New ELS Acura systems are pretty bad. Sadly

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Well, I did the unthinkable. I traded in my DVD-A capable 2014 Acura RDX for a non-DVD-A capable 2017 Acura RDX, thinking that I had the chance for the newer car with the newer safety stuff, and that I could surely live with having "only" DTS-CD capability. Right? - - - Ugh.

Now I know some of you will think "Poor guy" sarcastically, as you may not be able to afford a car in this price range and to those thinking that, well, I was once like you, didn't have enough money in my ATM account to take out $20 before payday, but as time marches on, if everything goes right, you may end up old, but you'll be in better financial shape than when you were young. So, that's me: Old, but not broke. And - I get a boost from my job to get a new car every 3 years.

:violin

So, back to the car. Well, the car is great! The audio system SUCKS. The once beautiful deep bass that I got from things like "Snowbound" from Kamakiriad is gone, long gone. The clear concise cymbals that used to shine now sound like someone hitting a piece of tin foil from a piece of refrigerated cold fried chicken.

Such a let down. Sure, it's surround. I brought out "Hell Freezes Over" to set everything up, and even with the Highs, Lows, Sub, and Center boosted to the max, it pales in comparison to my 2014 RDX ELS DVD-A system. I am going to create a few test DTS-CDs with test tones and frequency sweeps to see if I can tweak this system a bit, and maybe I will look into replacing the speakers.

It sure seems like the only thing ELS about this newer audio system is the ELS notation on the car sticker. It does not even say ELS on the dash anymore.

Now I realize that in the next model refresh the disc player will be gone as everyone in the world will be strictly USB and Bluetooth music, but it sure would be nice if a car audio manufacturer out there would make an audio system that played 5.1 flac files from a USB stick in the future.

Until then I have my memories. :(

Progress? Who needs progress............

PS - If any of you have gone from DVD-A Acura to DTS-CD Acura, chime in here. I'd love to hear what your thoughts might be.

I'm very sorry to hear this - I would have bought your RDX! I test drove a 2015 TLX recently and got some decent performance out of a couple of DTS-CDs, but just the thought of converting 100s of DVD-As to DTS-CDs stops me in my tracks.

I'm very sorry to hear this - I would have bought your RDX! I test drove a 2015 TLX recently and got some decent performance out of a couple of DTS-CDs, but just the thought of converting 100s of DVD-As to DTS-CDs stops me in my tracks.

I made a DTS Test disc with frequency sweeps and tones this weekend and ran it through the car. After tweaking and listening it seems I have found 2 things.

One is that it sounds to me that the new system has less power than the older ELS DVD-A systems. This system just does not have the oomph.
This system sounds better when it's cranked almost all the way up, another indication that it's weak power wise.

Another thing I need to look into is that it has some sort of noise cancelling crap that engages when the car starts moving. I think this can be turned off somehow. Over in the Acura forum, someone posted that this can be done from a secret menu, but it is not held so you have to do it everytime you start the car.

What a pain. Again, the car is pretty nice. It's a trip to have "cooled seats". I tried that today for the first time. Very strange. But the audio is very disappointing.

I traded in my DVD-A capable 2014 Acura...

Jon, I may be interested in going the Acura DVD-A route soon. I'd need to keep the price down and I think I'd prefer the SUVs to a car (in case we expand the family soon).
Is there are certain model and range of year you recommend? The RDX looks cool. There's also the MDX. Any preference? And it's ELS I'm looking for?

Well, I did the unthinkable. I traded in my DVD-A capable 2014 Acura for a non-DVD-A capable 2017 Acura, thinking that I had the chance for the newer car with the newer safety stuff, and that I could surely live with having "only" DTS-CD capability. Right? - - - Ugh.

Now I know some of you will think "Poor guy" sarcastically, as you may not be able to afford a car in this price range and to those thinking that, well, I was once like you, didn't have enough money in my ATM account to take out $20 before payday, but as time marches on, if everything goes right, you may end up old, but you'll be in better financial shape than when you were young. So, that's me: Old, but not broke. And - I get a boost from my job to get a new car every 3 years.

:violin

So, back to the car. Well, the car is great! The audio system SUCKS. The once beautiful deep bass that I got from things like "Snowbound" from Kamakiriad is gone, long gone. The clear concise cymbals that used to shine now sound like someone hitting a piece of tin foil from a piece of refrigerated cold fried chicken.

Such a let down. Sure, it's surround. I brought out "Hell Freezes Over" to set everything up, and even with the Highs, Lows, Sub, and Center boosted to the max, it pales in comparison to my 2014 RDX ELS DVD-A system. I am going to create a few test DTS-CDs with test tones and frequency sweeps to see if I can tweak this system a bit, and maybe I will look into replacing the speakers.

