New Opeth album "Sorceress" to be released

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must confess that the lines to everything at Radio City Music Hall (concessions, restrooms and most especially merch table) I did not secure any information. But what a fine show! Pictures coming to gigs thread soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the worst 5.1 mix I've ever heard. So bad that I prefer the stereo version by far. That reverb coming from the rears is plain annoying and actually makes it sound less clear than the stereo. There is NOTHING but reverb coming from the rears. And it's not much better regarding the center speaker. What a bad joke. Even the "Ghost Reveries" 5.1 mix is better than this.

How can a professional studio engineer come out with an abysmal "surround" mix like this? It's embarrasing.

I'm starting to like the album though. Some songs are pretty good, especially tracks 6 to 9. "Strange Brew" is my personal highlight from this album.

Like The Astonishing, I purchased the Hi-Res download and still haven't picked up a physical copy of the album as yet. It's not a bad record but I don't love the album either. Will continue to listen to it though.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

This is the worst 5.1 mix I've ever heard. So bad that I prefer the stereo version by far. That reverb coming from the rears is plain annoying and actually makes it sound less clear than the stereo. There is NOTHING but reverb coming from the rears. And it's not much better regarding the center speaker. What a bad joke. Even the "Ghost Reveries" 5.1 mix is better than this.

How can a professional studio engineer come out with an abysmal "surround" mix like this? It's embarrasing.

I'm starting to like the album though. Some songs are pretty good, especially tracks 6 to 9. "Strange Brew" is my personal highlight from this album.

This time I can only say, there existst no surround mix of Sorceress.
What they sell us is misleading!
Some songs are pretty good (The Ward and Strange Brew are my favorites) but I feel, that Opeth started to repeat themselves!
Perhaps this is my last Opeth record.

My box set turned up this afternoon and although I have a large pile of other music in surround to listen to I thought I'd give it a go. Having read a few other peoples comments I couldn't halt the order after it had been sent, but I thought well I'll be open minded.

Oh dear, where is the surround? where is the mix? This makes the worst of the Silverline look Ok! Its in Dulby to start with, reports 5.1, but it sounds like stereo with some front bleed into the rear speakers, its pure CR*P :flame I only bought the box set to get the surround, and as the previous Steven Wilson one's have been so good I thought they would at least make a good attempt to replicate his good works. But sadly no :mad: The person who did the "5.1 Surround Mix" really should have listened to some proper surround mixes before embarking on this. So Opeth if you're going to have anymore surround mixes done, get Steven Wilson to do them or don't bother releasing them.

I feel I have been taken for a ride and ripped off.

Apart from all that, I like the music, I like the album :). Just feel sad at what could have been :(

My box set turned up this afternoon and although I have a large pile of other music in surround to listen to I thought I'd give it a go. Having read a few other peoples comments I couldn't halt the order after it had been sent, but I thought well I'll be open minded.

Oh dear, where is the surround? where is the mix? This makes the worst of the Silverline look Ok! Its in Dulby to start with, reports 5.1, but it sounds like stereo with some front bleed into the rear speakers, its pure CR*P :flame I only bought the box set to get the surround, and as the previous Steven Wilson one's have been so good I thought they would at least make a good attempt to replicate his good works. But sadly no :mad: The person who did the "5.1 Surround Mix" really should have listened to some proper surround mixes before embarking on this. So Opeth if you're going to have anymore surround mixes done, get Steven Wilson to do them or don't bother releasing them.

Apart from all that, I like the music, I like the album :). Just feel sad at what could have been :(

You're so right!
Excactly my opinions!

It's a shame. I don't know what good it would do, but maybe we should all pass an email along to nuclear blast expressing our disappointment with this release. Maybe give them some respectful, but constructive criticism about how they handled this.

Just heard of the Pale Communion 5.1 BD error and have just inverted the left and sub channel myself (Download code at Warnermusic is not working anymore)

Can it be because of that error they didn't make a proper 5.1 mix of Sorceress???

