New Eno release in Atmos.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the SDE site: "It was fascinating approaching this Atmos mix with Brian in the room. He approached the mix in an extremely unorthodox fashion, removing the concept of a ‘front’ in the mix stage. It’s a fully immersive experience unlike others I have mixed. The song was still kept at the heart of the Atmos transformation though and he paid enormous attention to the position of each element and how that supported the piece as a whole. There will be also be differences from the stereo mix other than the spatial reimagining, due to the creative process that involved certain elements being subtly different from the original stereo masters."

EMRE RAMAZANOGLU, MIX ENGINEER FOR THE ALBUM

It doesn't come with the previous slipcases for #1 and #2. I must have misunderstood the slipcase arrangement when it was first announced. That only happens if you buy Shakespear's Sister, a band I'm not into.

Oh well. Apart from that, this will almost certainly be good. How could it not be?

Don't know if there's anybody on the fence for this one, or who's not heard of Eno, but the clock is ticking & the chatter has died down a bit.
Seven days left to get an order in.

I've periodically gotten immersed in Eno's music and collaborations for decades now.
By a strange synchronicity, just last month picked up two books about him.

Certainly one of the more interesting and unique eccentrics, 50-plus year career of being a "non-musician."

IMG_7627.jpeg

This morning listened to Manzanera's Diamond Head after a long break, still fresh-sounding.

1663793125879.png

Discography from 1995.
Easy to forget the diversity of his collaborations, besides inventing or at least naming ambient music.

IMG_7631.jpeg

Magazine covers spanning the years.

IMG_7628.jpeg

IMG_7629.jpeg

IMG_7630.jpeg

Don't know if there's anybody on the fence for this one, or who's not heard of Eno, but the clock is ticking & the chatter has died down a bit.

I've periodically gotten immersed in Eno's music and collaborations for decades now.

Certainly one of the more interesting and unique eccentrics, 50-plus year career of being a "non-musician."

View attachment 83788

This morning listened to Manzanera's Diamond Head after a long break, still fresh-sounding.

View attachment 83789

Discography from 1995.
Easy to forget the diversity of his collaborations, besides inventing or at least naming ambient music.

View attachment 83792

View attachment 83790

View attachment 83791

View attachment 83796

Wendy Carlos's Sonic Seasonings is pretty much considered to be the first ambient album. Released six years before Eno coined the term. A lovely album by her. And that's no criticism of Eno, of course. He seized the day with it and I'm sure would agree the accolade should go to Carlos.

I didn't know Eno had a hand in the Neville Bros wonderful Yellow Moon album! Must dig it out and play it again.

And thanks for the reminder to pick this up. I was a bit put off by SDE.com reneging on the promise that the first two slip cases would be included with a future purchase, but really, I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. :)

Last edited:
This is really awesome. It's great to see more ambient/electronic releases being released into surround because of Atmos. Pre ordered!

View attachment 83788

View attachment 83789

Discography from 1995.

View attachment 83792

View attachment 83790

View attachment 83791

View attachment 83796
Very cool - I still have a copy of that edition of Wired.
I also remember trying out one the DX-7 settings that he included in the Keyboard magazine article you show above.
He's always had an interesting take on things to say the least.

Of course already ordered - I'm looking forward to this SDE release!

To save myself some time searching I'd like to ask this here. I have zero Atmos experience.
Will an Atmos BD play in 5.1 with my Oppo 93 over analog outputs, and provide a semblance of intended placement?
"The Dolby Atmos mix will 'fold down' to 5.1 or stereo if a Dolby Atmos decoder is not detected. "

To save myself some time searching I'd like to ask this here. I have zero Atmos experience.
Will an Atmos BD play in 5.1 with my Oppo 93 over analog outputs, and provide a semblance of intended placement?
"The Dolby Atmos mix will 'fold down' to 5.1 or stereo if a Dolby Atmos decoder is not detected. "

1664297745510.png

I can't speak to the analog outs bit, but I'm playing the Atmos stream now (from an early/review blu-ray copy), via OPPO BDP-103 --> HDMI --> 7.1 pre/pro (Emotiva UMC-200) and it's playing back in Dolby True HD 48k. Sounds fantastic on this system. Full range 5.1 (1992 Klipsch KG 5.5's and 5.2's).

Back