New Nektar Remember the Future remaster cd still with SQ encoding

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sspsandy

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Nektar released their remastered cd of Remember the Future in June of 2002. Not only is the sound quality excellent, but the SQ encoding is intact and sounds better than ever.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>The Passport releases were done in QS; Larry Fast and Nektar among them. Glad this is out, had the LP back when.... [/quote] Larry Fast/ Synergy?
Rob

I have the Bellaphon German quad lp, and it is marked SQ. The American Passport release is only marked as stereo, but the quad mix sounds identical to the German SQ. The quad discography also lists it as SQ, however anyone know if it is in fact an unmarked QS release?

When the Nektar - RTF cd was first released, it was made from the 4 channel master which was also used for the SQ encoded LP. But the original CD only used the front two channels of the 4 channel master. So anything from the rear channels was missing.
The original CD even has the SQ logo on the front booklet even though it was not SQ encoded.

It looks like a trip to my local CD store is in order to
get the new remastered RTF.

Vinylguy4

Yeah, I'll be picking this one up too. I bought the original CD only to discover the mastering goof. I have the LP, but it's not the best player. It will be nice to get a "proper" SQ CD!

"I have the Bellaphon German quad lp, and it is marked SQ."

I have a recollection of this pressing, but not the encoding.
The US Nektar LPs carried no outer identification of quad content. The ones that did overtly proclaim "produced with the QS quadraphonic system" were:

1) Synergy (Larry Fast) - Realizations for Electronic Rock Orchestra

2) Fireballet - Night On Bald Mountain

Had the latter in my collection until about 2 years ago.

timbre4

I too went crazy to find the original CD release (with the SQ on the front) only to be disappointed as well. I have been looking for the new one you guys are talking about, but I can only find a double German import CD on Belophon with one disk having RTF and the other something else that escapes me for now. Is this what we are looking for? It is called Gold something or other, and it is $30 so I am not anxious to shell out if it is the wrong one. How do I tell which version is the true SQ version?

Thanks, Mike.

So, if you bought the old defective CD with the marking, put the new disc in it's case and you will have a marked package for your new CD.

The Quadfather

The new Nektar RTF remastered CD has a sticker on the front that says "remasterd by Nektar". It also has 2 extra bonus tracks which are the singles versions of Lonely Roads and Let it Grow. If you look on e-Bay under Nektar, you will see the CD listed as RTF with 2 extra tracks. It goes for about $20.00. Or you can order it direct from the Nektar website. Sandy

Thank you Sandy. I have just placed an online order with their website. There is a guy on eBay with one, but he refuses a Canadian bid. All the better though, since the official site was cheaper anyway. I did look around the site to see what, if anything, was said about an SQ quad release and all I could find was a reference to using the original stereo master tape. Do you think it is safe to assume that this is the SQ master tape? I really hope so. I have a mint copy of the original German SQ LP release, but I would like to have a good CD copy. Thanks again for the great advice. Mike.

Mike, the new remastered cd makes no mention of the SQ encoding, just like the American passport release only says stereo, even though it's the identical SQ mix as the German Bellaphon lp. The new cd has better, sharper separation than the lps, and the quad mix sounds like it was enhanced. These guys were one of the first bands to embrace quad, and their stated goal with this release was to present it in all it's former glory, especially since Bellaphon released the wrong mix on the previous cd that was missing all the guitar parts. This is one of the few cds I've heard that outperforms the analogue lp hands down. Happy listening.

Back