New Jethro Tull music The Zealot Gene 1st in 22 years!!! CD/BluRay Jan. 18

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Jethro Tull
The Zealot Gene (various formats pre-order)

Jethro Tull returns with its first album of all-new music for 22 years.

Evoking Biblical writings in a wholly different way from the now 51 year old Aqualung, The Zealot Gene - in the making since 2017 - is a darker album for darker times.

Music born of emotional necessity put together by a band with nothing to prove, The Zealot Gene is a worthy addition to a peerless catalogue.

Available in multiple formats, including CD, LP, 2CD+Blu-ray and a limited deluxe 3LP+2CD+Blu-ray Artbook edition with bonus demo material and including an LP only available in this package, plus blu-ray feat. 5.1 surround sound mix, turntable slipmat and hand-numbered print. Artbook contains extensive liner notes including an interview with Ian Anderson conducted by Tim Bowness.

Also available as a red vinyl edition (exclusive to Burning Shed).

Everyone who purchases via the JT store / Burning Shed will be entered into a raffle to win a lyric sheet hand-written and signed by Ian Anderson (personally dedicated to the winner).

Pre-order for 28th January release.

Well, we had not so long time ago TAAB2 under Ian Anderson's Jethro Tull, so the 22 years comment can be a little bit of a commercial exageration...

Here's a new song from the forthcoming album:

Fairly typical of recent JT/IA songs.

The squeaky Youtube aesthetic aside, this sounded more real than I expected after some of the freeze dried offerings from the last 20 years. Hope this is just an expert or edit from something more interesting and complex!

I can't find anywhere who did the surround mix for this new album. I'm guessing Jakko.
Hope not!

This sounds pretty decent to me. I agree with the above that I hope this is just a part of a longer composition. But now I am interested in hearing more.

My son is adamant that it shouldn't be called a Jethro Tull album unless Martin Barre is on it. And he is surprised Anderson is calling it that. I know he has the trademark and all, so he has every right, but I kind of agree with my son.

My son is adamant that it shouldn't be called a Jethro Tull album unless Martin Barre is on it. And he is surprised Anderson is calling it that. I know he has the trademark and all, so he has every right, but I kind of agree with my son.

Well, my first thought when seeing this thread was, "It's a Tull album, that means Martin Barre is on it." Too bad he's not, but I'll probably get it anyway because IA has been such a great supporter of multichannel releases.

The new song is solid - although Ian's vocals sound pretty fragile, his flute playing seems as strong as ever. I think as long as he wants to make new rock music featuring flute, it will be worth listening to (especially in surround) so I'll be picking this up. As far as the band name is concerned, there are many bands which become synonymous with a particular player. Despite strong participation from other musicians, it's one player that comes to define a band so strongly that it cannot credibly exist without their participation. Robert Fripp and King Crimson, Peter Hammill and VDGG, Dave Cousins and the Strawbs, even Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree, etc. come to mind. Therefore I have no problem with Ian Anderson claiming the name Jethro Tull.

Haha. What if Tony Iommi went on tour as Jethro Tull with all unknown other members? (I was going to say Mick Abrahams initially but then thought of a more ridiculous example.) I think there have been a few reinvented lineups like this.

Really wish I knew what the hell happened between Martin and Ian
I met Martin a few years ago. He came out to meet the fans after his concert. He was a real class act. Very friendly and easy to talk to.

Really wish I knew what the hell happened between Martin and Ian
I met Martin a few years ago. He came out to meet the fans after his concert. He was a real class act. Very friendly and easy to talk to.
I have no inside knowledge, but I thought I read somewhere it was about who was taking credit for what. There are several on the forum here that likely have better info

I am listening to the 5.1 LPCM now, I went for the big book with the White vinyl etc. I'm quite liking my first listen, the album started out sounding a bit clinical, but it's improved, it's beautifully recorded, the surround by Jakko Jakszyk is not bad at all, which is good.
Edit: The music style reminds me of Ian Andersons TAAB2.

Last edited:
Back