NEW FORUM SECTION: "Fix the Mix"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Maybe a specific area of the forum can be created, "Fix The Mix", including there all the finds done in the past about authoring problems.
One section for analog (which will be 99% Q8) with list of swapped channels etc;
One section for digital, which can include:
- the above issue of LFE phase invert and /or delay
- the messed channels configuration (example: TYA A space in time DVD, swap f/r)
- the "we tried to 5.1fied a quad mix but we did a dud" (example: Deep Purple Stormbringer dvd)
- other stuff (example: the l/r delay on the Sly&FS GH stereo track)

I mean, there's a wealth of information in this forum that is really precious; having a single point for collecting all this stuff will be important for the years to come, especially for the newcomers.

This was a great suggestion from QQ member winopener, so I checked with Angie to see if it could be done.

Angie has graciously created this new forum section so that we can gather all of the technical issues we've discovered over the years with surround releases that were let out with strange issues and glitches.

In an effort to keep the number of forums in check, instead of having different forums for analog and digital issues, we will try and flag each thread as digital or analog. This way you can easily distinguish which threads are which.

We know a lot of them right off the top of our heads, but there are others that have gotten lost in the decades of forum posts. So, you can help if you recall certain threads that point out errors or that contain fixes that can be done on a release, please point them out in this thread and I or another admin will move them here so that they can easily be found.

A big thanks to Angie for making this happen, and for all of those who find these mix-ups and let us know about them.

Excellent - one thing I would suggest is that before creating any threads in this forum, please do a search and see if there's a pre-existing thread anywhere. If there is, either report it (via the 'Report' button (and put something in the note about how it belongs in the 'Fix the Mix' section) or reply to the thread and tag a moderator (like @JonUrban since he apparently loves this stuff šŸ˜ ) so someone's made aware of it.

I have NO idea whether Mr. Scheiner engaged the various artists' participation in his surround remixes but after reading about ALL these faux pas, no wonder Steve Wilson does prefer and actually encourages that participation when he engages in a surround remix.

See the source image
NOW YOU KNOW WHY!

Last edited:
I added new thread prefix icons for digital and analog to flag each thread so that members can easily identify each thread by the source files. This is a bit cleaner than having to add DIGITAL and ANALOG to the start of each thread title in the text.

Again, Angie was great about allowing me to do this, so "Cheers!" to her and the forum group.

Would be useful to have "pinned" in some way a single post of the dedicated thread with the "conclusion" so for the ones that have to rework all the stuff they have a quick and clear solution?

Or maybe a specific thread, with post ONLY by moderators, that in every single post there is a single solution for a single album.
For example:

(post 1)
NEIL YOUNG - HARVEST (dvd-audio)
Fix: swap the front and back channels to the tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7
Link to discussion: www.quadraphonicquad... etc

(post 2)
TEN YEARS AFTER - A SPACE IN TIME (2014 4.1 release)
Fix: swap front and back channels

(post 3)
DEEP PURPLE - STORMBRINGER (DTS DVD 5.1 release)
Fix: dump the center channel, LFE either invert the phase and reduce level by 20dB, or dump it as well.

What do you think?

Would be useful to have "pinned" in some way a single post of the dedicated thread with the "conclusion" so for the ones that have to rework all the stuff they have a quick and clear solution?

Good idea. Not sure who will manage this though?

Wouldn't the many posts about the old Jeff Beck Blow by Blow SACD phase fix belong here? (For those who for whatever reason don't want to buy a newer corrected version)

Back