New Nosound album "Allow Yourself" (5.1 FLAC files with Burning Shed preorder)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback, Duncan.

As for the binaural, is it converted at the multis/stems level, or can you basically convert any 5.1 disc into a binaural headphone mix?

If the latter, that would be amazing. My current living conditions are not ideal for the avid surround listener!

(sorry to get off topic)

As for the binaural, is it converted at the multis/stems level, or can you basically convert any 5.1 disc into a binaural headphone mix?

If the latter, that would be amazing. My current living conditions are not ideal for the avid surround listener!

(sorry to get off topic)
I believe you feed the 5.1 into the software package and it converts to binaural, so adds in delays etc. like an artificial head recording. Don't know which package. It doesn't work as well as listening to it in true 5.1, but over headphones it stops it sounding as if its in the middle of your head. Can's "Flow Motion" album was recording using the Sennheiser Artificial Head in the middle of 4 speakers (So please somewhere there must be a 4 channel tape!), so its a good one to listen to via headphones to get a feel for the sounds stage. I hear it as a thin oval soundfield, long axis through the ears, thin axis front to back of the head.

I must admit that I’m a little torn on this release.
I want the 5.1 mix, but I don’t want to have to buy a CD for it.
I’m guessing even if a 5.1 file-only version was offered that it wouldn’t be much cheaper anyway, but there’s still so many other things that are probably going to come out that I need to save much money for.
We’ll see. As of right now, this release is a maybe.

I’m guessing even if a 5.1 file-only version was offered that it wouldn’t be much cheaper anyway, but there’s still so many other things that are probably going to come out that I need to save much money for.
LOL! I Know....the way I see it...I just spent US $15 for a 5.1 release....the CD will collect dust.....maybe even go in the dumpster....I'm happy.

Giancarlo, just for my curiosity, how did you make the binaural mix? (Did not listen to it yet, it'll have to wait until tomorrow, busy evening in the end)

This is probably one of the questions I received more often about the binaural, but I'm not keen explaining precisely what was my process...mainly because I disclosed (not here!) in the past some of my techniques and the result was to get jobs or ideas 'stolen' from me instead collaborations so I avoid now :)

What I can say is that is not upmixing but is actual conversion and adaptation of the full 5.1 mixes into binaural for headphones usage...the binaural field is quite vast, loads of models around and is about to find the right workflow and combination of elements to make the conversion working, and actually making the 5.1 ready to be slightly tweaked (if needed) to a more effective port to binaural world.. I've worked as a teenager in film industry and also in software audio engineering, so probably that helped as well I suppose!

In the end, I just hope you guys will like it, 5.1 or binaural or just analog vinyl :)

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated :) A version containing a 5.1 disc would have costed much more, while this way at the lower cost of the cd you get on release immediately the 5.1, that alone could cost as much as you said, and you'll get a cd that has a very nice package and extensive artwork that is part of the artistic product and can be enjoyed also listening to the 5.1. And we'll also offer help for anyone not familiar with 5.1 and just wanting an .iso to burn.

In the end I think this was the quickest, cheapest and most effective way to deliver a format for each taste, so even spending $15 you get a limited edition nicely done and rich/extensive artwork and a hires 5.1 immediately.

I hope that despite all the other nice releases that might come from now to September, you'll like this one enough (through this or the following videos/singles) to buy it and hopefully enjoy it :) As usual for the members of this forum wanting a taster of the 5.1 I can privately send the flac 5.1 of the single that in theory comes only with the purchase...I do believe in it so much that I think it might convert anyone still unsure!

(sorry to get off topic)

You can't convert any 5.1 disc into binaural, not afaik, unless you're happy with things like upmixes and those kind of conversions. Not even from stems, my experience is that to create it you need to work at mix level. Give it a try if you got the album, or send me a private msg if you want a taster :)

After several listens of the 5.1:
- I need to get used to the new vocal style. It's not I don't like it... but it's the most significant change compared to previous albums. I also need to hear them in the context of the whole record.
- I like the electronic flavor of this song, but again I'd like to hear the whole of it
- I like the overall mix, specially the vocals towards the end.
- There's one thing I'd have changed and is the sound of the drums at the very beginning. After having listened to the stereo in MP3 I was hoping for a full force attack of the drums right in my face, but instead they sound a bit thin, compared too against the keyboards on the rears. When the electronic beat kicks in sounds too powerful compared to the previous drums, but with the strength I would have wanted for the drums.

I'll listen to it more times and comment. I'm curious about the binaural, but that will happen later today.

