New DV Releases for January 2021! (Mott the Hoople, BTO, Burton Cummings, Grover Washington Jr!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One layer of bubble wrap around the discs before folding it shut might be enough in 95% of the cases to protect the cases. Not much effort or cost.
First of all, I don't want to sound overly critical toward DV, I sincerely think they are doing a great job!
I noticed on some past orders that DV had been using a single layer of bubble wrap over the CDs then the form-fitting cardboard.
But on my orders this time, NO!
My order came in 2 shipments. It was for 14 titles, the size of the packages were 6 titles & 8 titles. [Simon @ DV told me that 12 cds was the largest amount that could go in 1 order.]
FWIW, I think splitting them into 6 & 8, instead of say 4 & 10,etc. was a good choice by them. Plus, the rule of GOS was still being maintained:).
The 8 title shipment had 3 cracked/damaged cases. The 6 was perfect! ...so, go figure?
So yes, I wish also, unless very cost prohibitive, that they might consider improvements to the packaging some.
But I'm not a 'hardliner' on this & it's definitely not a deal breaker for me!
DV is doing an excellent job overall. Thank you DV... cracked cases & all!
I'm a customer for life....

Last edited:
This has been addressed before, but just to reiterate, the vast majority of these "cracked case" issues originate with customers in the US. D-V believe the issue lies with the sorting machines that the USPS use exerting too much clamping force on the packages. They've experimented with using bubble wrap in some cases - I'm not sure if it's with areas or customers that have had a specifically high number of instances of shipping damage, or if they just had it on hand.

The only solution to this clamping force issue would be to ship in boxes, but between the material costs (box, bubble wrap) and the increased postal cost a package like that would incur, the doubling or tripling of the shipping cost they'd have to pass on to customers make it a total non-starter. Believe it or not, even with the economical shipping prices D-V offer, they still field plenty of "why aren't your shipping prices as cheap as Amazon?" types of complaints - to me it's a question with an obvious answer, but also somewhat mystifying given that D-V somehow manage to send CDs to Canada at more than half the price it would cost me to send the same kind of package to the UK.

I know it's annoying when something new arrives damaged, and Simon, D-V's head of shipping is in constant communication with all of their shipping partners about how to do things better, but if it is a case of the procedures of one postal service causing the issue it's somewhat beyond their control. I'm not telling anyone what to think, or how to feel, but given that replacement CD cases are cheap (even the price gougers at Acoustic Sounds sell them for a buck a piece) I think that route is the lesser of two evils versus massive shipping cost increases when it comes to the issue of cracked cases.

I have sold on ebay for well over 15 years with thousands of positive feedbacks, and now on Disocgs with quite a few positive sales internationally as well.

That's all.

First of all, I don't want to sound overly critical toward DV, I think they are great!
I noticed on some past orders that DV had been using a single layer of bubble wrap over the CDs then the form-fitting cardboard. But on my orders this time, NO!
My order came in 2 shipments. My order was for 14 titles, the packages were 6 titles & 8 titles. [Simon @ DV told me that 12 cds was the largest amount that could go in 1 order.] Splitting them into 6 & 8, instead of say 4 & 10,etc. was a good choice by them. Plus, the rule of GOS was still being maintained:).
The 8 title shipment had 3 cracked/damaged cases. The 6 was perfect! ...so, go figure?
I wish also that they would improve the packaging some. But I'm not a 'hardliner' on this & it's not a deal breaker for me!
DV is doing a really excellent overall job. Thank you DV!
I think on my next order I will simply and kindly ask that a single or double layer of bubble wrap be around the discs before they seal up the pack. If I order 6 or 8 discs, that might not eat into the profits too much. We'll see how it goes and report back.

This has been addressed before, but just to reiterate, the vast majority of these "cracked case" issues originate with customers in the US. D-V believe the issue lies with the sorting machines that the USPS use exerting too much clamping force on the packages. They've experimented with using bubble wrap in some cases - I'm not sure if it's with areas or customers that have had a specifically high number of instances of shipping damage, or if they just had it on hand.

