New Opensource tool "Spleeter" for extracting stems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CenterCutGui can be downloaded from here: http://www.moitah.net/download/latest/Center_Cut_GUI.zip It's very easy to use, either via a command line or it also has a GUI (hence its name). RE Pupster's comment, duplicating a mono track to make it stereo won't work as CentreCutGui extracts the 'phantom' centre channel (ie stuff that is equally loud in both channels of a stereo mix) and outputs two files - stereo 'sides' and a mono centre. Depending on how the vocal stems are mixed, you might then get lead vocal in the mono track and backing vocals in stereo.
I tried this out last night... very easy to use and did an excellent job of separating the lead and background vocals on a Rockband vocal stem (Mark Ronson's "Uptown Funk"). Thank you for the link!

I tried this out last night... very easy to use and did an excellent job of separating the lead and background vocals on a Rockband vocal stem (Mark Ronson's "Uptown Funk"). Thank you for the link!

Sounds like I really need this, after all it is 2020; if you really love me, give me an easy trouble free GUI please!

You never give me your GUI
You only give me your funny paper
And in the middle of negotiations
You break down 🎼

Sounds like I really need this, after all it is 2020; if you really love me, give me an easy trouble free GUI please!

You never give me your GUI
You only give me your funny paper
And in the middle of negotiations
You break down 🎼
Sorry for this one 😬 ... it's great having all the expertise here to help guide us
icon_jump.gif

CenterCutGui can be downloaded from here: http://www.moitah.net/download/latest/Center_Cut_GUI.zip It's very easy to use, either via a command line or it also has a GUI (hence its name). RE Pupster's comment, duplicating a mono track to make it stereo won't work as CentreCutGui extracts the 'phantom' centre channel (ie stuff that is equally loud in both channels of a stereo mix) and outputs two files - stereo 'sides' and a mono centre. Depending on how the vocal stems are mixed, you might then get lead vocal in the mono track and backing vocals in stereo.
OK downloaded, but which exe file do I click on for a Windows 10 machine?

The only way I have found to save is click on a stem which opens it up in a new window then you can Save As.

The only way I have found to save is click on a stem which opens it up in a new window then you can Save As.
Are you talking about Acoustica Spleeter Bob; I just tried processing a flac song and don't know if it saved a file or to where?

Also, anyone played with clearing various stems (leaving just say vocals) as marked on this screen shot?

AS-BUTTONS.jpg

Finally got one to work, but not sure how, I was not that impressed with the vocal track with just the Vocals slider selected, I've had better results with the Audacity Vocal Isolation tool.
I did see that it had an Options button that allowed me to save as 88.2khz X 24 bit flac. from a SACD rip of Brown Sugar.

I am having a lot of fun playing with this. Does anyone see an easy way to save the stems as individual files Vocals. piano, drums, Bass and other? it is incredible how good of a job the AI does on the vocals. I have thus far muted the other 4 out of 5 stems to then save the unmuted stem. I am really looking forward to the AI plugins that will give us guitar stems And organ stems and saxophone stems and most importantly a crowd removal AI for concert recordings.
using Acoustica's implementation of Spleeter [music remix], i just make a subtractive file leaving the instrument i want [such as vocals] and save it as [name of the file] vocal.

FYI a couple emails from github over the weekend.

One from spleeter closing my request to add a version flag, so I assume they have done that.

And one from SpleeterGui;

New version 2.5 uploaded yesterday has spleeter core upgrade feature in the help menu
should help with issues like these
https://makenweb.com/spleeter2.php

in reference to all the errors with numba/pip etc.

I haven't checked either (yet), however.

I use it all the time. It's nice to be able to mix on the fly to see how things will "pan" out. Ha!!! I kill me!!!:ROFLMAO:

So is there any update for the version that works in Premium Edition???

I use it all the time. It's nice to be able to mix on the fly to see how things will "pan" out. Ha!!! I kill me!!!:ROFLMAO:

So is there any update for the version that works in Premium Edition???

🤯... I had to do a second take!

And, don't know, haven't spent much time in there yet, but it will circle around again.

Did some more tinkering today and found another cool use for this app. One thing I've never liked in a surround mix is when the lead vocals are present in all channels at full volume - maybe it's my system, but I find that the vocal never quite centers right in the middle of the room like it's supposed to and it makes the other discrete elements in the mix seem less apparent somehow. However, with spleeter it's possible to take an all-channel vocals surround mix and turn it into a SW-esque center-only vocals mix!

I took the song "Workin' Up A Sweat" from Alice Cooper's Muscle Of Love (AF 4.0 SACD) and generated two isolated vocal stems, one from the front channels and the other from the rears. I then inverted them and mixed them back into audio they were generated from, canceling the lead vocal altogether. Finally, I mixed the two stems together, pasted them into the center channel, and tweaked the center volume until it felt balanced.

I think it sounds much better this way - in my car, the lead vocals are now pinned right in the center of the dash instead of appearing everywhere, but the backing vocals are still present in the rears (y)

Original:
Alice 05 Original.jpg

New:
Alice 05 New.jpg

Here's a 20-second sample of how the rears sound with the vocal removed - I found that the backing vocal lines over the chorus are much more noticeable than they are on the original mix.

Attachments

• Alice Muscle 05 Sample.mp3
    467.3 KB · Views: 246
Did some more tinkering today and found another cool use for this app. One thing I've never liked in a surround mix is when the lead vocals are present in all channels at full volume - maybe it's my system, but I find that the vocal never quite centers right in the middle of the room like it's supposed to and it makes the other discrete elements in the mix seem less apparent somehow. However, with spleeter it's possible to take an all-channel vocals surround mix and turn it into a SW-esque center-only vocals mix!

I took the song "Workin' Up A Sweat" from Alice Cooper's Muscle Of Love (AF 4.0 SACD) and generated two isolated vocal stems, one from the front channels and the other from the rears. I then inverted them and mixed them back into audio they were generated from, canceling the lead vocal altogether. Finally, I mixed the two stems together, pasted them into the center channel, and tweaked the center volume until it felt balanced.

I think it sounds much better this way - in my car, the lead vocals are now pinned right in the center of the dash instead of appearing everywhere, but the backing vocals are still present in the rears (y)

Original:
View attachment 51224

New:
View attachment 51225

Here's a 20-second sample of how the rears sound with the vocal removed - I found that the backing vocal lines over the chorus are much more noticeable than they are on the original mix.
Someone should try this technique on AMLOR.
See if they can bring out the buried vocals

Original:
View attachment 51224

New:
View attachment 51225

I've never been a fan of center-only vocals--although some of @Jon's recent experiments have me starting to change my tune. But it's very cool how you guys are starting to play around with "improving" less-than perfect professional mixes. And while the day where anyone can dial up a bespoke mix of their own isn't quite here yet, it doesn't seem so impossible to imagine. Jonathan: maybe you can "fix" Randy Newman's Little Criminals for me and spread the vocals out across the front channels a little!

Last edited:
Jonathan: maybe you can "fix" Randy Newman's Little Criminals for me and spread the vocals out across the front channels a little!

Very easy to do! On some of the songs, the center is literally just Randy and some bass guitar/kick drum - makes for an incredibly clean extraction. Once you have the stem, it's just a matter of adjusting the volume and then mixing it back into the fronts or rears.

Back