New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much for the supposed advantage in dynamic range of the lossless mix...
I do want to add ar, I’ve only listened to a little of this on my computer so far. I’m interested in checking both out on my main system through the Oppo (actual disc), and see what difference can be heard.
Specifically, by how much I can crank up the volume of each, and noting any fatigue.

Today, I tried all Atmos speaker combinations with my Denon 6200 playing the Atmos track "Instant Karma" from the new John Lennon Gimme Some Truth BD.

I found the issues documented in the table below.

To my best knowledge, I've never had any issues playing Atmos music or videos, other than the Atmos content on the John Lennon Gimme Some Truth BD

Before I began testing, I performed a HARD RESET (network + microprocessor reset) on my Denon 6200 The HARD RESET is supposed to initialize the 6200 back to its OOTB initial state other than the latest firmware is retained. I did a minimal setup on the 6200; just enough to play content from my Oppo 203 to my 5.1.4 speaker setup.

I then played "Instant Karma" in repeat mode on my Oppo 203.

Below are the results. The first 11 entries in the table are for a four speaker Atmos setup. The remaining entries are for a two speaker Atmos setup.

*** EDIT---->>> If a row is marked with a YES, then there was an issue playing the Atmos content properly (based on my testing). ***

For my FD+SD (upfiring) setup, I continue to have an issue with only the SD speakers playing Atmos content; no content from the FD speakers.

Atmos Speaker SettingResultsIs There An Issue?
FD+SDSDYes
TF+TRTF+TRNo
TF+RHTF+RHNo
TM+RHTMYes
FH+TMTMYes
FH+TRFH+TRNo
FH+RHFH+RHNo
FH+SDSDYes
TF+SDSDYes
FD+TRFDYes
FD+RHFDYes
FDFDNo
SDSDNo
FHFHNo
TFTFNo
TMTMNo
TRTRNo
RHRHNo
Ok. I made a breakthrough of sorts.

In my prior posts, I explained that with my 5.1.4 setup with my Denon 6200 and FD+SD upfiring speakers, only the SD speakers played Atmos content. The FD speakers were silent.

I decided to try another experiment. I changed the 6200 AMP ASSIGN to 7.1.4 even though I don't have SB speakers, This allowed me to change the upfiring speaker setup to FD+BD. I finally got Atmos content from all four upfiring speakers playing the "Gimme Some Truth" BD! I suppose something about the way the Atmos metadata is "printed" on the BD doesn't allow for FD+SD.

I decided to leave my setup in a faux 7.1.4 setup but I needed to workaround the lack of SB speakers. So I purchased this mixer from amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX51S-...1&refRID=QNYRYT1CGVRZNXMFGT2F#customerReviews

I connected the inputs of the Rolls Mixer to the SL, SBL and SR, SBR pre-outs from the 6200 and ran the mixer outputs to my Outlaw 7125 amp which powers my SL+SR speakers. So the side surrounds speakers are now providing side surround sound as well as rear surround sound.

Did the usual stuff: checked speaker outputs, ran Audyssey, set the crossovers, etc.

Seems to be working well.

Now I get Atmos content from the FD+BD upfiring speakers when playing John Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth" BD. Definitely improved the listening experience.

Last edited:
So I've spent a lot of time lowering/adjusting the levels of the front channels on the DTS 5.1 mix to get what sounds like a balanced mix... what a waste of time! As others have already said and I have finally discovered, the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix is not only perfectly balanced between the fronts and rears, but the front channels aren't squashed with a bunch of limiting (like on the DTS mix)! For those who listen to this with a 5.1 system, the Dolby Digital mix is the way to go... it really sounds great :)

So I've spent a lot of time lowering/adjusting the levels of the front channels on the DTS 5.1 mix to get what sounds like a balanced mix... what a waste of time! As others have already said and I have finally discovered, the Dolby Digital 5.1 mix is not only perfectly balanced between the fronts and rears, but the front channels aren't squashed with a bunch of limiting (like on the DTS mix)! For those who listen to this with a 5.1 system, the Dolby Digital mix is the way to go... it really sounds great :)
Yeah, even with the rms levels matched exactly between the dts and the dd, the dts version is distorted to hell and the whole coherence of the mix is neutered. There was some processing - adding intentional saturation or something - in addition to the level boosts and brick wall limiting.

Such a wholly botched job and obviously complete unawareness of screwing up so grossly like this is really stunning! And then there's the raw mix - sounding full professional and fully discrete and fully kick ass right there leaving no doubt it was accidentally missed with the sonic destruction by this luddite! Someone's boss is losing their job over this. I've never seen this big of a screwup and then with the evidence laid out so clearly. And for this big name of a release and going for the new 3D surround format and everything! They clearly didn't run the final authoring by even one single qualified person to verify for no mistakes. (Which would have been immediately caught in the first 3 seconds!)

