New Opeth album "Sorceress" to be released

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my personal opinion, the record labels that insist on only releasing surround mixes in box sets that include vinyl completely fail to understand the market for surround music. I would bet that the vast majority of folks that want vinyl LPs have no use for the surround mix, and vice versa. Releasing as a limited edition that quickly sells out just makes the situation worse.

This tactic has stopped me from buying the 'Tusk' and 'Mirage' Fleetwood Mac 5.1 releases, the Alan Parsons 'Tales' 5.1 release (which I still am hoping may get put out separately from the box set), and now this latest Opeth surround release. I would happily buy all of these if they were sold as standalone 5.1 DVD or Blu-ray, or bundled with just the CDs.

Agreed, except that stand-alone DVD-A/V discs were tried out for the first five or so years of the previous decade and have not made a comeback since then.
I also think that that stand-alone Blu-Ray audio discs are on their way out too as the amount of those releases have shrunk this year, so from here on out, I'm totally OK with bundling these types of discs together with CDs as I expect that's the only way many surround releases will ever come to fruition.

Agreed, except that stand-alone DVD-A/V discs were tried out for the first five or so years of the previous decade and have not made a comeback since then.
I also think that that stand-alone Blu-Ray audio discs are on their way out too as the amount of those releases have shrunk this year, so from here on out, I'm totally OK with bundling these types of discs together with CDs as I expect that's the only way many surround releases will ever come to fruition.

And the inclusion of the CD really adds no significance to the price. Price on both Riverside and Katatonia was $13.99, and about $15 for the new nosound cd/blu. Easily affordable.

I am pretty sure it was forum favourite Neil Wilkes who has said in the past that CD/DVD combos were cheap to manufacture, with negligible extra cost

I wouldn't mind spending the cash on a known quantity of great songs/great mix album, despite the usual process of creating my own CD case for the 5.1 (they usually get the poorest packaging in these box sets). And ditching or giving away the vinyl or CDs it came with. Unfortunately without a stand alone surround this won't be a day one purchase and I will wait for the reviews. Luckily plenty of other discs to listen to!

I am pretty sure it was forum favourite Neil Wilkes who has said in the past that CD/DVD combos were cheap to manufacture, with negligible extra cost

And he's right! A CD/DVDA-V combo still is the most cost-efficient option for surround releases that also does not neglect the stereo CD audience too.

Still no word on who has mixed the 5.1 for Sorceress? I think SW would have mentioned on his FB page by now if it was him. I'm mostly hoping it's someone besides Bruce Soord.. I wasn't into his surround mix of Deliverance much.

For people looking for deals on the 5 disc set to get the dvd, try www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01JBHAR6E ... their shipping rates are better than NB's.

Still no word on who has mixed the 5.1 for Sorceress? I think SW would have mentioned on his FB page by now if it was him. I'm mostly hoping it's someone besides Bruce Soord.. I wasn't into his surround mix of Deliverance much.

Yeah from what I know, SW definitely did not mix this album. He said in the Facebook Q&A that he heard it once, which implies he did not mix it, cause if he had, he would have heard it a lot more than one time. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For people looking for deals on the 5 disc set to get the dvd, try www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01JBHAR6E ... their shipping rates are better than NB's.

While I haven't heard the entirety of this album yet, it sound like it's going to be in a similar vein to Heritage and Pale Communion. Frankly, the styling of those two albums definitely play to Bruce's strengths as a surround engineer. If it's announced that he did the surround mix on this I will feel VERY relieved...

I do have this pre-ordered, but at this point, the lack of details regarding the surround has me feeling a bit skeptical... Right now, I'm getting a sort-of, half-assed, afterthought vibe about this.

Also: If you haven't checked out any of Bruce's recent surround work, I highly recommend you do.

Steven Wilson said on his Facebook Q&A some weeks back that he heard the album once, which definitely rules him out for doing the 5.1 mix.

Also: If you haven't checked out any of Bruce's recent surround work, I highly recommend you do.

The only other of his I've heard besides Deliverance is his TesseracT - Polaris mix. It's hit & miss.. and honestly, sounds like he was rushed a bit. He does some genius things with the layered vocals in particular, but then there are a few songs where some vocals/instruments are just overtly crushingly loud.. like he didn't have time to go do that one last pass on the tracks that would've caught that sort of thing.

Point me in the direction of one you'd recommend in particular? (that isn't Katatonia.. )

The only other of his I've heard besides Deliverance is his TesseracT - Polaris mix. It's hit & miss.. and honestly, sounds like he was rushed a bit. He does some genius things with the layered vocals in particular, but then there are a few songs where some vocals/instruments are just overtly crushingly loud.. like he didn't have time to go do that one last pass on the tracks that would've caught that sort of thing.

Point me in the direction of one you'd recommend in particular? (that isn't Katatonia.. )
Riverside Love, Fear and the Time machine. His solo album is great, but 5.1 was only available with rep orders. The latest Pineapplethief is excellent too.

What Robert said. (y)

Riverside Love, Fear and the Time machine. His solo album is great, but 5.1 was only available with rep orders. The latest Pineapplethief is excellent too.

The 3 Robert has mentioned are my favorite 3 as well. One I would add to Roberts list and can be had for very cheap if you don't mind a flac dowload(cost 5 pounds):Ghost Community.
I enjoyed this one, need to check it out again.
2 more that aren't out yet are "Gong" and "Fire Garden" which have releases coming out soon.
I don't have 'They Might Be Owls', so thats another one as well.

http://ghostcommunity.co.uk/shop/

Thanks Pete, Ghost Community is great music too, lyrics wise a bit weak. they Might Be Owls is an excellent surround mix too. The growling vocals might be off putting at first, but they make a nice companion to the clean vocals.

Thanks Pete, Ghost Community is great music too, lyrics wise a bit weak. they Might Be Owls is an excellent surround mix too. The growling vocals might be off putting at first, but they make a nice companion to the clean vocals.

Understatement of the year:D

Hit and miss is a very accurate discription. The vocals on TessarcT are compressed to death, with too much treble, but I think the stem was like that before Bruce touched it.

I STRONGLY concur.

Back