New Opeth album "Sorceress" to be released

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given that I have several exquisite Opeth albums in my collection, I really don't feel the need to splurge. No reward for mega-ultra-box-set bundling from Baggy. Will happily support a stand-alone or optical-only package.

I can definitely understand others not wanting to fork out the cash for the deluxe edition. I'd imagine for most here, the vinyl would go completely un-played. I've passed up numerous box sets and missed out on a number of exclusive surround mixes for similar reasons (2 Fleetwood Mac, PF early years, etc...)

Opeth is an absolute favorite of mine, so this is one instance where even if there was a stand alone 5.1, I'd most likely be nabbing it on vinyl too, as I did with the new Katatonia, Nosound, and TPT. So, for me, the $44 asking price is quite fair.

It is odd though, that Opeth have always supported separate 5.1 releases in the past. Why change it up now? My guess is that this is some kind of decision through management at the new label.

Ok, thanks to those of you who found out that there will be a 5.1 mix of this album released. The store site I was looking at didn't have the box set edition.
As of right now, I'm not going to buy this. If I have to buy a box set with vinyl in order to get the 5.1 DVD (which will probably be lossy…) and CDs together, then count me out.
I can do this for classic albums I really love, but I cannot do this for a new release, especially if the 5.1 surround mix will not be at full lossless quality.

Ok, thanks to those of you who found out that there will be a 5.1 mix of this album released. The store site I was looking at didn't have the box set edition.
As of right now, I'm not going to buy this. If I have to buy a box set with vinyl in order to get the 5.1 DVD (which will probably be lossy…) and CDs together, then count me out.
I can do this for classic albums I really love, but I cannot do this for a new release, especially if the 5.1 surround mix will not be at full lossless quality.

I'm okay with a lossy DVD as long as it's DTS 9624. Sure, I'd rather have a lossless Blu-ray, but the Deliverance & Damnation 9624 sounded phenomenal and was damn worth every penny. I was going to get the vinyl to go with my other Opeth vinyls anyway, so I'll probably just get the box. They should offer a stand-alone DVD+2CD edition however. Perhaps they eventually will.

Sent from my LG G4.

if its comming with vinyl then i am out too much good stuff avaiable without Vinyl at the moment i just dont need to spend the money. getting a redundant piece of plastic.

Good luck to Opeth but given how much surround seems to be appearing now Vinyl is a deal breaker with maybe one exception and that a big oen already being discussed elsewhere

I'm okay with a lossy DVD as long as it's DTS 9624. Sure, I'd rather have a lossless Blu-ray, but the Deliverance & Damnation 9624 sounded phenomenal and was damn worth every penny. I was going to get the vinyl to go with my other Opeth vinyls anyway, so I'll probably just get the box. They should offer a stand-alone DVD+2CD edition however. Perhaps they eventually will.

Sent from my LG G4.

Yes, but there's some differences between the "Deliverance/Damnation" set and this one (at least right now.)
First off, I was intimately familiar with "Damnation" as it's one of my favorite albums, so I had to hear that one in surround no matter what format it was in, and Steven Wilson certainly delivered with that mix. Because this is a new album, I'm not as familiar with this material, so I'm less likely to want to take a chance on it in a big expensive box.
Then, we don't even know who mixed this (in surround). If it's Steven Wilson, there's a pretty safe bet that it will be really good, but I don't really like any of the other Opeth surround mixes not mixed by SW, so if it's someone else that mixed this, there's a good chance I won't buy it because I won't like it.
That's where I stand on this release right now, but there's still time to persuade me to jump on in this. ;)

I would only add that, for me, Opeth tends not to be all that catchy or memorable. One mellow album sounds much the same as the others and one aggressive album much the same as the others.
I don't predict them laying down some kind of output here that is so ground-breaking that I must hear it in surround at all costs. If I never get another Opeth surround album I've got plenty, again, unless they do something drastically different - banjos and accordions or something. They've glutted me, in other words, and I'd rather invest in a greater variety of music - especially any acts that haven't "made it" yet. If they keep the price point of this surround release reasonable, in my view, I'm in.

On the fence about getting the box. I don't mind having vinyls and cds along with the 5.1, don't care about the posters and other crap without music! but the shipping costs of the weight ands size of the box and the possibility of it getting stuck at US-Canada border really puts me off. I'm again looking at a hundred buck for an album I haven't heard....Really hope for a cd/dvd combo!

On the fence about getting the box. I don't mind having vinyls and cds along with the 5.1, don't care about the posters and other crap without music! but the shipping costs of the weight ands size of the box and the possibility of it getting stuck at US-Canada border really puts me off. I'm again looking at a hundred buck for an album I haven't heard....Really hope for a cd/dvd combo!

I would not count on it. Unlike previous Opeth releases, the smaller special edition is a 2CD digipack, so looks like the box set is the only option for the 5.1 surround mix. :(

Just curious, have you looked at shipping to Canada from the Nuclear Blast link I provided above? $10 shipping in the states for the deluxe, just over $50.00 total.

Just curious, have you looked at shipping to Canada from the Nuclear Blast link I provided above? $10 shipping in the states for the deluxe, just over $50.00 total.

That link no longer appears to work. I wonder if the deluxe set has sold out?

All of this seems preliminary and may not sort out properly for a while. When the dust settles at some reasonable price I'll make a move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, no kidding... That's strange... I can't imagine it would have sold out that fast...

This is what comes up on that link now:

Error 666
Have you entered your address correctly?
Is your saved bookmark too old?

The item you wanted to look at might already be sold out, or the page has been moved or does no longer exist.

I also tried looking for all Opeth items for sale on the site, and the set that you had linked to with the 5.1 DVD and the 'rosewood' LPs is no longer is shown. They do still show the 'deluxe wooden box set' which also includes the 5.1 DVD. It is bit more expensive though at $59.99 + shipping. I suspect the shipping might be more on the wooden box set also.

I tried to see what shipping costs to Canada would be on the wooden box, but I had to create an account, .... Anyway, $60 US is $78 canadian at the current rate, so add at least $10 for shipping, probably $20US ($26 CDN)....If it gets caught at customs I have to add $5 + 15% taxes to that $78, so that's 78+26+5+12=$121 CDN.... way too expensive! I'll just get the double cd from Amazon at $17. With taxes and free shipping, I'll save $100.....

Thanks Nuclear Blast for your efforts to the surround revolution! :(

In my personal opinion, the record labels that insist on only releasing surround mixes in box sets that include vinyl completely fail to understand the market for surround music. I would bet that the vast majority of folks that want vinyl LPs have no use for the surround mix, and vice versa. Releasing as a limited edition that quickly sells out just makes the situation worse.

This tactic has stopped me from buying the 'Tusk' and 'Mirage' Fleetwood Mac 5.1 releases, the Alan Parsons 'Tales' 5.1 release (which I still am hoping may get put out separately from the box set), and now this latest Opeth surround release. I would happily buy all of these if they were sold as standalone 5.1 DVD or Blu-ray, or bundled with just the CDs.

Back