Think I'll tease Opeth on their facebook site offering them that I can make the 5.1 mix for free! Then my sixth 5.1 would be a really nice one!:)
.... Or we could suggest a competition: Who from QQ can make the best 5.1 mix of the Sorceress?;)

I'm sure the problem doesn't have anything to do with inverted phase this time!
Anyway, thanks to this thread, I didn't order the expensive box for a crappy surround! I opted for the 2-cd version at $13 from an amazon seller! I used the money I saved to order blu-rays of XTC's Oranges & Lemons, and Yes's Tales from Topographic Oceans.

Last edited:
This is such a good album but I am left dumbfounded by how pathetic the 5.1 DVD is and why the band, their management or Nuclear Blast even bothered. If it was looked upon as some kind of bonus incentive for the box set, they failed miserably. The box set was fine on its own merits and hardcore fans of the band were going to collect regardless. But what they failed to realize is that they isolated a whole market of surround enthusiasts and degraded the product by including a lame-ass'd joke of a disc. Even people who aren't surround enthusiasts that listen to that disc are going to scratch their heads. The extra channels don't add to or enhance the stereo experience. They actually detract from it. The reverb sounds odd/off. It's like they just did it to say it was a "surround" option. Sorry, but that's not how it's done.

For the love of all things music, give those 24 bit tracks to Wilson and let him make something or don't bother with 5.1 at all. Wilson could have spent a single afternoon and come up with something at least listenable compared to this hogwash. Otherwise, just put the 24 bit stereo master on a DVD and leave it alone.

Tried this out last night after watching the Roundhouse Tapes with it's 4.0 dts mix (which isn't great itself with pretty much nothing coming out of the rears but the sound quality of the fronts is awesome). What a disappointment. I only got to The Wilde Flowers before turning it off and moving on to something else. Somebody pointed out on another forum that the mastering is better on the 5.1 mix (including L and R channels) but you wouldn't think it by listening. It sounds so flat and lifeless. When Sorceress kicks in it has no punch like on the stereo mix. It's very odd that the Centre channel is just full of reverb like it's a rear channel. Something just sounds off with this. When The Wilde Flowers kicks in it gets even worse. For me the mix folds to the right and sounds very off balance, that is when I turned it off.

A complete waste of a disc. They could have at least put the hi-res stereo on there and maybe a DTS mix so that a mixdown could be done (I know it could be done with the DD5.1 but I don't think it's worth bothering).

This is the worst surround mix I've ever heard. I'd have been fine with a ''standard, just good enough'' mix with vocals in the centre and reverb in the rears but to have a useless centre too is a sham and there is just something off about the mix.

They could at least provide us with the stems so a mix can be done. This is pathetic.

Just wrote on Opeth facebookpage - and I'll hope for lots of Likes and Opeth attention!:)

»Sorceress« is GREAT!!!
But please make a proper surround sound mix instead of the one with only reverb in the rear speakers! We’re a lot crying on QuadraphonicQuad Forum!!! Every band who respect their own music should release it the best way and that include surround sound mix. If you can’t find others who can make a proper 5.1 mix I’ll be pleased for free to make you a 4.0, 5.1 and 7.1 mix of Sorceress to be sold from your homepage!
Long Live Prog!

Just wrote on Opeth facebookpage - and I'll hope for lots of Likes and Opeth attention!:)

»Sorceress« is GREAT!!!
But please make a proper surround sound mix instead of the one with only reverb in the rear speakers! We’re a lot crying on QuadraphonicQuad Forum!!! Every band who respect their own music should release it the best way and that include surround sound mix. If you can’t find others who can make a proper 5.1 mix I’ll be pleased for free to make you a 4.0, 5.1 and 7.1 mix of Sorceress to be sold from your homepage!
Long Live Prog!

Can't even find your post (one of the reasons I hate FB, so hard to follow anything properly).

Can't even find your post (one of the reasons I hate FB, so hard to follow anything properly).

Thanks for looking!;)

I tried to find a post about the album itself and that was:
"Opeth 13. oktober kl. 17:41 ·
»Sorceress« enters charts worldwide!
Order »Sorceress« - physical:
http://opeth.com/stores..."

So that takes some scrolling;)
Tried also to write the same in a NEW post, but it looked like it had to be approved first (and it hasn't yet... well they are busy... shall we say that? LOL:D

Back