New Emotiva Atmos PrePro

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just saw this.

BasX MC1 13.2 Channel Dolby Atmos® & DTS:X™ Cinema Processor

that's a very competitive price. Atmos compatability in a seperate for $1000 !!!

but,
No balanced surround outs.
No MC inputs
No name brand room correction (only the Emo house brand)

But I don't have/need any of that stuff now.

If one can push digital MC audio into that rear USB port, this may be a game changer at the price.

I know all the Emotiva knocks.

New products are generally buggy.
They promise updates but don't deliver.
They don't repair discontinued products.

In my experience, some of them are more true than others.

I've had an Emotiva UMC-200 7.1 Pre/Pro for years now. Its rock solid as far as I'm concerned. After one trip back for service (for a minor issue with a non functional trigger signal), it has performed perfectly and reliably. The BasX MC1 looks like the Atmos equivalent.

At the price I'm tempted to preorder it, leave it sealed, and wait for reviews to roll in. It can always be returned or resold. But one thing I'm convinced of, it isn't going to get any cheaper, and will in fact likely get more expensive, especially with the supply chain disruptions. The UMC-200 sells for nearly as much today as it was when new.

Last edited:
It can't. It is limited to stereo 16/44.1/48. Too bad. But not a deal breaker.
If one can push digital MC audio into that rear USB port, this may be a game changer at the price.

Let me tell you a funny story.
Years back, when Emotiva introduced their XMC-1 prepro at CES, I asked one of the execs if the USB input would support multichannel. He asked an engineer who said that it would handle only stereo. I then asked why since (1) it is a multichannel product and (2) it is simply a matter of inserting suitable firmware. He, again, asked the engineer who (1) confirmed my points and (2) added that he had actually hacked the XMC-1 he has at home to support multichannel. The exec responded by asking why it isn't in the product and the engineer replied that it was not in the design spec.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

Let me tell you a funny story.
Years back, when Emotiva introduced their XMC-1 prepro at CES, I asked one of the execs if the USB input would support multichannel. He asked an engineer who said that it would handle only stereo. I then asked why since (1) it is a multichannel product and (2) it is simply a matter of inserting suitable firmware. He, again, asked the engineer who (1) confirmed my points and (2) added that he had actually hacked the XMC-1 he has at home to support multichannel. The exec responded by asking why it isn't in the product and the engineer replied that it was not in the design spec.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!
For some reason, I’m not laughing at that one Kal. More of a head shaker & groaner.

I have already read somewhere that this is a clone of the Tonewinner AT-300 with the balanced inputs removed..... partly to save on cost but also partly so as not to compete with their higher priced processors. The AT-300 is $400 more.

It can't. It is limited to stereo 16/44.1/48. Too bad. But not a deal breaker.

It's a deal breaker if you want to play MC from USB devices and don't have something like an Oppo 205.

The BasX line is Emotiva's entry level series. (Get it? 😉) That doesn't mean it's not good, and it may still be a deal at its MSRP, but don't expect a TOTL product with that moniker.

Back