New John Luther Adams "Become Trilogy" set with 1 new piece and 2 new Atmos mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of John Luther Adams: Alex Ross has a new piece for The New Yorker on the JACK Quartet and Spektral Quartet, both of whom have been finding ways to perform during the pandemic--and both of whom have new records out. (Spektral: Experiments in Living. JACK: Lines Made By Walking--new string quartets by JLA. I gotta think the title piece is inspired by Richard Long.)

Spektral used to record for Sono Luminus--I'm not sure why they were dropped--but their new label, New Focus, doesn't seem to be into surround.

JACK has also recorded for Sono Luminus, among other labels (mainly but not exclusively in stereo), but their last record on Cold Blue, Everything That Rises (also by JLA), was available--from Acoustic Sounds only, unfortunately--in a fantastically immersive 5.1 mix by Nathaniel Reichman, who also did the Atmos mixes of the Become trilogy for Cantaloupe.

Cold Blue's label head told me that Reichman was preparing an Atmos mix for Lines Made By Walking, too, but so far I've only found the 5.1 version--at Acoustic Sounds (pricey) and e-Onkyo (only slightly less pricey).

I'll pass on any news I hear...

Last edited:
Reactions: mkt

Nice find.

Strangely--sadly?--no mention of surround mixes. But when I was inquiring about the previous JACK/JLA record, Everything That Rises, the label forwarded me a photo from Reichman emphasizing the mic placement, along with his assurances that, as a friend and co-conspirator of 2L's Morten Lindberg, he was taking care to get the most "immersive" sound possible out of the room and the ensemble.

Back