New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I knew someone like Bob Clearmountain or Eliot Scheiner was going to be doing the mixes than I would happily pre-order right now. But Hicks' Imagine mix was pretty uninspired. He was also involved in the equally conservative mix of Ziggy Stardust.

Hicks is also credited for the excellent 5.1 mixes on The McCartney Years DVD set, so we know he's capable of doing an adventurous surround mix.

Hicks is also credited for the excellent 5.1 mixes on The McCartney Years DVD set, so we know he's capable of doing an adventurous surround mix.
The more I hear of these types of varying mixes by the same engineer, the more it's obvious that the clients play a large roll in the final mix in most cases.

The more I hear of these types of varying mixes by the same engineer, the more it's obvious that the clients play a large roll in the final mix in most cases.

In Lennon's case, though, the client seems to be of two minds. As everyone agrees, the "standard" mixes done by Hicks had great sonics but unadventurous surround. Meanwhile, the Raw Studio and "Elements" mixes were outstanding.

In Lennon's case, though, the client seems to be of two minds. As everyone agrees, the "standard" mixes done by Hicks had great sonics but unadventurous surround. Meanwhile, the Raw Studio and "Elements" mixes were outstanding.

Yeah, I love the sound quality on the "standard" Imagine 5.1, but the mixes are blah. I juiced the surrounds in Audacity quite generously to get something close to what I like:

Imagine +7dB
Crippled Inside +6dB
Jealous Guy +5dB
It's So Hard +5dB
I Don't Want To Be A Soldier +3dB
Gimme Some Truth +3dB
Oh My Love +4dB
How Do You Sleep +3dB
How +3dB
Oh Yoko +3dB

The inconsistency of the amount I had to juice the surrounds on the various the tracks is annoying.

I might go for this set anyway if it gets high marks for sound quality. The mixes on Lennon Legend are nice but the sonics isn't up to the standard of the HIcks set.

[
Just ordered this from Music Vaultz. The coupon code VAULTZVIP just worked for me. US price of $45 delivered... Sweet! Thanks to Peterzach for the code!

That's great that the code worked for you. I tried it yesterday and it said it was invalid, hence my post in the thread. It must have been user error on my part. :) I'll have to try the code again!

JB HiFi price is absolutely rediculous too

Yes I just looked too. The 2CD price is ridiculous enough at over $50, but apparently the Bluray is worth more an extra $100 on its own? Insane. I was looking forward to this but now I’m disgusted. It’s $40 more than I paid for Abbey Road box for gods sake and that is 3CD’s.

Yes I just looked too. The 2CD price is ridiculous enough at over $50, but apparently the Bluray is worth more an extra $100 on its own? Insane. I was looking forward to this but now I’m disgusted. It’s $40 more than I paid for Abbey Road box for gods sake and that is 3CD’s.
For anyone in Australia:
jpc.de will do it for €54.67 total (so about AUS$88, they knock off the VAT and don't charge the 10% import fee).
ImportCDs will charge US$70.18 total and they do charge the 10% fee (so about AUS$95).

I've ordered from both over the years, never had any problems to rural NSW.

I'm not going to bother. $150 is more important for food and living expenses for me these days, as much as i'd love to buy this the days of buying expensive box sets are over for me. Divorce can do this to a man.:(
As a follow up to my previous post, MusicVaultz to Oz, with the discount code mentioned before, would be CDN$71.58, so about AUS$75, if that helps keep your marriage intact.;)

Back