New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mean to derail this thread for a second but I would actually love a similar set of George's solo output up to Somewhere in England. Book, Multichannel mixes, the lot. That would be fab indeed.

Back to the Lennons...
I agree. There may not be a lot that can be done with All Things Must Pass due to the "Spectorization" and the built-in reverb, but everything after that could make for great surround. And except for ATMP, I doubt the individual releases will ever see a deluxe treatment on their own. Maybe Olivia and Dhani are taking notes. George was like 3 years younger than John, right? So 2023 ????

I agree. There may not be a lot that can be done with All Things Must Pass due to the "Spectorization" and the built-in reverb, but everything after that could make for great surround. And except for ATMP, I doubt the individual releases will ever see a deluxe treatment on their own. Maybe Olivia and Dhani are taking notes. George was like 3 years younger than John, right? So 2023 ????
There is a 50th Anniversary of ATMP.....due out soon! :QQlove :51QQ:love:

Simon Hilton, the production manager of this series has confirmed that they’ve done the Plastic Ono Band album already and the plan is to work through other long-players.
I wonder: will the mixes made for this compilation simply be reused on all their respective album releases? Or will these remain unique to Gimme Some Truth?

To rip Atmos for Kodi:

1. Open the disc with MakeMKV and select the chapters title and 7.1 HD-Audio - save to computer.

2. Open MMH and select „Extract Audio from MKV“
Before you open the MKV file, make sure to choose Output = M4A from the top menu.

3. Open the MKV file and the conversion starts automatic and gives you seperated chapter M4A files.

4. You can tag with MMH, I use MP3Tag.

These can be played in Atmos with Kodi 19 - Alpha!
I use the latest Matrix Alpha Version 1!

1. Use MKV to rip the video stream. Within MKV you can select the audio stream you want to use. You can also keep all the audio streams, which is what I initially did at the start, but then stopped doing that because on playback the system would always choose the default audio stream, which is usually stereo. So as the tracks change, each time one starts, it defaults to stereo and then the audio stream you really want needs to be chosen again. By removing all the audio streams but one, it becomes the default.

There are tools out there that will let you [re-]set the default audio track if you like. MKVToolNix is one I've fooled around with successfully.

Not that I mean to suggest that there's anything wrong with just keeping the tracks you want.

I'm passing right now unless someone can convince me otherwise?
:cry: If you like the music...don't hesitate, this is the best quality treatment this music has EVER gotten.

Don't let all this talk about the levels and Dolby vs. DTS, etc. If you aren't a fan or enjoy Lennon's stuff, then maybe not worth the purchase. But if you like Lennon's stuff, ENJOY the music.

:cry: If you like the music...don't hesitate, this is the best quality treatment this music has EVER gotten.

Don't let all this talk about the levels and Dolby vs. DTS, etc. If you aren't a fan or enjoy Lennon's stuff, then maybe not worth the purchase. But if you like Lennon's stuff, ENJOY the music.

ABSOLUTELY! All of the level talk is just to point you to the DD over the DTS in 5.1. It's worth it if you like JL and some of these tracks will knock your socks off, especially the Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey tracks.

For the price you're getting 36 tunes in 5.1. What's not to like?

I'm passing right now unless someone can convince me otherwise?

go.jpg

There is a 50th Anniversary of ATMP.....due out soon! :QQlove :51QQ:love:
The year’s not over yet (and man I hope I’m wrong); but the 50th for “Let It Be” is now, and I’m not hearing much buzz about that one yet.
Guess it’s not as loved, given the production; but, hey I’m still figuring out how to best listen to this one -yay!

The year’s not over yet (and man I hope I’m wrong); but the 50th for “Let It Be” is now, and I’m not hearing much buzz about that one yet.
Guess it’s not as loved, given the production; but, hey I’m still figuring out how to best listen to this one -yay!
It won't come out until the movie by Peter Jackson is released

Check this out

I took a second listen in Atmos last night. Let me preface I love Lennon’s solo stuff, and I think the set is fantastic. Contrary to what some have said I think the surround mix is very well done and enveloping. Jealous Guy really stood out to me last night. Organs at the beginning really come out much more in the mix and then acoustic guitar I haven’t overly noticed in last mixes up front, and then it all comes together. Super cool.

I listened to the Dolby Atmos track on Monday night. I will say that I’m not a big fan of Lennon’s solo work but, over the years, have enjoyed several of the hits. I did have the Imagine, Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey vinyl LP’s back in the day. I did not purchase the Imagine Deluxe set from last year. I was going to, but talked myself out of it. I asked myself how many times I would listen to it over the course of ownership such as Guns n’ Roses AFD for which is still sitting unplayed in a sealed box, along with other sets I have yet to open. With Gimme Some Truth, it pulls all the hits that I’m familiar with along with some album tracks I’ve heard, and never heard. So, I felt it was a good purchase that I would listen to several times. After only one listen, I feel they did a really good job Mixing the tracks. It sounds really clear. I could swear JL is standing in front of me singing on many of the tracks. I love the included book and will take more time to read it instead of looking at the great photos. This is all the Lennon solo I need.

Back