New DV Releases for January 2021! (Mott the Hoople, BTO, Burton Cummings, Grover Washington Jr!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you that have ordered from the Vocalion Website, how long does it take to get your orders when choosing the various ship methods to the United States? I’m located in Southern California. Is it worth choosing Priority Shipping?
I ordered six discs from the previous batch of releases, on December 26th, and I think they arrived in southern Maine two to three weeks later. I already don't remember exactly when they arrived. It seemed to me that it was the usual shipping time based on my prior orders.

And, shortly I'll be doing it again with all of these great releases! I'm going hold off for a little while though, to hear reviews about the classical releases in this batch.

I've never heard the quad mixes of Four Wheel Drive and Head On, though I seem to recall reading here that they're less discrete-sounding than the other three. Can you comment?
They are all fantastic. After the first album I like the two tiles you just mentioned most of all! All the BTO's have things going on simultaneously from all four speakers, the type of quad that you just can't get from matrix!

sSshv1u.jpg

So the Mott album arrived and I was excited but who in their right mind puts 3 albums over 2 cds (SACDs)? The Hoople is on disc 1 (and sounds great in Quad) with 5 tracks from Dudes and the other 4 Dudes' tracks are on disc 2 with Mott. Also my player (Oppo 205 so pretty good) plays the first 9 tracks on disc 1 very well and it sounds great but the 5 tracks from Dudes doesn't show up. I know they are there because I put the disc in my PC and I can see them (in CD quality), just not play them through my player. So disappointing as I wanted to hear these albums in SACD quality.

So the Mott album arrived and I was excited but who in their right mind puts 3 albums over 2 cds (SACDs)? The Hoople is on disc 1 (and sounds great in Quad) with 5 tracks from Dudes and the other 4 Dudes' tracks are on disc 2 with Mott. Also my player (Oppo 205 so pretty good) plays the first 9 tracks on disc 1 very well and it sounds great but the 5 tracks from Dudes doesn't show up. I know they are there because I put the disc in my PC and I can see them (in CD quality), just not play them through my player. So disappointing as I wanted to hear these albums in SACD quality.

Your player is programmed to play the MULTICHANNEL SACD tracks and in order to hear the stereo tracks on the same disc you have to reprogram it to play stereo.

i think you need to start Disc 1 in Stereo playback mode and then skip to the first of the 5 tracks from Dudes, otherwise the Oppo will ignore those Stereo only tracks if you start in Multichannel mode and stop at the end of The Hoople.

i think you need to start Disc 1 in Stereo playback mode and then skip to the first of the 5 tracks from Dudes, otherwise the Oppo will ignore those Stereo only tracks if you start in Multichannel mode and stop at the end of The Hoople.
Yes seems that way but what a cumbersome system. Having 3 discs in the package would prevent this problem.

Mind you I'm still not happy that the three albums are provided over two discs.

its quite common for small labels in the UK operating on tight margins to present 3 albums across 2 discs. Cherry Red/BGO do the same with their 3-fers. a 3 disc release would likely have a higher RRP and possibly put buyers off.

Yes seems that way but what a cumbersome system. Having 3 discs in the package would prevent this problem.

It is a bit of a pain (of the First-World Problem variety)--but I expect that for the sake of economy, Dutton are trying to fit as much music onto as few discs as possible. I can't think of many better bargains.

Of course, if you have the capability--and the inclination--to rip backups of your SACDs to a hard drive and use a dedicated computer (or NUC, etc.) connected to your AVR to play those files, then the problem of having to insert a new disc and/or switch playback mode goes away...

It is a bit of a pain (of the First-World Problem variety)--but I expect that for the sake of economy, Dutton are trying to fit as much music onto as few discs as possible. I can't think of many better bargains.

Of course, if you have the capability--and the inclination--to rip backups of your SACDs to a hard drive and use a dedicated computer (or NUC, etc.) connected to your AVR to play those files, then the problem of having to insert a new disc and/or switch playback mode goes away...
Yes all fair points. I'd happily pay extra to have the extra disc but perhaps many wouldn't. I'm just being a bit of a grouch if I'm honest.

Last edited:
Mind you I'm still not happy that the three albums are provided over two discs.

You'd really be bonkers playing the multi/stereo SACD of BEST of JACINTHA [Groove Note] in which 5 tracks are multi and the remaining 10 are stereo. When inserting the disc, the OPPO shows 5 tracks only [the multis] when programmed to play MULTI and then you have to switch to stereo to play the remaining tracks. A great album to be sure but ultimately frustrating!

Jacintha: Best of Jacintha

SACD

Last edited:
Yes but at higher cost!
I wonder how much of the added cost is actually something other than an extra physical disk. I mean, I'll bet the disks themselves are relatively cheap, maybe less than a buck or so to have them pressed. But what about associated costs? Do the SACD royalties get paid on a per disc basis or a per release basis? Does the publisher get paid on a per disc basis or a per title basis? How much do packaging costs increase when going from 2 to 3 disks, etc.

Back