This is the BS response I received yesterday:

“Thank you for your message.

Your order is currently in our warehouse being picked ready for dispatch.

Please note given the global outbreak of Coronavirus there are delays in orders being shipped due to high volumes.

As soon as the item leaves our warehouse you will receive a shipment confirmation email from us.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment caused by this delay.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
Andrea
Digital Stores Customer Services“

This is my first and last purchase from MusicVaultz.
Did anybody get any further information on when MusicVaultz will ship? They had such a good price on this one - but getting concerned about it.

• Wow
Reactions: PK

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I've been saying this since I first got the discs and someone posted that the Dolby 5.1 sounded better than the DTS 5.1. For those that missed the proof, I posted jpgs of ever song's wav files in both 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS. You can see for yourself the differences, and what the over powering of the loudness tools that labels use on music can do.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ATMOS

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-some-truth-5-1-audio-levels-dts-vs-dd.29254/

Did anybody get any further information on when MusicVaultz will ship? They had such a good price on this one - but getting concerned about it.
Here's what Music Vaultz customer service said on October 20th:
"Unfortunately, there has been a delay in receiving stock from the supplier, but we should be receiving stock in the next 3-14 days."

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I've been saying this since I first got the discs and someone posted that the Dolby 5.1 sounded better than the DTS 5.1. For those that missed the proof, I posted jpgs of ever song's wav files in both 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS. You can see for yourself the differences, and what the over powering of the loudness tools that labels use on music can do.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ATMOS

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-some-truth-5-1-audio-levels-dts-vs-dd.29254/
The box set has arrived and I've only listened to a few songs, comparing DTS-MA 5.1 and DolbyTrueHD 7.1 (played back in 5.1). I have to be honest, I think the dedicated 5.1 mix is well balanced, even though it's conservatively mixed. The 7.1 core from the Atmos mix sounds unbalanced, it's too heavy on the rear channels on a 5-speaker system. I feel like drums and vocals are floating in the middle of the room, rather than coming from the front/centre speakers. So for me (to be taken with a grain of salt) I think the dedicated 5.1 mix is well done, and when there are discrete elements in the rear channels, they appear to be at the correct volume. It sounds good. I suggest guys with a 5-speaker system not to play the 7.1 dolbytruehd core. Go with the dedicated 5.1 mix. Limiting can be seen visually, but I'm not bothered by that while listening. I'm more concerned about the bass, which is tight but a bit overdone. just preliminary thoughts after a first listen :)

And still nothing from MusicVaultz this could be a lost cause
I canceled my order with them online and received the boxed set from Amazon before MusicVaultz had even acknowledged the cancelation. The savings definitely wasn't worth the frustration.

BTW, I'm enjoying the DTS 96/24 5.1 version. I don't think it's a great mix and the surrounds for the most part are just room ambience sounds spreading out the sound stage - BUT there are some great tracks here that I'm glad to have and to play multiple times. I think once you get it, it will worth the wait.

So I had pre-ordered the box set from MusicVaultz in August and just received it today. However I got it for free so worth the wait, I suppose.

After multiple emails with customer service and different reasons why the item hadn’t shipped, I submitted a claim through PayPal for item not received (hoping it would get MusicVaultz’s attention). After a few days, PayPal refunded my purchase (presumably because MusicVaultz didn’t respond to PayPal). Ironically, I received a shipping confirmation email later in the day after PayPal resolved my claim.

What pissed me off the most about MusicVaultz was its claim that they were waiting for more stock. No other retailers were showing out of stock, plus MUSICVAULTZ IS A UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP COMPANY!!!!

I feel like justice was served!

So I had pre-ordered the box set from MusicVaultz in August and just received it today. However I got it for free so worth the wait, I suppose.

After multiple emails with customer service and different reasons why the item hadn’t shipped, I submitted a claim through PayPal for item not received (hoping it would get MusicVaultz’s attention). After a few days, PayPal refunded my purchase (presumably because MusicVaultz didn’t respond to PayPal). Ironically, I received a shipping confirmation email later in the day after PayPal resolved my claim.

What pissed me off the most about MusicVaultz was its claim that they were waiting for more stock. No other retailers were showing out of stock, plus MUSICVAULTZ IS A UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP COMPANY!!!!

I feel like justice was served!
Count yourself lucky, I'm still waiting, maybe I should talk to Paypal too, though apparently I haven't been charged yet!

I am still waiting too but good news yours shipped! Did they send you a shipping notice, or did it just show up? Also curious if you know your order date - I ordered on August 29.

Back