New DV Releases for January 2021! (Mott the Hoople, BTO, Burton Cummings, Grover Washington Jr!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sk4iQ65.jpg

I wonder how much of the added cost is actually something other than an extra physical disk. I mean, I'll bet the disks themselves are relatively cheap, maybe less than a buck or so to have them pressed. But what about associated costs? Do the SACD royalties get paid on a per disc basis or a per release basis? Does the publisher get paid on a per disc basis or a per title basis? How much do packaging costs increase when going from 2 to 3 disks, etc.

It used to be about $2.50 per SACD to press a few years ago...have no idea what the current rate is. But we should ALL keep in mind 3 albums on 2 SACDs for £19.99 is a BARGAIN ROYALE. AP and MoFi would charge $90 list for 3 Stereo SACDs with NO QUAD.

Yes all fair points. I'd happily pay extra to have the extra disc but perhaps many wouldn't. I'm just being a bit of a grouch if I'm honest.
Fair is fair, as long as the folks reading this understand it's not the general consensus here.

I ordered this set but would have paused to pay GBP 30 instead of 20. Obviously people who are real fans might well be happy to pay extra, and that's a tradeoff.

In the future, D-V might want to look at having one disc for the stereo/multichannel album, and use the second SACD for all stereo-only content (I know there's been other albums like Argent with the similar 3-album structure, only one in multichannel). It's a pain to switch the player from multichannel to stereo, and the playing time for a stereo-only SACD, even without compression, should be more than long enough to hold two albums of essentially any length. I know this might be a little confusing to people, but I think the upside would be more than the downside.

Fair is fair, as long as the folks reading this understand it's not the general consensus here.

I ordered this set but would have paused to pay GBP 30 instead of 20. Obviously people who are real fans might well be happy to pay extra, and that's a tradeoff.

In the future, D-V might want to look at having one disc for the stereo/multichannel album, and use the second SACD for all stereo-only content (I know there's been other albums like Argent with the similar 3-album structure, only one in multichannel). It's a pain to switch the player from multichannel to stereo, and the playing time for a stereo-only SACD, even without compression, should be more than long enough to hold two albums of essentially any length. I know this might be a little confusing to people, but I think the upside would be more than the downside.

Unlike the hybrid SACD which contains the backward compatible RBCD layer and maxes out at 80 minutes, a single layered SACD could hold over 2 hours+ of hi res Stereo content but it would not suit D~V's core base which may not have SACD compatible players and opt to play just the CD layer which D~V has cannily priced in accordance with their RBCD pricing.

Below is a chart from Wikipedia regarding the SACD:

• Hybrid: Hybrid SACDs are made with a 4.7 GB SACD layer (also known as the HD layer), as well as a CD (Red Book) audio layer readable by most conventional Compact Disc players.[18]
  • Single-layer: A DVD-5 made with one 4.7 GB SACD layer.
  • Dual-layer: A DVD-9 made with two SACD layers, totaling 8.5 GB, and no CD layer. Dual-layer SACDs can store nearly twice as much data as a single-layer SACD.[c]

Unlike the hybrid SACD which contains the backward compatible RBCD layer and maxes out at 80 minutes, a single layered SACD could hold over 2 hours+ of hi res Stereo content but it would not suit D~V's core base which may not have SACD compatible players and opt to play just the CD layer which D~V has cannily priced in accordance with their RBCD pricing.
Perhaps the better solution for the SACD layers would have been to put the second two albums on disc 2 in their entirety, while keeping the Redbook layers as-is. Analog Spark have done something similar where they'll release a double album on one hybrid SACD and one standard Redbook CD, with the full double album contained on the SACD layer of disc 1, but spread across both discs for Redbook.

Perhaps the better solution for the SACD layers would have been to put the second two albums on disc 2 in their entirety, while keeping the Redbook layers as-is. Analog Spark have done something similar where they'll release a double album on one hybrid SACD and one standard Redbook CD, with the full double album contained on the SACD layer of disc 1, but spread across both discs for Redbook.

JJ, Analogue Productions has gone the same route with a couple of their SACD Stereo releases as well putting the overflow on RBCD but I don't know if DV would be amenable to that. Might be confusing to their core base who buy those hybrid Mch~CH SACDs and just pop them into their CD [only] players.

1 example: Peter Paul Mary-In Concert-Hybrid Stereo SACD|Acoustic Sounds

Below is a chart from Wikipedia regarding the SACD:

• Hybrid: Hybrid SACDs are made with a 4.7 GB SACD layer (also known as the HD layer), as well as a CD (Red Book) audio layer readable by most conventional Compact Disc players.[18]
  • Single-layer: A DVD-5 made with one 4.7 GB SACD layer.
  • Dual-layer: A DVD-9 made with two SACD layers, totaling 8.5 GB, and no CD layer. Dual-layer SACDs can store nearly twice as much data as a single-layer SACD.[c]
I understood all this. But even with a CD audio layer you can get far more than 2 hours of music on the SACD layer. BIS got 5 hours at least on their single-layer issues, and even without compression on a single layer you can easily fit 90+ minutes of music. The CDs would have the split layout of course.

Intesting BTO credits... the "special thanks" on the bottom indicates that the quad masters were found in Japan?

I see that, too. Possibly?? I mean, was there not a Q4 reel and CD-4 of some BTO titles over in Japan? Interesting though about the Iron Mountain credit, as well. Methinks they may have had to dig deep to find these tapes? Hopefully the other three have been found as well.

Back