New quad owner here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madog99

:)Good day folks , I am now the prould owner of a Sansui QRX3000 and have been searching the web for info on these units and came across this site .
I must say I had no idea that quad was still around so this is all a bit of a blast from the past . I do remember quad from my HS days , buddy had a van with a quad 8 track and it was pretty cool .
But now I have this unit running in 2 channel mode and am digging the sound of it for sure. It's in a small office/spare room and plays very loud at low volume.
I have no quad discs of any sort but would like to get my hands on something to demo with at least . Can normal DVD players work using DTS?
I was under the impression that DTS required the use of a center channel ?
I have also read about the cd downloads so will try a few small samples of that . But since all my cd players output to 2 rcas will this work ? Or do I need a DVD player with the 5 analogue out's to get it to work properley .
Spent a lot of time reading about Quadbob's service , sounds very nice indeed but I think I will stick with the stock unit as is , maybe if it was one of the higher end models it could be feasable at some point .
any suggestions of software types and playback equipment (cd/dvd) would be appreciated .

thanks
John

If you picked up a "universal DVD player", like an Oppo, that has 6 channel analog outs, you could play a DTS CD (most are 4.0) through your surround receiver by putting the Front and rear channel analog outs into the 4 channel tape input of the Sansui. However, to play a 5.1 disc, you'd need two more channels of amplification and two more speakers.

The fastest way for you to do quad would be to go to eBay, bag a Q8 player (you can get one for around $40 or so) and a few Q8's.

With the Oppo you can also down-mix 5.1 to 4.0 by turning off the center & sub outputs. I love my Oppo... an inexpensive way to go and it gets you not only DTS but also SACD and DVD-A capabilities. But you'd better hurry if you want new titles in those formats...

Mark Z

Well thanks for the info folks , might look around for a player with the out's on it , I have seen them pretty cheap . I was not looking for home theater playback , just something to play on the sansui to say that I had a quad , if you know what I mean .
Anyway checking it out last night I hooked up a small set of speakers to the back and used the synth setting . One rear channel was out , changed the fuse and it works but is distorted on the right rear (regular cd) . It does play though , sounds a bit like the prologic setting I had on my 5.1 . Fun to play with anyway .
It will do a nice job here in my computer/spare bdr . I am pretty amazed at the stereo sound of this wee beasty , I had an AU-101 and Au-6900 int amps and they didn't sound as good as this I think ?? But was a long time ago and it was the 70's afterall .
cheers
John

Back