do we get the message out to those music record big wigs that just don't seem to have a clue. There is definitely a market for proper surround disk's as Steve Wilson is doing with his catalogue.

Its to bad as both this and Rush's latest are pretty good titles and we can't hear it best format possible.

Back