New Metallica - 72 Seasons album (film) in Atmos?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am listening to the new album on Apple Music in plain old stereo right now and have to say that I am finding this album pretty boring so far. I say this as a long time Metallica fan from the early days.

Surprised no one mentioned [or did I miss it] that Metallica were the musical guests [and did some interviews/skits] Monday through Thursday night on the Jimmy Kimmel Show.

Just gave it a listen on my computer, not in Atmos. It's pretty much stock Metallica these days. First half is stronger than the second half. Definitely some good tunes on there, but I found that by the end of it, I was more than ready to move on.

I commend the guys for still bringing it and still putting out some banger tunes. The last 3 albums have been a marked improvement over the many that came before, but there's something missing. Some of it is that I'm just older and thrash metal doesn't resonate as much as it used to. Part of it is the production. It's immaculate, of course, and Lars' (snare) drums are too loud as usual, but it just doesn't feel like Metallica to me. If they took the best songs off the last three albums and put them on a single album, AND kicked Lars out of the mixing room, they'd have an all-time great thrash album. Problem is the last three albums are pretty much indistinguishable from each other.

I think Testament has done better in their later years incarnation. Their songs often aren't as good, but man they still feel like Testament to me.

Just gave it a listen on my computer, not in Atmos. It's pretty much stock Metallica these days. First half is stronger than the second half. Definitely some good tunes on there, but I found that by the end of it, I was more than ready to move on.

I commend the guys for still bringing it and still putting out some banger tunes. The last 3 albums have been a marked improvement over the many that came before, but there's something missing. Some of it is that I'm just older and thrash metal doesn't resonate as much as it used to. Part of it is the production. It's immaculate, of course, and Lars' (snare) drums are too loud as usual, but it just doesn't feel like Metallica to me. If they took the best songs off the last three albums and put them on a single album, AND kicked Lars out of the mixing room, they'd have an all-time great thrash album. Problem is the last three albums are pretty much indistinguishable from each other.

I think Testament has done better in their later years incarnation. Their songs often aren't as good, but man they still feel like Testament to me.
I agree with a lot of what you said. To me, most of there stuff over the last decade or two has just been more of the same, nothing memorable. I did enjoy their S&M 2 concert video though. FWIW , I am listening to Tool's Fear Innoculum and it is far more interesting and better recorded.

PXL_20230414_201050230~2.jpg

Nice setup Baggy! Your giant spider, frog and parrot look a bit hungry though
 😀

I’m finding this new Metallica mix quite subdued
 Really front centric. At least there’s the 5.1 ‘Black album’ that sounds good when cranked

Very front centric. Just occasional echoes, and a guitar overdub, now and then.

People bitch and moan about Peace Sells, but at least Dave's and Chris's guitars are hard panned to the surrounds. Like, the heart of the music...

Is the Atmos mix available if purchasing the album digitally via HDTracks for example or is it locked to AppleMusic or iTunes exclusively?

You can only stream it. HD Tracks has never offered anything other than high resolution two channel sadly.

Ah that's unfortunate it's streaming only. HDTracks did start adding multi-channel recordings a while back however so far it's only classical I believe. They haven't started adding any known multi-channel rock recordings.

Back