QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to find technical information about all the early Japanese systems but QM would appear to be the same as EV-4. Some inserts even have reference to EV-4 or Stereo-4! In any case they are all very similar, DY too is so close to EV, the same EV encoder could be set for either. As for compatibility, they are all compatible in my books!

What’s the top potentiometer for?

Good eye. 👁
It's an aux send from a mixer channel, obviously.

As I understand it, used for a 1972 version of a center of the room overhead sound source (50 year old Atmos height effect?).
If interested, start here and continue until eyes glaze over with ancient surround sound lore:
SQ Shadow Vector Soundfield Mapping

Google acroperiphonic, you only get three hits on the entire worldwide web.
One to a post in this forum, the others to midimagic's web site.

Gotta love this place.
How did we get so deep down a rabbit hole on a Welcome New Member thread? 🤣🤣🤣

Ask a question here, you never know where it could end up.
Thanks, everybody. Never a dull moment.
:51QQ

Gotta love this place.
How did we get so deep down a rabbit hole on a Welcome New Member thread? 🤣🤣🤣

Ask a question here, you never know where it could end up.
Thanks, everybody. Never a dull moment.
:51QQ

1645129027379.png
:D

Last edited:
What’s the top potentiometer for?

The diagram is part of a mixer channel strip. It is part of an article on encoding with a mixer on my website.

Here is the Samson PL-2404 4-bus mixer in the diagram (bottom item in rack).

rackpan.jpg

This is one of my mixers I encode with. The three knobs and the button are at the bottom of each strip (visible in lower right in photo).

Each column of knobs is a channel strip. Each channel strip encodes a different musical part into the mix. Each part can be panned to a different encoded position.

The top control in the diagram is an after-fader aux send feeding a delay effect. It is the bottom knob in each column of 6 knobs. In the encoding, this provides a front signal that is not correlated with the back signal to encode an overhead or centered image.

The item in the rack just above the mixer is the RM back encoder connected to the 3/4 bus inserts.

Google acroperiphonic, you only get three hits on the entire worldwide web.
One to a post in this forum, the others to midimagic's web site.

Actually Benjamin Bauer coined it in these articles.

"A Compatible Stereo-Quadraphonic (SQ) Record System"
B.B. Bauer, D.W. Gravereaux, & A.J. Gust,
Journal of the Audio Engineering Society 09/1971 V 19 pp. 638-646

10. "Advances in SQ Encoding and Decoding Technology"
B.B. Bauer, R.G. Allen, G.A. Budelman, & D.W. Gravereaux,
CBS Laboratories, presented 02/1973, reprinted as Appendix 3 of the book:
"Four Channel Stereo From Source to Sound"
G/L Tab Books, 2nd Edition 1974, Appendix 3, pp. 230-247

Last edited:
I returned it and I think I’m getting this!

I’m buying it! I returned the other one! Now I can hook this up play my records and my tv and everything in better surround?

I don't think you fully understand.

There were TWO kinds of quadraphonic records in the 1970s:

- Matrix (mostly two kinds: RM and SQ) needs the SM or other decoders. Dolby Surround is an RM matrix.

- Discrete CD-4 requires the demodulator, a special pickup cartridge, and low capacity cables from the turntable to the demodulator.

Different record companies used different systems:

- ABC, Command, Dunhill, MCA, Ovation, and Vox were among the labels using RM.

- Columbia, Angel, EMI, Vanguard, Apple, Electrola, Supraphon, and Capitol used SQ.

- Atlantic, Warner Brothers, Elektra, RCA, Polydor, and Deutsche Grammophon used CD-4.

Last edited:
As Sonik says no it won't, but if you want to use an SM3 with vinyl you'll need a phono pre-amp
What? Are you saying I could plug the SM into my phono preamp and make it work that way? I've never heard anyone say that and I've been asking forever how I can make it work.....this could be my avenue, right??

What? Are you saying I could plug the SM into my phono preamp and make it work that way? I've never heard anyone say that and I've been asking forever how I can make it work.....this could be my avenue, right??
No, he's saying just the opposite. You need an RIAA phono preamp to plug into the SM 2ch input.

The diagram is part of a mixer channel strip. It is part of an article on encoding with a mixer on my website.

Here is the Samson PL-2404 4-bus mixer in the diagram (bottom item in rack).

View attachment 76091

This is one of my mixers I encode with. The three knobs and the button are at the bottom of each strip (visible in lower right in photo).

Each column of knobs is a channel strip. Each channel strip encodes a different musical part into the mix. Each part can be panned to a different encoded position.

The top control in the diagram is an after-fader aux send feeding a delay effect. It is the bottom knob in each column of 6 knobs. In the encoding, this provides a front signal that is not correlated with the back signal to encode an overhead or centered image.

The item in the rack just above the mixer is the RM back encoder connected to the 3/4 bus inserts.

Actually Benjamin Bauer coined it in these articles.

"A Compatible Stereo-Quadraphonic (SQ) Record System"
B.B. Bauer, D.W. Gravereaux, & A.J. Gust,
Journal of the Audio Engineering Society 09/1971 V 19 pp. 638-646

10. "Advances in SQ Encoding and Decoding Technology"
B.B. Bauer, R.G. Allen, G.A. Budelman, & D.W. Gravereaux,
CBS Laboratories, presented 02/1973, reprinted as Appendix 3 of the book:
"Four Channel Stereo From Source to Sound"
G/L Tab Books, 2nd Edition 1974, Appendix 3, pp. 230-247
Thank you. You have a great website. I appreciate the effort to create and maintain it.

Good pic. The challenge with Gene's AVR is it has some 2 ch analog inputs but zero analog MCH inputs. Just HDMI.
Still hoping Dave R&Ds some DisplayPort outs, then you might could go to HDMI via an inexpensive adapter also. But they’ve never said if there’s lesser costs associated to it like compared to HDMI; in order to make it financially feasible.
They could really increase their market if they could get that done IMO.

Last edited:
Still hoping Dave R&Ds some DisplayPort outs, then you might could go to HDMI via an inexpensive adapter also. But they’ve never said if there’s lesser costs associated to it like compared to HDMI; in order to make it financially feasible.
They could really increase their market if they could get that done IMO.

Its a fairly simple adaptor that is needed to translate DisplayPort to HDMI, and it is financially a better option
  • As of 2008, HDMI Licensing, LLC charged an annual fee of US$10,000 to each high-volume manufacturer and a per-unit royalty rate of US$0.04 to US$0.15.[71][needs update] DisplayPort is royalty-free, but implementers thereof are not prevented from charging (royalty or otherwise) for that implementation.[72]

I just thought of something.

You can hook up an SQ decoder as an encoder (mentioned on my website and in one of these threads).

Put it in the 3/4 inserts in my mixer and you have an interior 4-corners SQ encoder. Except it does not encode sides or diagonal splits without 2 channel strips per source.

Back