New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but only in mkv or mp4 if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, I think your right. I just don't no how to do.
Finished ripping the disc in MKV, no problems, opened MMH, selected Split MKV to FLAC, to at least get the proper 5.1 and noticed my other selection which started as a 7.1 selection in the disc file, now says ATMOS 18 channels, I assume not going to work but I need to keep digging, be nice if I was to select that it would offer a mp4 choice?

Just be sure to ask Garry to explain it simple enough for even a Pupster to understand; he can go over my head in a heartbeat 🤪
Yes, I think your right. I just don't no how to do.
Finished ripping the disc in MKV, no problems, opened MMH, selected Split MKV to FLAC, to at least get the proper 5.1 and noticed my other selection which started as a 7.1 selection in the disc file, now says ATMOS 18 channels, I assume not going to work but I need to keep digging, be nice if I was to select that it would offer a mp4 choice?
I’m believing more and more that the solution is just to play the disc in the machine to hear the Atmos layer than to go through hell trying to get a ripped file to play. It seems that if one does not stay totally on top of technology every day then one is screwed. 🤪

I’m believing more and more that the solution is just to play the disc in the machine to hear the Atmos layer than to go through hell trying to get a ripped file to play. It seems that if one does not stay totally on top of technology every day then one is screwed. 🤪
I totally agree, that is so simple, however, well you know, got to expand my chops.

I can provide a guide for doing this in Kodi because I've been ripping video for weeks now. I just finished everything I have that is music related (not doing movies, but they are the same)

1. Use MKV to rip the video stream. Within MKV you can select the audio stream you want to use. You can also keep all the audio streams, which is what I initially did at the start, but then stopped doing that because on playback the system would always choose the default audio stream, which is usually stereo. So as the tracks change, each time one starts, it defaults to stereo and then the audio stream you really want needs to be chosen again. By removing all the audio streams but one, it becomes the default. To preserve the Atmos encoding, choose the 7.1 DTS-MA audio stream or the Dolby equivalent
2. Sometimes the resulting tracks are in separate files on the disk. More often, they are part of a large file that contains chapter indexes. You can use MMH to take that long file and break it into separate files. For a release like this Lennon GST, break it into chapters with MMH. For continuous concerts (like David Gilmour, Live in Gdansk), you may not like this method because as there is liable to be a slight pause between tracks. Im still sorting out the best way to do this, as the pauses in a continous show bug me.
3. The resulting video tracks cant be tagged. But they can be renamed. Which you will want to do. MMH will do that for you as well. Using a clip board method you can copy the track list off of the internet and past it into the MMH naming clipboard. Just song titles, no track numbering numbering, no tabs, no special characters. MMH adds the numbers on its own. When done you will have a series of files, all NN. XXX.mkv, where NN is the track number and XXX is the title. You need the numbering so everything plays in the correct order.
4. In Kodi you can get around not having tags by creating an NFO files for each track. MMH does this as well, recursively. Once you have an NFO file for everything it can be loaded into the Kodi Library, selected and played just like music files. Choose a root directory to tell MMH what to process. It will create an NFO for the "album" where it needs to know the Artist, Title, Year and genre. Enter that info and it proceeds to write NFO files for every MKV file in the directory.

continuing,

When step 4 is complete you will have a directory called "John Lennon". In that directory there will be another called "Gimme Some Truth (7.1 Atmos)" or possibly "John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth (7.1 Atmos)". I'll talk about the significance of keeping the artist name in the title shortly. In the directory will be 36 MKV files. Each file is named "NN. Title.mkv", where "NN" = the track number and "Title" = the song title. For each of these files there will be a corresponding file called "NN. Title.nfo". NFO files are text based files that include the info Kodi loads into its library.

Also you will want to go to Discogs, search for the Gimme Some Truth deluxe edition, copy and save the album cover artwork as "folder".jpg in the "Gimme Some Truth" directory. Discogs is also where you can get a tracklist to copy and paste into MMH for the renaming task discussed in step 3. Finally, in the John Lennon directory, you should load up an artist.NFO, logo.jpg and folder.jpg. The logo and folder files here give the artists logo and artist thumbnail photo. I use Mediaelch to generate all that info and I keep it in the stereo section of my music files. So I just copy those same files into the John Lennon video directory. When loaded into Kodi its just like selecting a music track. Browse to the artist, open the album directory and pick your track. The next track plays automatically. The artist photo shows up un the list of artists, and the album cover shows up in the list of albums.

