New Receiver Won't Decode 4 Channel Flac Files in Foobar Bit Perfect Mode

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boggmeister

I listen to my digital music via and HP desktop through and HDMI connection to a Yamaha Aventage A880 receiver. I use Foobar 2000 in the bit perfect mode (WSAPI) so all of the decoding is done by the receiver. When I try to play a quadraphonic flac file that contains four channels only, the receiver will not properly decode it. It defaults to the stereo mode. A quad file that contains 6 channels (5.1) with the center and LFE channels empty will play fine. My previous receiver, an Onkyo, did not have this issue. In order to play a 4 channel only flac file I have to change the foobar output to a windows default device and let the PC do the decoding.

I am assuming the Yamaha does not recognize a 4 channel only flac file as a valid surround format. I would love to be able to leave the system in bit perfect mode and be able to listen to any flac file.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Using Sox, in order to add silent c+lfe: sox quad.wav 51.wav remix 1 2 0 0 3 4

where quad.wav: your 4 channel file
51.wav: the resulting 6 channel file
1 2 0 0 3 4: the matrix order of the channels.

The Sox way, since it is based on a Command-line tool, make it easy to do a BIG batch of files and since it is just re-writing the same file it is very fast.

@winopener - Thank You !! I downloaded MMH and gave it a try. It's exactly what I needed and was very fast. I have a large collection of Quad files in various stages of disrepair. I'll take my new found tool and convert and clean up the lot.

I joined this board ten years ago but have rarely frequented it. I'm going to spend some more time here now. Thanks again.

Back