It sure seems like the only thing ELS about this newer audio system is the ELS notation on the car sticker. It does not even say ELS on the dash anymore.

Now I realize that in the next model refresh the disc player will be gone as everyone in the world will be strictly USB and Bluetooth music, but it sure would be nice if a car audio manufacturer out there would make an audio system that played 5.1 flac files from a USB stick in the future.

Until then I have my memories. :(

Progress? Who needs progress............

PS - If any of you have gone from DVD-A Acura to DTS-CD Acura, chime in here. I'd love to hear what your thoughts might be.

Jon, that does suck as after finally getting a Acura 3 years ago, I think my next car won't be a Acura as you said all new ones don't have the Dvda available any more and thats a show stopper for me(think I might go green and get a electric car as my next car hopefully not for a while as enjoying my expensive sound system on wheels).
Wouldn't the sound be inferior because its DTS instead of DVDA as at home if I listen to DTS vs DVDA if both are a choice DVDA always sounds way fuller and crisper.
Does suck if they put in worse speakers,amp etc as well in the cars, thats just not COOL......

Can you trade back and get your old car back again :)

Jon, I may be interested in going the Acura DVD-A route soon. I'd need to keep the price down and I think I'd prefer the SUVs to a car (in case we expand the family soon).
Is there are certain model and range of year you recommend? The RDX looks cool. There's also the MDX. Any preference? And it's ELS I'm looking for?

For what it's worth, I have had a TL and RDX. I now drive the 2013 RDX. Both systems have upsides. They are both great though. Better bass in the RDX, better mids in the TL, is my experience.

I love my RDX. of course no one at acura knows what the ELS and DVDA world is.

The RDX is a good little SUV, based on the Honda CR-V. The "Tech Package" is the option that gets you/got you the ELS DVD-A system from 2009 to 2015.
The first gen RDX's had Turbo's and Super Handling All Wheel Drive and are good cars but a bit more expensive to maintain because of the Turbo's and the SH-AWD. However, they are fast and handle great.
The second generation RDX's are better on gas mileage and a bit more refined, less sporty feeling.
The third generation started in 2016 and deleted the DVD-A.

I am sure there are many Tech Pacakge RDX's out there from 2009-2015 to choose from. I would suggest starting at a place like CarMax. I took my 2014 there to get a price before I went to the Acura dealer so I knew what the car was really worth, and that place looked pretty impressive. The also have a return policy so if you have one near you it's probably worth at least checking out. I would guess that if you went to an Acura dealer you would pay more for a used car. They make more money on cars they take in trade than they do with new sales - until the service numbers click in!

The DVD-A in the RDX is superb. I already miss mine. As long as you get a car that is in good shape and not abused, it's a great DVD-A player to ride around in!!

Jon, curious to hear if the noise cancelling setting affects this in any way. Which Acura model did you get?

I have continued to send Acura Client Relations e-mails on this topic, though I expect nothing other than a courteous response. Just as an FYI, I sent them the following this morning:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dear Acura Client Relations,

I know I may be beating a dead horse here, but here is one last (and final, I promise) example of a number of Acura fans like myself who are also DVD-A addicts talking about the lack of DVD-A support in the current lineup of Acuras. The thread starter has owned several Acuras with DVD-A capability and raved over the sound systems for years, until he got a 2017 Acura and has found it very lacking. Please check out this link: (link to this thread)

I am glad to see that you are also looking into improved smartphone integration, the time for that has been here for a few years now. I would like to think that DVD-A support and modern cell phone integration could co-exist, at least as long as you are supporting disc media.

I will stop bothering you on this topic! Not sure what my next car will be, I am seriously considering getting a used 2014 Acura Tech to extend the usefulness of my DVD-As.

Thanks for your courtesy.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hey Jon;

6 Acura's since 1998; 3 since 2004, with DVD/A playback, & now a 2015/TLX/SH-AWD/Tech/ELS
Observations: miss my DVD/A playback immensely; nothing like it; too many discs to complain about
That being said; Gaucho/DTS, sounds cleaner than the DVD/A; IMHO
Had a guy down south make me a dozen or so DTS/bootlegs; surprisingly pretty good; not DVD/A, but acceptable
Jethro Tull/Aqualung, Donald FagenThe Nightfly, The Who/Quadrophenia, Steely Dan/Two Against Nature
There are others, but the former discs sound damn good; not DVD/A good, but acceptable, none the less
I agree that the system lacks oomph; the lows are abbreviated, but the mid-range & highs seem fine
Believe me, I wasn't happy that my 50+ DVD/A's are no longer playable, but life goes on
BTW: I've had the shitty ZF/9 speed transmission replaced by Acura after 15 months of SW upgrades, complaints, etc.
Car is now up to spec, & a 290 HP engine that weighs almost 4,000 lbs., gets 37MPG, on the open road at 75MPH! impressive

After reading some of the posts in the Acura forums, it appears that the Acura ANC (Active Noise Cancelling) may be what is making these new ELS systems so disappointing. For those interested here are two threads from that forum discussion the issue:

http://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-...anc-do-not-work-properly-together-car-919478/

http://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-...or-audio-quality-2016-rdx-advance-pkg-934757/

I will be checking this stuff out and post back what I find. I do know that if I set the volume to almost max it does approach the sound in my old RDX with the difference being that it's not HiRez but just 16/44.1 and DTS Encoded.