Clear as glass right?

Now, I'm not sure how Jriver manages its library, Mark. Do you know if it has something similar to NFO files?

Last edited:
I can provide a guide here because I've been ripping video for weeks now. I just finished everything I have that is music related (not doing movies, but they are the same)

1. Use MKV to rip the video stream. Within MKV you can select the audio stream you want to use. You can also keep all the audio streams, which is what I initially did at the start, but then stopped doing that because on playback the system would always choose the default audio stream, which is usually stereo. So as the tracks change, each time one starts, it defaults to stereo and then the audio stream you really want needs to be chosen again. By removing all the audio streams but one, it becomes the default. To preserve the Atmos encoding, choose the 7.1 DTS-MA audio stream or the Dolby equivalent
2. Sometimes the resulting tracks are in separate files on the disk. More often, they are part of a large file that contains chapter indexes. You can use MMH to take that long file and break it into separate files. For a release like this Lennon GST, break it into chapters with MMH. For continuous concerts (like David Gilmour, Live in Gdansk), you may not like this method because as there is liable to be a slight pause between tracks.
OK, getting closer, rip the video stream, that makes sense.

It's easy to just pop the disc in your player; but it's also about backing up the music in case of disc rot (which from the PF Dark Side rot, as case in point) can be APITA. Also some of us like to put on a shuffle to play different things and I enjoy that aspect. And maybe not yet relevant to Atmos (yet); if you need to make some channel or amplitude adjustments, you can work the files to get the best out of your system and your aural preferences.

But, we're off course here into Atmos territory more than this Lennon release.

Not sure when I'll get the chance to listen to the whole thing carefully, but I enjoyed the Atmos mix on my first pass through this last night. Nice bass overall and more use of the surrounds with the more modern tracks. I remember being pleasantly surprised by "Steel and Glass"

That's exactly the point. Once the two are level-matched, you'll notice the rear channels on the Dolby mix are louder.

How about someone gather all Jon's waveform screencaps and related posts on this release into one thread? Right now they're distributed across *three threads*, "Listening to Lennon", the HiRez Poll thread, and this one .

Last edited:
Everything you need to know, from me, anyway, is in this post:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...imate-remixes-blu-ray-audio.29202/post-521348
You can see it in the wav forms with your own eyes and very clearly. You don't have to be an expert in wav forms to see the rears of the DTS are lower with respect to the fronts and center in the DTS and in the Dolby all 5 channels are relatively at the same level.

I put it in the poll section because the vote a member makes on te 5.1 will be skewed one way or another depending on which 5.1 mix they listen to. The DTS-HD 5.1 has lower volume levels in the rear channels. The Dolby 5.1 has all channel levels equal. I do not know why this is, but that's the way it is. It's THE SAME MIX, just the levels are lower in the rears on the DTS 5.1. And what makes it very annoying is that the level of the rears is not lowered by the same dB amount on every song. It's very wonky.

My advice to everyone who only has 5.1 and wants to listen to it or rip it for listening on a media server is this. RIP AND LISTEN TO THE DOLBY, NOT THE DTS.

Last edited:
How about someone gather all Jon's waveform screencaps and related posts on this release into one thread? Right now they're distributed across *three threads*, "Listening to Lennon", the HiRez Poll thread, and this one .

I suppose I could do that but it would be very disjointed. Maybe I'll work on that tonight. I used to be able to reorder posts in threads but I no longer have that ability (remember, I'm just a regular guy now :) ). That means to scoop up all of those posts and put them into one thread would leave a lot of them in a very bizarre order.

I don't mean to derail this thread for a second but I would actually love a similar set of George's solo output up to Somewhere in England. Book, Multichannel mixes, the lot. That would be fab indeed.

Back to the Lennons...

I don't mean to derail this thread for a second but I would actually love a similar set of George's solo output up to Somewhere in England. Book, Multichannel mixes, the lot. That would be fab indeed.

Back to the Lennons...
I’ve long craved an All Things Must Pass remix and surround release. It seems less likely considering how Spector produced it but my eyes lit up when reading this little passage from an interview posted in one of these Lennon threads:

Paul Hicks: Yeah, [laughs] then I decided to go freelance and continued from there. I’ve done McCartney stuff, and now I’m mostly doing Lennon and Harrison projects.”

That and/or Early Takes, Vol. 2 would make my year. I mean, it’s been a bad year so maybe the bar is low, but hey...

Back