New Jethro Tull album spring 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably get this from Lasercd but would like to hear another track before buying. After a couple of listens, the first single is good, but not essential IMHO - however it may be a grower and will certainly be more engaging in surround. One thing is sure, though - this packaging is much more attractive than the last Ian Anderson scowl ;).

IMHO it's pretty incredible and a testiment to his spirit that he's still writing and putting out material. To my ears this release sounds *very* good.
He's clearly struggling with the vocals (who wouldn't, singing with COPD? ...many sufferers struggle to breath!) but he can still hold his pitch, and has been careful to match the melody to his much reduced range. As his vocal has reduced in prowess his flute has eclipsed it. In fact AFAIK he originaly conceptualised this album as instrumental with his flute taking the lead, hence the name.
The song itself and the musicianship is right up there with the best Tull since the late '80s (IMHO.)
Add Bruce to the mix (pun intended) and we have a *very* exciting prospect. :)

Of course, I like it. Bring it on
With all due respect to Ian Anderson, I'm still having trouble accepting the vocal. The Blu-ray price is ridiculous. I will never listen to The Zealot Gene again because of the singing.

With all due respect to Ian Anderson, I'm still having trouble accepting the vocal. The Blu-ray price is ridiculous. I will never listen to The Zealot Gene again because of the singing.
I saw Tull on
the last tour and with all due respect, it was painful to listen to him sing.
Though I give him credit for still giving it a go, it’s not working.
I was thinking they ought to do an instrumental tour - sans vocals.
I would be up for that - it could be great, actually 🤩

I saw Tull on
He should just hire the same singer he used for the more "difficult" parts on TAAB2 and Homo Erraticus: Ryan O'Donnell.

I saw Tull on
Instrumental albums would be great. Divinities tour at Massey Hall was a great experience. Second half with vocals

The music as always is compelling, but Ian's voice, so carefully controlled and narrow in range, simply no longer is. It doesn't sound bad, just not nearly as impactful as the music behind it. Since his flute playing is as good as, if not better, than it ever was it's too bad they don't release instrumental albums - but I have no doubt the bean counters have determined (and rightly) that instrumental albums would never sell as well, especially labelled as Jethro Tull but sans vocals. I can also understand why Ian Anderson would resist bringing in another lead vocalist under the iconic band name he led for so many years. I'll probably pick up the deluxe set, but like the Zealot Gene, it will probably not be something I reach for when I'm looking for a Jethro Tull fix.

The music as always is compelling, but Ian's voice, so carefully controlled and narrow in range, simply no longer is. It doesn't sound bad, just not nearly as impactful as the music behind it. Since his flute playing is as good as, if not better, than it ever was it's too bad they don't release instrumental albums - but I have no doubt the bean counters have determined (and rightly) that instrumental albums would never sell as well, especially labelled as Jethro Tull but sans vocals. I can also understand why Ian Anderson would resist bringing in another lead vocalist under the iconic band name he led for so many years. I'll probably pick up the deluxe set, but like the Zealot Gene, it will probably not be something I reach for when I'm looking for a Jethro Tull fix.
Perfect.

When I first got a surround system, one of the first things I bought was a Wilson-remixed Yes album. One of the joys for me was the inclusion of an instrumental mix of the album.

If an instrumental mix was included with new JT albums, I’d be more inclined to buy them. It’s not so much that I have an issue with the state of Ian’s vocals right now. For studio albums, it doesn’t bother me and I don’t feel he still has to sound the same as he did years ago. It’s more just the reality of how much time I have to listen to music and what I prefer to spend that time with.

Back