New DV Releases for January 2021! (Mott the Hoople, BTO, Burton Cummings, Grover Washington Jr!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in CT and received my Steven Wilson TFB in the mail yesterday and the mail truck just made his stop today. "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."
Ya right...I seem to recall that postal worker Newman (from 'Seinfeld') didn't swear by that.😲

Hi, newbie to the forum here, but certainly not a newbie to surround sound audio, I have quite a large collection. Just received my BTO I & II last week (I already own their catalogue on vinyl and CD) and I'm quite impressed with the quality. I found the mixes a little low on the treble so boosted it up a little - BTO's records have always had great bright treble, especially the snares and pack a real punch. These two early albums were always a little muted in the mix imo compared with, say, Not Fragile, but generally a great addition to my collection. I'd love to get the surround mix of Head On, my favourite BTO album which I know was mastered in Quad. I contacted Dutton-Vocalion info desk to see if it's on their radar, but no answer unfortunately. I wish companies that invite queries would at least acknowledge customers' requests!

Hi, newbie to the forum here, but certainly not a newbie to surround sound audio, I have quite a large collection. Just received my BTO I & II last week (I already own their catalogue on vinyl and CD) and I'm quite impressed with the quality. I found the mixes a little low on the treble so boosted it up a little - BTO's records have always had great bright treble, especially the snares and pack a real punch. These two early albums were always a little muted in the mix imo compared with, say, Not Fragile, but generally a great addition to my collection. I'd love to get the surround mix of Head On, my favourite BTO album which I know was mastered in Quad. I contacted Dutton-Vocalion info desk to see if it's on their radar, but no answer unfortunately. I wish companies that invite queries would at least acknowledge customers' requests!
Welcome to the club. AdeSwat.

Michael Dutton doesn’t tip his hand until he’s ready to announce a new release open for orders(and no, DV doesn’t do pre-orders). Be assured, however, that DV reads this forum and is well aware of what you’ve posted. Just remember that DV is a business and it is very complex labyrinth they have to negotiate to even get the rights to recordings.

Michael Dutton doesn’t tip his hand until he’s ready to announce a new release open for orders(and no, DV doesn’t do pre-orders). Be assured, however, that DV reads this forum and is well aware of what you’ve posted. Just remember that DV is a business and it is very complex labyrinth they have to negotiate to even get the rights to recordings.

So best not to ask this fine company about a Quad animals release.

Little side note. I am ripping the SACD of Mott The Hoople, it's no big deal and esy to correct once I get it in my JRiver player.
Two Discs: Disc one has all the Quad and Stereo of The Hoople, and 5 tracks of the stereo of All The Young Dudes, whereas Disc 2 the final 4 tracks of All The Young Dudes, and all the stereo tracks of Mott.
I just think that it was weird to split between two discs the stereo of All The Young Dudes between two discs.
Not a big deal for people who rip there discs, but kind of annoying if you don't do that and have to switch discs to finish All The Young Dudes.

Last edited:
2021-02-09 12.16.23.jpg

And...my ship(ment) just came in. I've literally been asking for the Stokowski Mahler 2nd for 15 years, so that's probably where I'll go first, although there's a lot of great stuff here. Also threw in the Don Gillis as a lark and only realized later this is the only release in print (as far as I can tell) of the composer's own recordings. For reference the Epoch sampler was free and bottom four discs were a pound each (Ingrid Jacoby is a Dutton digital recording, Gillis is licensed mono, the other 2 are from 78s).

Last edited:
Yup, part of their program of recording all his symphonies. Albany Records now owns the Berkshire Record Outlet, and last I checked you can get these for $2 direct from there. Not to sidetrack too much.

Just checked Berkshire Record Outlet and only one is available as an SACD ... the rest are RBCDs ONLY! But thanks anyway, ubertrout.

BTW, am anxious to hear your appraisal of the two 'exceptional' Pierre Boulez D~V discs. IMO, January's D~V Classical batch was EXCEPTIONAL!!!!!

Last edited:
Just a note to those 'annoyed' that they have to have the stereo albums stuck on the disc with the quads.

