New Emotiva Atmos PrePro

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d buy them again, but maybe I’d see about tantalum caps instead of aluminum, now that I have a place I can work on them.
Tantalum capacitors aren't normally recommended for audio. While they are generally smaller and have less leakage they are less linear than aluminum. I was using them for audio in the seventies until I learned about that fact. Use any type of film capacitor even polyester (Mylar) rather than electrolytic if you can fit them in. There are audio grade aluminum electrolytics available as well if you must use them.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/ptm/n/nichicon/audio-capacitors/tutorial

I also read that the Tonewinner version of this product can configure the #2-4 analog stereo inputs to be 5.1 analog in. I don't believe the Emotiva version can do that, but there is talk of a possible firmware upgrade to accomplish it.

That is a very in-demand feature around these parts.

Hmm... I want to upgrade my old UMC-1.

There's a used XMC-1 with HDMI-2 inputs.... and then there's the Bax X MC1.

The old XMC-1 has the analog 7.1 inputs that I currently use, but the Bax X has more decoding features.

I think I can get the XMC-1 for cash a bit lower than the Bax X.... I have a 7.0 system currently setup and have no plans on going with Atmos or anything like that. The main reason for replacing the UMC-1 is that it burned up its 12 vdc trigger output...

I will have to wait for the Bax X.

So, what exactly makes the Bax X better (or worse) than a low mileage XMC-1 Ref 2 with the upgraded HDMI board?

Help me here before I pull the trigger.

Hmm... I want to upgrade my old UMC-1.

There's a used XMC-1 with HDMI-2 inputs.... and then there's the Bax X MC1.

The old XMC-1 has the analog 7.1 inputs that I currently use, but the Bax X has more decoding features.

I think I can get the XMC-1 for cash a bit lower than the Bax X.... I have a 7.0 system currently setup and have no plans on going with Atmos or anything like that. The main reason for replacing the UMC-1 is that it burned up its 12 vdc trigger output...

I will have to wait for the Bax X.

So, what exactly makes the Bax X better (or worse) than a low mileage XMC-1 Ref 2 with the upgraded HDMI board?

Help me here before I pull the trigger.
If you have absolutely no plans on going Atmos, I'd go with the XMC-1. I have both a UMC-200 and a MC-1. For 5.1/7.1 playback I would choose the UMC-200. It includes 7.1 analog inputs and can perform bass management (but not room EQ) without down sampling the signal. Two features that the MC1 does not have. I like the UMC-200 so much that I'm keeping it in the system for straight MCH. The MC1 will be used for Atmos only.

If you have absolutely no plans on going Atmos, I'd go with the XMC-1. I have both a UMC-200 and a MC-1. For 5.1/7.1 playback I would choose the UMC-200. It includes 7.1 analog inputs and can perform bass management (but not room EQ) without down sampling the signal. Two features that the MC1 does not have. I like the UMC-200 so much that I'm keeping it in the system for straight MCH. The MC1 will be used for Atmos only.

Thanks..

So here's my options:

(1) Pay 200 bucks to have a tech and look inside the UMC-1 and have him fix the burnt out 12 volt trigger (might be more... and why did it burn out in the first place?)

(2) Buy a better/newer unit.

(3) I would prefer to keep the 7.1 analog inputs, so that means either making an offer on the XMC-1 or find a UMC-200. I would like to have the HDMI v2 though, and the used XMC-1 has them. I don't use the fancy HDMI features but my TV is new and it has them...

(4) I don't do equalization or anything like that.

Thanks..

So here's my options:

(1) Pay 200 bucks to have a tech and look inside the UMC-1 and have him fix the burnt out 12 volt trigger (might be more... and why did it burn out in the first place?)

(2) Buy a better/newer unit.

(3) I would prefer to keep the 7.1 analog inputs, so that means either making an offer on the XMC-1 or find a UMC-200. I would like to have the HDMI v2 though, and the used XMC-1 has them. I don't use the fancy HDMI features but my TV is new and it has them...

(4) I don't do equalization or anything like that.
I would not repair the UMC-1 for $200.

