New (overlooked) Elliott Scheiner mix: Alain Mallet, Mutt Slang (DTS CD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right, Gene--it was you I heard it from. Or maybe it was the grapevine...
hahaha, I was certainly kidding. I don't care at all.....in fact, I honestly can't remember 1 post from the next normally. For the record (lmfao), I didn't order the USB stick, though I'm still tempted! I dig the music.

Proper credit goes to @Clement for pointing this out, but Mutt Slang II was remixed to 5.1 again by Scheiner(!) and is available to buy at Bandcamp as FLAC files on a USB stick. As for why the FLACs aren't also available in a downloadable option, I honestly can't say...

I don't know either--sort of an odd distribution model--although the stick also includes 16/44.1 stereo WAVs, 24/44.1 stereo FLACs, mp3s, and a couple of videos.

And after one listen, it's one of my favorite albums of the year, both for the music and for the Elliot Scheiner surround mix. For me, this is a sleeper on the order of Mary Fahl's Dark Side of the Moon.

Serious jazz fans will be satisfied: there's some great soloing and top-shelf ensemble playing, and the compositions and arrangements are really sophisticated. But there's nothing here for non-fans to be afraid of, either, because the album is full of catchy melodies and fabulous (Brazilian and Sephardic and Latin and Afrobeat-flavored) grooves. A few tracks with vocals, too. It's really joyous, head-bobbing stuff. And Mallet has a history playing not just with jazz names like Phil Woods, Paquito D'Rivera, and Dave Samuels, but also Paul Simon, Madeleine Peyroux, and Jonatha Brooke (they used to be married). Pretty sure fans of the Pat Metheny Group will dig this. (I think the dedicatee of the opening track, "Trolls," may be Lyle Mays.)

Plus, Mallet has decided to give his share of the album proceeds to Black Lives Matter.

So give this guy your money! How many other brand-new Elliot Scheiner mixes are you going to hear this year (or any other year)?

Order it:
https://alainmallet.bandcamp.com/album/a-wake-of-sorrows-engulfed-in-rage-special-edition-51
Watch a video:

Read a review:
https://www.allaboutjazz.com/a-wake...rage-alain-mallet-mutt-slang-2-origin-records

Last edited:
Just so I'm clear, the only way to get the surround mix of Mutt Slang is to buy the CD, not the digital album on Bandcamp, right?

Appreciate the heads up on Vol. 2, I really enjoy the Vol. 1 DTS disc! Going to order the USB now.👍🏻

Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as both humprof and myself. The musicianship is TOP NOTCH and the 5.1 recording/remix SUPERB!

And it's encouraging that the GREAT Elliot Scheiner is still 'dabbling' in Surround remixes and realizes that 'retirement is overrated' and his skills are still sought after, perhaps now MORE THAN EVER!

Back