New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked the Imagine mixes, as the fidelity was fantastic even if the surround mixes were pretty straightforward (or backward). I didn't think the songs warranted too much adventure in any case. But because there are the Doobies quads, followed by the Tears For Fears release, and just now ordered a mono SACD of Frank Sinatra's circa 1950 Columbia album re-release, am significantly over budget for the next couple of months. But I will keep an eye out for a good sale on this one. If that doesn't happen, that's fine. It would be great to have #9 Dream in surround (at least I think that is the song's title).

Last edited:
This morning, I received John Lennon's Gimme Some Truth. The Ultimate Mixes (Deluxe Box Set) from the Moose.

I put the BD into my Oppo 203 and set it to Atmos. I initially listened to some of my favorite tracks on my 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos enabled (up firing speakers) system.

The Atmos tracks sounded good, slightly more immersive than the 24/96 DTS-HD MA 5.1 mix.

However, besides the 5.1 floor level speakers, only the rear Atmos enabled speakers had content. The front Atmos enabled speakers had no content. I entirely played five tracks and sampled ~15 tracks and this was consistent. No content from the front Atmos enabled speakers, only the rear Atmos speakers.

I thought something was wrong with my system, so I got out the 2016 Dolby Atmos demo disc and used the 5.1.4 test tones to check my system. No issues.

Need to find more time to sit down and give this a thorough listen. Just thought I'd give my initial impressions.

I'm a big Lennon fan so I'm glad I added this to my library.

20201008_093404.jpg

20201008_093539.jpg

Am I a fucking idiot? How do I change the audio? I have a list of all the songs but I can't arrow around with my remote to choose one, or arrow over to the audio settings and choose surround. All I get is auto playing PCM stereo, which I can use the track skip buttons, but surely the navigation is better than that...

Back