New DV Releases for January 2021! (Mott the Hoople, BTO, Burton Cummings, Grover Washington Jr!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprising, to me, that I haven't pulled the trigger on any titles from this crop.
I think the only one I'm truly interested in is the BTO. Maybe I should snag it, along with a killer classical title. Suggestions?

the BTO is excellent but the Burton and Grover sets are to me must-have's also, Baggy Baggster Baby!! 🤗 👨🏻🎷

Surprising, to me, that I haven't pulled the trigger on any titles from this crop.
I think the only one I'm truly interested in is the BTO. Maybe I should snag it, along with a killer classical title. Suggestions?

Look NO further, Hot Stuff!

81u-0kYVTDL._AC_SL1429_.jpg
91z6pduk-HL._AC_SL1429_.jpg

The above reminds me the D-V Tomita quads are quite discrete, if you have any interest in 70s "switched-on" synthesizer style classical.

What do you like? My personal guess given your fondness for prog and heavier stuff (I know, wildly and maybe incorrectly generalizing) is the Mahler 2nd Symphony (aka the "Resurrection Symphony"). The Stokowski recording isn't a discrete-fest but it uses the surrounds effectively IMO. It's massive and powerful and...universal. Just my guess.

81jigabuqEL._SL600_.jpg

What do you like? My personal guess given your fondness for prog and heavier stuff (I know, wildly and maybe incorrectly generalizing) is the Mahler 2nd Symphony (aka the "Resurrection Symphony"). The Stokowski recording isn't a discrete-fest but it uses the surrounds effectively IMO. It's massive and powerful and...universal. Just my guess.

81jigabuqEL._SL600_.jpg
I like Mahler's passion and dynamics!

Being that you like progressive rock and wildly played pieces in quad, I would go for these two before other classical suggestions. They are a slightly more radical departure from conventional sympnonies.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7383
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7360

Being that you like progressive rock and wildly played pieces in quad, I would go for these two before other classical suggestions. They are a slightly more radical departure from conventional sympnonies.

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7383
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7360
I'm hurt that you don't know I've had and loved Boulez Conducts Bartok for quite some time!!! I even have it on Quad vinyl, in case anybody wants it!!!

Sold out and awaiting repress, nothing more, nothing less - and a good sign in my opinion!
A very good sign!

I've been sitting still on buying from this batch because I've been waiting for a follow-on batch to order from at the same time.
Last time I ordered, this batch dropped within a month. I've got to be the karmic log jam in their release schedule because it's
happened at least twice now! "Nothing new until 'that guy' on QQ commits and buys something from the last release."

Hearing about Mott is a wake-up call though - when it comes back into inventory I'll just have to place my order!

Due to Brexit I still have not received (to Sweden) the Mott and the Burton I ordered as soon as they were announced. Poor Simon at DV (excellent customer service by the way) has now sent me the third parcel with the same content. One of them is lost in the mail space and one has been returned to DV.

But low and behold, yesterday I received a letter from the Customs that the third parcel has actually reached Sweden - never thought I should be happy to pay customs duty, but this time I am :)

Give it another week and I will have the precious discs in my hand, already three months after ordering them (y)

A very good sign!

I've been sitting still on buying from this batch because I've been waiting for a follow-on batch to order from at the same time.
Last time I ordered, this batch dropped within a month. I've got to be the karmic log jam in their release schedule because it's
happened at least twice now! "Nothing new until 'that guy' on QQ commits and buys something from the last release."

Hearing about Mott is a wake-up call though - when it comes back into inventory I'll just have to place my order!

I can confirm steelydave's statement that it's just out of stock: in a panic I emailed Dutton yesterday to ask if the Mott SACD was coming back and they responded it should be available again in 2-3 weeks.

Very happy to have received a response, especially with good news!

Back