New Neal Morse DVD for the first time in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugene

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I received the info that for the first time Neal Morse will release a live album with a surround sound (apparently mixed by guitarist Eric Guillette). Before buying this I would like to know what kind of mix we're going to have on this.

"Last, but not least, for the first time ever the versions including Blu Ray discs will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS-HD Master 5.1 as additional audio options. "

While sources like Neal's Radiant Records, Amazon or even the media packaging are no help whatsoever, there have been surround mixes of live material on DVD and BD including Live Momentum.
It would be nice to have an interesting mix rather than the usual atmosphere-plus-reverb-in-the-back (which is often no better than turning on surround processing in the receiver).

That quote is from the release notice for Morsefest 2017: Testimony of a Dream and obviously the "DTS-HD Master 5.1"[sic] will only be on the BD while - yet again - the DVD will get lossy Dolby Digital rather than LPCM (or a nice DVD-A/V).

Oh yes Live Momentum was in surround, just to tell you how not memorable was that mix. Like you said if we get another reverb mix, I won't get this.

Did anyone get this and if yes how is the 5.1?

I have read on Amazon that it was not fantastic, so a basic concert surround... : here's the review

Two of the better Neal Morse albums - as well as 2 of the longest - showcased in the 207 edition of Morsefest on DVD. Prior to that I was watching Snow Live and it seems that the video encoding is better on this release - on top of [finally] a 5.1 audio option [even if the 5.1 isn't fantastic].
Of course, like any Morsefest release, the CDs of the shows are also included. [A documentary is exclusive to the Blu-ray release as these 2 shows combine over 5 hours of music.]
The only other complaint [as usual] is the lack of a release with the CDs and the Blu-ray discs.

cover_382682102010.jpg

I have read on Amazon that it was not fantastic, so a basic concert surround... : here's the review

Two of the better Neal Morse albums - as well as 2 of the longest - showcased in the 207 edition of Morsefest on DVD. Prior to that I was watching Snow Live and it seems that the video encoding is better on this release - on top of [finally] a 5.1 audio option [even if the 5.1 isn't fantastic].
Of course, like any Morsefest release, the CDs of the shows are also included. [A documentary is exclusive to the Blu-ray release as these 2 shows combine over 5 hours of music.]
The only other complaint [as usual] is the lack of a release with the CDs and the Blu-ray discs.

Well, I did order this and got this a couple of days ago and finally watched as alot to take in 5 hours.
If you would only get this if it was an amazing discreet 5.1 then this a pass, it is not a 5.1,no center and nothing to speak off in the rears.
If you are getting this to get a tour deforce prog feast with 5 hours to watch and listen to then this is your bluray..
Neal went all out with having a horn section, violinists and a choir so this has alot going on and is begging for a real 5.1.
What isn't buried though is the main band and recording quality is very good for a mostly stereo 5.1 so you do you get a front centric recording.
The video editing is well done as does sometimes overlap some of the on screen imaging with the band playing and its well done IMO.
Now the door bell just rang and I got Neals new Album-The Great Adventure and Steve Hackett's latest,WOOHOO.
After doing some yard work that needs doing will check out the new albums.

Last edited:
Back