Don't know how you are coping, Jon. The day I have to depart my 2013 Acura MDX with ELS will be very difficult. There's nothing like cranking up the volume of EJ's "GYBR," Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" and anything from SD/Donald Fagen with the Acura ELS. Considering I don't even have a home DVD-A player, my MDX is my one and only soundroom. Hope you get the ANC issues worked out.
ELS_Speaker.jpeg

So Sorry jon, this is truly a sad story. I don't believe that Elliott scheiner actually has anything to do with that system anymore, and I am surprised that they are still calling it an els system. Sounds like a bastardization to me. Too bad. And yes active noise cancellation is complete bullshit.( Please push white noise into my music.) Me thinks you need to watch ebay for an old kenwood or pioneer dvda capable unit.

This is why I just bought a 2013 TSX Tech to replace my 2005 TL. I will now hold onto it for dear life.

I have never understood wanting surround in the car. Such a compromised listening environment. Most drivers and passengers sit waaay off from any potential sweet spot, and the driver's attention needs to be directed to driving, not listening to music. Stereo is bad enough if there's a lot of discrete information.

Now I know some of you will think "Poor guy" sarcastically, as you may not be able to afford a car in this price range and to those thinking that, well, I was once like you, didn't have enough money in my ATM account to take out $20 before payday, but as time marches on, if everything goes right, you may end up old, but you'll be in better financial shape than when you were young. So, that's me: Old, but not broke. ...

I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing you are past 50 like me...
I also thought that , the older I got , the better my financial situation would be....unfortunately, it hasn't worked out that way...
This is getting to be an existentialist post, but I wonder if (or when) "I took the wrong turn at Albuquerque"...
I hope that this situation improves, cause it's quite depressing...
Maybe I'm living in the wrong country ..or studied something that was not worth it...or paying some serious karma...

Oh well..
Sorry for the derail and for your new Acura system sucking big time..
I personally could not handle a Surround system in my car...I get distracted enough in stereo and a subwoofer...as it is I have a paltry 50 watt per channel Kenwood radio (no CD player) with a USB in...the SW is quite powerful (18" 250W), but it's not very "accurate"...still , I enjoy some really deep bass..

Wouldn't there be a way of replacing your system?

To have good, powerful sound is the most important thing for me - when it comes to cars. I even choosed a hatchback because it have the best bass respons for the subwoofer - and made sure it was easy to install an aftermarket stereo. I was more interested in how many amps the alternator could put out - than how many hp's the engine had :) Did some work to make sure it sound as good as possible:

IMG_8240web.jpg

A Pioneer head-unit with 3 way active crossovers and time-alignment - this makes it possible to get a perfect sweetspot in the driver seat:

IMG_7484-copyweb.jpg

I don't think I will do all this work on another car - so I am stuck with this one. I have listened to premium sound systems in newer cars but they are nothing compered to what I now have. And it is very hard to accept a downgrade in sound quality.

The only thing is that it is not surround sound.

I can tell you all unequivocally that surround sound is not a distraction in a car. It's a joy, absolute joy. Especially if it's in HiRez. What do you think you're going to do, turn your head and look for the sax in the back seat and then crash your car?

No. :)

I have never understood wanting surround in the car. Such a compromised listening environment. Most drivers and passengers sit waaay off from any potential sweet spot, and the driver's attention needs to be directed to driving, not listening to music. Stereo is bad enough if there's a lot of discrete information.

I beg to differ, A car can be an excellent listening environment, albeit not perfect, and if you have a good enough system that is set up even partially right the whole car is the so called "sweet spot" I have a 45 min commute each way and I love every minute of it. And to be honest a gps unit is far more distracting than rocking down the highway to some killer hi rez surround tunes.

Jon, I am so sorry to hear about this. I have just extended the lease on my 2013 Acura ZDX for another year, just so I can hang on to the DVD-A capability. It's my third Acura with ELS (had two TL's before this), and it will be a huge loss when it's finally time to say goodbye.

Out of curiosity, how is the stereo sound on your new system? I am considering a 2017 MDX, but also thinking about a Lexus RX with the Mark Levinson system, if I have to be stuck with stereo listening (I stream all of my music from my home server to my iPhone at full lossless quality).

Back