In any case, it leaves me wanting for more. Giancarlo, my comment about the drums is very very subjective, please just take it as it is... just a personal observation from a long time fan

I managed to steal some minutes for a quick check of the binaural mix. Don't call me heretic and please continue supporting the surround... but I've found the mix much more balanced in stereo/binaural than in 5.1.
As I said, too early to have a well formed opinion before listening to the whole album, which I'm really looking forward to.
Thanks Giancarlo!

I managed to steal some minutes for a quick check of the binaural mix. Don't call me heretic and please continue supporting the surround... but I've found the mix much more balanced in stereo/binaural than in 5.1.
As I said, too early to have a well formed opinion before listening to the whole album, which I'm really looking forward to.
Thanks Giancarlo!

Of all the mixes, probably binaural became my favourite...surround is more ‘precise’ and analytical but it looses the ‘front wall power’ you get from sound coming from just two speakers, while binaural somehow is a midway I do really enjoy (but on good over ear, possibly open back headphones).

As for the rest, the opening drums are on choice not full front but mangled and distorted, as many things on this album I choose to go exactly the opposite way I’d expect things to be expected...full power drums opening for me is a rock old cliche’, so on purpose I mangle them and interrupt them...my intention was on purpose to make people believe that is happening and instead going then elsewhere completely.

It appears to be working as I received more than one comment about it..goood (in Star Wars old master sadistic grin :D)

Hopefully with this album I’ll manage to get out of the prog/rock pond and into what this project is since some time now, something more alternative and contemporary 😎

Of all the mixes, probably binaural became my favourite...surround is more ‘precise’ and analytical but it looses the ‘front wall power’ you get from sound coming from just two speakers, while binaural somehow is a midway I do really enjoy (but on good over ear, possibly open back headphones).

As for the rest, the opening drums are on choice not full front but mangled and distorted, as many things on this album I choose to go exactly the opposite way I’d expect things to be expected...full power drums opening for me is a rock old cliche’, so on purpose I mangle them and interrupt them...my intention was on purpose to make people believe that is happening and instead going then elsewhere completely.

It appears to be working as I received more than one comment about it..goood (in Star Wars oldk master sadistic grin :D)
Also in old fashioned Star Wars manner: "It's a trap!"

Well like said Snood ordered and already have the previous release Scintilla.........was looking into the older ones with 5.1 - could only find Lightdark on burning shed - but like your tunes enough to buy the new stuff and search for older. Thank Yoooooooou :QQlove

Well like said Snood ordered and already have the previous release Scintilla.........was looking into the older ones with 5.1 - could only find Lightdark on burning shed - but like your tunes enough to buy the new stuff and search for older. Thank Yoooooooou :QQlove

Thanks a lot! Yes Lightdark is the only one still available with seond disc..all the other releases two disc were limited editions, they are now all out of press, new one though having the 5.1 downloadable will guarantee to have it without going out of oress, and without raising the price or encodings/compressions/complications due to the limitations of discs and the multiple standards and players around...flac 5.1 is the future, is universal, sustainable and more green, quicker, lossless, I’m very happy of the choice and we’ll happily help anyone having trouble with it 😎

Maybe in the future we’ll release all back catalog surround like that...for now let’s concentrate on new album, we need help with that!

Giancarlo- I love the direction you’re going, I think it’s a breath of fresh air!! I can’t wait to hear all tracks in 5.1!! Isn’t it great to be able to make music the way your heart tells you??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is, tells for your kind words and the support from everyone here, I hope one day we'll be much bigger than now and still be able to come here and share it all with you guys!

I was wondering, what are the feelings here about this first single we released from new album? In case anyone missed it, I paste it below (and I also remind everyone that is included in binaural & flac 5.1 for all pre-orders on Burning Shed and also to everyone who asks nicely in PM here :) )

So let me know what you think..as I expected, there are mixed reactions, enthusiastic (in particular from new fans and critic) and disappointed (old fans wanting it to stay the same or liking prog instead of more modern contaminations)..let's see what's the general feeling here :)

I was wondering, what are the feelings here about this first single we released from new album? In case anyone missed it, I paste it below (and I also remind everyone that is included in binaural & flac 5.1 for all pre-orders on Burning Shed and also to everyone who asks nicely in PM here :) )

So let me know what you think..as I expected, there are mixed reactions, enthusiastic (in particular from new fans and critic) and disappointed (old fans wanting it to stay the same or liking prog instead of more modern contaminations)..let's see what's the general feeling here :)

Can't wait to hear more, and I'm really liking the new sound (Newsound?)!

Back