New on Telarc Multichannel/Stereo SACD: The Sound of Glory

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Just released today by Telarc on Multichannel/Stereo SACD:

>>Artist: Mormon Tabernacle Choir/Craig Jessop
Recording: The Sound of Glory
Release Date: 3/5/02
Release# SACD-60579
Super Audio CD Price: $24.95
DSD 2 Channel 6 Channel
www.telarc.com/sacd/title...0LRU6E8320

Now available in discrete multi-channel surround SACD as well as the CD recording!

In 1959, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir won a Grammy Award for its album titled Battle Hymn of the Republic, recorded with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. More than forty years later, that well-loved arrangement for chorus and orchestra is given a dramatic new performance on Telarc’s The Sound of Glory (CD-80579), with DSD (Direct Stream Digital) recording technology that brings the true sound of the 350-plus-voice ensemble with orchestra to the listener as never before, and virtually recreates the monumental Mormon Tabernacle experience.

The recording also includes a collection of inspirational hymn tunes, representative of the music heard around the world on the weekly radio program Music and the Spoken Word. Begun in the 1920s, this popular program usually includes familiar hymns and short sacred choruses from many sources, often in arrangements composed especially for the grand forces of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Most of the impressive arrangements on this recording were contributed by the associate directors of the Choir, Mack Willberg and Barlow Bradford.

Opening the disc is a powerhouse version of the popular German hymn tune, "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty," arranged by Willberg for chorus, organ and orchestra. Another well-known German hymn, "All Creatures of Our God and King," is also included here in an arrangement by Bradford. Traditional Irish and English hymn tunes include the lyrical "Take Time to Be Holy," arranged by organist John Longhurst; and Willberg’s arrangements of "The King of Love My Shepherd Is," and "All Things Bright and Beautiful."

Three popular hymn tunes of prayer and supplication are also featured in this collection: "Sweet Hour of Prayer," "Abide with Me," and an expressive performance by tenor soloist Christopher @#%$ of "I Need Thee Every Hour."

Other familiar and favorite hymns included on this recording are "Lead, Kindly Light;" "Arise, O God, and Shine;" "The Spirit of God Is Like a Fire Burning;" the Shaker hymn "Simple Gifts;" "Sing Praise to Him;" the American folk hymn "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing;" and a beautiful setting of "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling."

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has been featured on two previous Telarc recordings under its new music director Craig Jessop, who succeeded long-time conductor Jerold Ottley in 1999. The first was a recording of Brahm’s A German Requiem (CD-80501) in a new English adaptation by Robert Shaw. In 2000, Telarc released a collection of Christmas hymns and songs, A Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas (CD-80552), which also featured the newly formed, all-volunteer Orchestra at Temple Square.

Mormon Tabernacle Choir
Orchestra at Temple Square
Craig Jessop - conductor

1. Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
2. Lead, Kindly Light
3. Arise, O God, and Shine
4. All Things Bright and Beautiful
5. Sweet Hour of Prayer
6. The Lord Is My Shepherd
7. The King of Love My Shepherd Is
8. All Creatures of Our God and King
9. Take Time to Be Holy