Come one, lighten up. For example, the Burton Cummings is:

Product ID 2CDSML8583
Price: £19.99
USD: $24.86 approx EUR: €22.15
2,683 JPY

So, it's $24.86. If this was released by AF a few years ago, you'd be jumping at the chance to buy it at $25 as the list would have been $30 or more - just for the quad/stereo of one album! So just think of the extra albums as bonus tracks, even if they are "only" in stereo.

For the Mott the Hoople release, for example, it's way worth it just to get the pristine sounding stereo track of their biggest hit "All the Young Dudes". So, if you never touch the stereo tracks, who cares? It's not like you had to buy a big box set and pay $100+ to get the quad mix.

And this allows D-V to broaden it's customer base as, and I know this might be hard for you all to believe, there are way more folks out there interested in the HiRez stereo tracks of these albums than the quads, so this allows D-V to keep on putting this stuff out. Really, it's a win-win. You have to think positively here. It's not THAT MUCH MORE!!!

Just checked Berkshire Record Outlet ......

I remember going to the Berkshire Record Outlet back in the early '80s. Back then (it might be still) it was basically a huge barn filled with racks of records. I pulled a lot of quad LP's out of their bins. They would have multiple copies of really rare cut-outs. One time I remember I found 20 copies of the double LP of the Modern Jazz Quartet Live. It was the first time I'd ever seen that LP in quad.

Glad to hear they're still around.

I remember going to the Berkshire Record Outlet back in the early '80s. Back then (it might be still) it was basically a huge barn filled with racks of records. I pulled a lot of quad LP's out of their bins. They would have multiple copies of really rare cut-outs. One time I remember I found 20 copies of the double LP of the Modern Jazz Quartet Live. It was the first time I'd ever seen that LP in quad.

Glad to hear they're still around.
Yup! I visited their physical location about five years ago and it was mostly a warehouse with a few discs on the in the front lobby shelves. It's mostly classical now, and focused on the Tanglewood crowd and mail order. Since then it's moved to Albany, but kept the name, and they don't have any public area for browsing.

Just a note to those 'annoyed' that they have to have the stereo albums stuck on the disc with the quads.

Product ID 2CDSML8583
2,683 JPY

So, it's $24.86. If this was released by AF a few years ago, you'd be jumping at the chance to buy it at $25 as the list would have been $30 or more - just for the quad/stereo of one album! So just think of the extra albums as bonus tracks, even if they are "only" in stereo.

For the Mott the Hoople release, for example, it's way worth it just to get the pristine sounding stereo track of their biggest hit "All the Young Dudes". So, if you never touch the stereo tracks, who cares? It's not like you had to buy a big box set and pay $100+ to get the quad mix.

And this allows D-V to broaden it's customer base as, and I know this might be hard for you all to believe, there are way more folks out there interested in the HiRez stereo tracks of these albums than the quads, so this allows D-V to keep on putting this stuff out. Really, it's a win-win. You have to think positively here. It's not THAT MUCH MORE!!!
Very well said & it needed to be said Jon!
We are all getting a bargain from DV.

Last edited:

Product ID 2CDSML8583
2,683 JPY

Absolutely no complaints from me. I would have purchased my acquired discs if they were only available in Stereo on SACD.

View attachment 62928
And...my ship(ment) just came in. I've literally been asking for the Stokowski Mahler 2nd for 15 years, so that's probably where I'll go first, although there's a lot of great stuff here. Also threw in the Don Gillis as a lark and only realized later this is the only release in print (as far as I can tell) of the composer's own recordings. For reference the Epoch sampler was free and bottom four discs were a pound each (Ingrid Jacoby is a Dutton digital recording, Gillis is licensed mono, the other 2 are from 78s).
Just listened to The Three Cornered Hat and the complete Mahler 2nd. Both excellent. Really impressed with the sound. I'll note that for the Mahler especially I'm cognizant of the discrete information and instruments in the surrounds, but the mass of sound in the symphony makes it more of a holistic whole than a ping-pong extravaganza (which is what I prefer anyway).

Well...I came to this game late...and have ALREADY spent a small fortune on OOP discs 🤑
I am jealous of you all who figured this out long ago 👍🏼
Late in one sense, but right on time with these D-V releases (and other contemporary re-releases, Rhino Quadio sets for example).
Some day these D-V discs will be out of print (ouch, perish the thought!), and they'll command high prices too.

Back