New gen immersive music upmix - Dolby Atmos, DTS X, Aura 3D

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, mine is nothing special. Everything is routed through my Denon X4400H (PC included)
So, probably I just don't have things set up right for windows based atmos.

to be clear, if your connection from your PC is hdmi, the ONLY way to get the 12ch files to play is with the special player. Foobar2000 will not work.

Guess I'll add some atmos encoded stuff to the folder though, or maybe a separate folder.

OK - so I did download the player, etc. That got me closer. For sure, what I'm hearing is 2 sets of signals coming from my surrounds. It calls them surround and surround back, or something like that.

My front heights get 2 sets of signals. It calls them both Front and rear heights. So, something is off a bit.

It sounds like the 7.1 is playing properly on your 5.1

It sounds like your front height speakers are getting all 4 heights, however.

What does the black console window of the player say for your channel layout? Mine looks like this:

1575142200764.png

That info is coming from my HT, telling the player what speakers I have and where in 3d space they are.

Mine looks identical. On the other hand, something I notice. When I right click on my speaker icon on my taskbar, select Advanced Setup, then in new window I can select Dolby Atmos Home Theater. Click NEXT, then it shows me this diagram with check boxes. Yet, that diagram is NOT an Atmos setup...so not sure why it only gives me those options after selecting Dolby Atmos.

1575142864463.png

I think that is a red herring (the windows speaker layout) The audio driver doesn't know about atmos, only how to pass it undecoded to your HT.

The Atmos ENcoding magic happens in applications like Games or in our case the special spatial player.

Do you have an atmos 7.1.4 speaker ID test? I probably have an Atmos Demo disc here somewhere.

I think that is a red herring (the windows speaker layout) The audio driver doesn't know about atmos, only how to pass it undecoded to your HT.

The Atmos ENcoding magic happens in applications like Games or in our case the special spatial player.

Do you have an atmos 7.1.4 speaker ID test? I probably have an Atmos Demo disc here somewhere.

No, I don't. The only test I have is within the Denon, when you set up the system. ONce you get all your speakers setup, it goes speaker by speaker and sends a test tone and in my case, does it flawlessly. Again, as a 5.1.4 system.

Does it make me wonder if I've got some setting wrong?

I can tell this thread is liable to get tangled pretty soon, so if it's easier to PM, @zeerround , feel free.

But even before the latest back-and-forth between you and @GOS , I was wondering how easily I'd be able to do the comparative listening you're looking for feedback on--only because of the vagaries of how my Windows 10 laptop connects to my AVR (a Marantz 1607) via HDMI. (The Marantz 1607 will only do Atmos 5.1.2, by the way--and that's what I've got.)

So in the Windows sound settings, my default "device" is "marantz-AVR | AMD High Definition Audio Device." The thing is, the settings for that device driver also seem to require that I select a specific default "Speaker Setup"--Stereo, 5.1, 7.1, or Dolby Atmos for Home Theater (or Windows Sonic for Headphones)--by right-clicking the speaker icon in the system tray. I've checked 5.1; the corresponding listening mode displayed on the front panel of the AVR is "MultiChannel In."

Here's the problem with that: it plays 5.1 source material (whether from foobar2000, VLC, or SPECWeb) just fine, of course. But if I feed it a stereo source (without changing the speaker setup to "stereo"), it effectively fails to apply DSP settings in the AVR. That is: "MultiChannel In" directs a stereo signal only to the fronts, while "MCh In + DD" (the Dolby Atmos upmixer) plays in only fronts and heights. Nothing in the rears, center, or sub. (The "MultiChannel Stereo" DSP, for some reason, spreads the signal around all 7 speakers, as it's meant to.)

So if I'm gonna use @zeeround 's files to do an A-B comparison between upmixers, I won't be able to quickly switch back and forth between listening modes using my AVR remote. Not impossible, just kind of a pain. If anybody knows how to tweak the Windows Sound settings for this device driver so that it will detect the audio source type on the fly, automatically, let me know!

Last edited:
Back