The only solution to this clamping force issue would be to ship in boxes, but between the material costs (box, bubble wrap) and the increased postal cost a package like that would incur, the doubling or tripling of the shipping cost they'd have to pass on to customers make it a total non-starter. Believe it or not, even with the economical shipping prices D-V offer, they still field plenty of "why aren't your shipping prices as cheap as Amazon?" types of complaints - to me it's a question with an obvious answer, but also somewhat mystifying given that D-V somehow manage to send CDs to Canada at more than half the price it would cost me to send the same kind of package to the UK.

I know it's annoying when something new arrives damaged, and Simon, D-V's head of shipping is in constant communication with all of their shipping partners about how to do things better, but if it is a case of the procedures of one postal service causing the issue it's somewhat beyond their control. I'm not telling anyone what to think, or how to feel, but given that replacement CD cases are cheap (even the price gougers at Acoustic Sounds sell them for a buck a piece) I think that route is the lesser of two evils versus massive shipping cost increases when it comes to the issue of cracked cases.
The problem is the thin sticky cardboard mailing material they use - it just isn't protective enough for multiple CDs in international transit. Ordering 6 or 12 at a time has meant that my past few orders have arrived without issue, but there's a little bit of passing the buck here. If I order from Presto or somewhere else overseas the discs are sent in a proper box with padding inside.

HOWEVER - I'd much rather D-V kept its current packing system if it meant releasing even one less disc to change it, if that makes sense. All of this is secondary to the music, and I'm extremely grateful for everything we've gotten.

I’ve received some cracked cases from D-V in the past, but they have been few and far in between. I’ll gladly replace a cracked one on my end if I can continue to receive great D-V hires SACD two-fers at their more than reasonable price point. No complaints here!

I've had my share of cracked Cases from D~V over the years but the cost of replacement cases is SO cheap as to be a moot point.

The D~V price point for their QUAD/STEREO SACDs is SO SO [almost ridiculously] inexpensive, replacing the fractured cases @ roughly 50 cents each is REALLY NO BIG DEAL!

IMO, save the KVETCHING for those uber expensive box sets with either crappy surround mixes and/or LOSSY DVD~Vs!

D~V's QUAD/STEREO SACDs ain't lossy and there's VERY little to complain about in terms of discrete surrounds...which ABOUND!

Last edited:
My only comment to add is sometimes I have had a cracked broken case that damages the inserts
No problem buying replacement cases but fixing torn and bent up inserts is another issue.
That only happened to me twice.

Otherwise thank you DV carry on and time for the April releases.

For what's it's worth I have not had a single cracked DV case in many orders here in Australia. Maybe our mail sorting machines are more gentle?

I know it's annoying when something new arrives damaged, and Simon, D-V's head of shipping is in constant communication with all of their shipping partners about how to do things better, but if it is a case of the procedures of one postal service causing the issue it's somewhat beyond their control.
So, charge more to ship to the States and use the kind of packaging Burning Shed does. I've had zero crushed cases from them. It can't possibly be that much more expensive than their current packaging. It's not like the Shed is a giant corporation. I'd be happy to pay more for shipping.

Thanks steelydave, I hadn't read this elsewhere on the forum. I've had luck so far, no cracked cases, even with a few odd-quantity orders. But quite right - it's a minor thing compared to the music, and value for the price. No complaints from me D-V!

Most likely Mott sold better than BTO or Burton and is simply out for the moment. But yeah, it does appear it's run out of stock everywhere.
(edit)
Oh wait, you said removed from the DV site. Oh????

Last edited:
A post on shf reports Mott has disappeared from D-V web site, out of stock everywhere else he looked. o_O

WOW.
Literally picked mine up yesterday from the Post Office.
Glad I ordered it.
I believe I have OldQuadGuy to thank for making me re-think this.
“Mott” is one of my favorite albums.
After weeping openly that it was not multichannel, I had to ask myself:
“Self - is it worth paying this (reasonable) price JUST to have “Mott” on SACD even if it is stereo only?”
The answer came back:
“Better get it before it’s gone, you out-of-print-price-paying fool!”
So there you have it...sometimes even a blind squirrel gets a nut 🐿

Can you say "Billy Cobham - Spectrum prices" :p

Giving thanks D-V didn't go the "numbered limited edition" route.

Paid $112 💸 last year for my Spectrum sealed backup copy #0003, which will become part of my estate.
Assuming my primary disc #1070, bought five years ago for $26.38, doesn't go south.

More useful & fun for me than owning a 1/10 gold kruggerand. 🇿🇦 :D

Back