New Member Introduction

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

New here so I will keep it short and simple. My name is Renzo, ex-telco guy from Peru but living in Australia (Melbourne, Victoria) for the past 15 years. I am finally getting some time to put aside for my hobbie, to bring back to life that beautiful vintage old audio gear we all love to do what they are supposed to do, bring joy to people. I am please to join a community of like minded people and will be more than happy to help where I can.

I used to be a Technics fan (still am really) and after putting together the kit I thought it was the ultimate (ST-7700 Tuner + SU-7700 Amp + RS-615US Tape deck, SL-1200 MkI TT), I rediscovered that "sweet" Sansui sound with a little 331...

So now I just cannot sat and stare at QRX-3000 box (which definitely needs some love) and do nothing, just cannot wait to hear that "sweet" sound coming out from a Quad. Don't have much experience with quads but I found on eBay an ad offering Restoration kits (with step-by-step instructions), my question is if anyone here has tried them and if they are worth the money. How much "further damage" I can cause by using them ? Or should I get it checked by a proper tech (that kind of labour is scarce here and therefore not cheap at all ? )

Internally, this QRX-3000 looks fine (or at least not manipulated before), it turns on, some lamps work, some not, but not getting sound from the tuner nor the Aux. But that all the testing I ve done so far.

Thank you for having me here and for reading this post. Hopefully will hear from you soon.

Cheers, Renzo

Whether you work on it yourself or hire somebody would depend on your level of skill with soldering/desoldering. Some technical knowledge helps as well.

I would recommend looking for parts myself rather than buying someone's kit, as they are bound to be making large profits from each kit, if you purchase the parts yourself you can be assured of getting top quality parts, with a kit you are at the mercy of the seller. You should have the schematic/Service Manual you can get that for free at Hifiengine.com

Sansui QRX-3000 Four Channel Receiver Manual | HiFi Engine

I would recommend the use of a vacuum powered desoldering tool, it really helps in preventing board damage, if you are replacing any components.

I recommend replacing electrolytic capacitors that are in the signal path with film types. Wima makes Polyester film capacitors (WIMA MKS2) that are almost as small as the original electrolytics, look for 50Volt or 63Volt versions.

The Sansui quads often have plug in boards, that makes upgrading/ servicing much easier. You should however clean up the board contacts, (rubbing with a pencil eraser works well) and the socket (contact cleaner or Deoxit.

Most people recommend powering used electronics up slowly via a Variac. I don't dispute that idea at all even though I seldom follow it myself. I find that old seventies electronics very often still functions without restoration! In any case you already powered it on anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the Variac idea. No sound could be caused by dirty switch contacts, or board contacts. You should locate and correct any problems before undertaking any major parts replacement/upgrade.

Assuming that your technical knowledge is limited, other than cleaning contacts and switches, I don't think that there is much that you can do yourself in regards to actual troubleshooting.

Whether you work on it yourself or hire somebody would depend on your level of skill with soldering/desoldering. Some technical knowledge helps as well.

I would recommend looking for parts myself rather than buying someone's kit, as they are bound to be making large profits from each kit, if you purchase the parts yourself you can be assured of getting top quality parts, with a kit you are at the mercy of the seller. You should have the schematic/Service Manual you can get that for free at Hifiengine.com

Sansui QRX-3000 Four Channel Receiver Manual | HiFi Engine

I would recommend the use of a vacuum powered desoldering tool, it really helps in preventing board damage, if you are replacing any components.

I recommend replacing electrolytic capacitors that are in the signal path with film types. Wima makes Polyester film capacitors (WIMA MKS2) that are almost as small as the original electrolytics, look for 50Volt or 63Volt versions.

The Sansui quads often have plug in boards, that makes upgrading/ servicing much easier. You should however clean up the board contacts, (rubbing with a pencil eraser works well) and the socket (contact cleaner or Deoxit.

Most people recommend powering used electronics up slowly via a Variac. I don't dispute that idea at all even though I seldom follow it myself. I find that old seventies electronics very often still functions without restoration! In any case you already powered it on anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the Variac idea. No sound could be caused by dirty switch contacts, or board contacts. You should locate and correct any problems before undertaking any major parts replacement/upgrade.

Assuming that your technical knowledge is limited, other than cleaning contacts and switches, I don't think that there is much that you can do yourself in regards to actual troubleshooting.
Thanks Par4ken, thanks for taking the time ! Apologies for the late reply btw...
Indeed my knowledge in Quads is limited, I do have some troubleshooting and soldering skills but it have been a while that's all. But I agree with you, will rather take it to someone a bit more experienced and with the proper set of tools. Will explore the HiFi Engine manuals first to see what else I can do, if there are no changes I will then resort to the tech guy. Will keep you posted. Cheers, Renzo.

Welcome aboard, ex-telco guy! Do you know where your butt set is? :D
Always hanging heavy !!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, you actually made me think about the good old days, I left my old trusty Harris butt-set back home (Peru) with a mate... Will poke him to see if still have it. Will love to have it back.Cheers, Renzo

There was something beautiful about well-organized, clean 110 blocks. Back in the day, we used them for good old 10BASE-T Ethernet.

66 blocks, on the other hand, can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned.

Back