How much is the XMC-1 going for?

The guy wants 1000 bucks, I'm ready to offer 550 cash.... I can drive up and pick it up, it's just 15 miles up the freeway.

There's also a 200 on eBay.... I think I can get it for 300 bucks but it has to ship from Canada.

The guy wants 1000 bucks, I'm ready to offer 550 cash.... I can drive up and pick it up, it's just 15 miles up the freeway.

There's also a 200 on eBay.... I think I can get it for 300 bucks but it has to ship from Canada.
It would be a bargain at $550. The lowest I've seen them sell for is $700-$800. Let us know how it works out.

It would be a bargain at $550. The lowest I've seen them sell for is $700-$800. Let us know how it works out.

Well, that's the start... it's a negotiating anchor.

I honestly don't really need an upgrade now, and I'm spending money on updating my 70s receivers right now ( got the Marantz 2325 done, now a Sansui G7500 and an Akai AS980 after that... likely the Kenwood integrated/tuner after that)...

Hmm, OTOH, this guy is up the freeway. I wonder if he wants some kind of a trade. I got like six Parasound zAmps.

I don't think it's gonna work out. I offered him cash and a trade... but he wants cash only.

I just paid for the rebuild of a Marantz 2325, got the Sansui G7500 and Akai AS980 being worked and a bespoke pair of DIY Pass Aleph 2 monos coming up... so I guess I can live without the 12 VDC trigger.

Mostly, since I got to pull a bunch of wired and amps when I put in the Nuforce MVP20, I figured I'd do it all at once.. but in reality this makes my job easier.

What do you think? Do you use it for decoding Atmos and DTS:X. Have you used it's HDMI ARC option from a TV?
I don't use ARC. I don't use DTS-X. I use it only to decode Atmos vis disc, Apple, and .m4a rips. Search the Emotiva site and AVS forum for info on how it handles ARC. I think some buyers had complaints, others didn't. Seems gear dependant.

Things I like about it:
Great price. Mine was only $750 with emo bucks and the introductory price.
No HDMI issues except it's slow to switch inputs.
Nice slim-line profile
Nice backlit remote
No issues with the audio quality.
For what I use it for it performs flawlessly.

Things I don't like about it:
The room correction routine is total rubbish. The saving grace is it does have manual PEQ, but the number of bands is limited on the surrounds and height channels.
No MCH analog in.
USB input is limited to 16 bit stereo.
It down samples everything to 48 kHz, regardless if room correction is used or not.
No way to play Atmos in 5.1/7.1. The Atmos decoder takes control whenever it detects an Atmos signal.
There is no pure analog mode. All analog inputs get digitized.
No AM/FM. Tuner.

Other things you may like or that may or may not bother you:
Sourced from Tonewinner
No balanced outputs, except for the two sub outputs.
Does allow for front wides, but does not engage them on upmix.

I also own an Emotiva UMC 200. It does not digitize analog, does have 7.1 analog in, does have a pure analog mode. Amazingly, it will also provide bass management at full 96kHz. Does have an AM/FM tuner. Better room correction algorithm with 10 independent PEQ bands for every channel. For playback of all my ripped MCH files, it is the better performer, at least on paper. I can't really discern the difference going from from 96 to 48kHz, with RC off. Its also the better performer when using analog sources, like a turntable. I can detect that difference, but barely.

I use them both regularly via a 6 channel switch. I only use the MC-1 for Atmos playback.

This all works well for me. YMMV. Audio Science Review tested it. It did poorly as most AV products do at ASR. Emotiva calls it a "Cinema" processor for a reason. It is not geared toward the purist.

Would I buy it again? Used in the way I use it, yes.

Many thanks @LuvMyQuad

In reality I can only see myself using the Emotive BasX MC1 for Atmos (and DTS:X) decoding to six over-head speakers. So if it can do this well then anything else it's able to offer is a bonus.

Until found this topic I wasn't aware of ToneWinner AT-300 so I'll see if this is available within the UK too.

Edit: I've just discovered there's another processor called an Iota VX AVX17, which is available in the UK.

Last edited:
Back