New "Rick Wakeman" album with Surround Option

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As many here, not so excited about this release, specifically from the surround perspective. Posted my review, which you are welcome to read.
https://hiresedition.com/review/progressive-rock/rick-wakeman-a-gallery-of-the-imagination.html
Being extremely disappointed how they did the same thing with the Red Planet I did not bother with this release. Might as well buy the CD and use the simulated presets such as Dolby Prologic II on your AV Receiver it will effectively do the same job as what the so-called software does. 5.1 consists of 6 channels not just 2 as they are using, Simulations I am not into not even Dolby Atmos because that is not a channel it's a simulation and one that your AV Reciever is capable of doing without it. Mind you I have never been into anything Dolby has done not even their so-called noise reduction that used to come on Cassette Decks many moons ago It's nothing more than a low pass filter and cuts out quite a bit of the material that was in the original mix.

Being extremely disappointed how they did the same thing with the Red Planet I did not bother with this release. Might as well buy the CD and use the simulated presets such as Dolby Prologic II on your AV Receiver it will effectively do the same job as what the so-called software does. 5.1 consists of 6 channels not just 2 as they are using, Simulations I am not into not even Dolby Atmos because that is not a channel it's a simulation and one that your AV Reciever is capable of doing without it. Mind you I have never been into anything Dolby has done not even their so-called noise reduction that used to come on Cassette Decks many moons ago It's nothing more than a low pass filter and cuts out quite a bit of the material that was in the original mix.
So I'm curious what receiver you have that is capable of Atmos - like results, but doesn't actually play Atmos? I'm pretty happy with my 7.1.4 Atmos system and a well mixed piece of music. But I have an open mind. Well I'm guessing it can't be using anything Dolby.

So I'm curious what receiver you have that is capable of Atmos - like results, but doesn't actually play Atmos? I'm pretty happy with my 7.1.4 Atmos system and a well mixed piece of music. But I have an open mind. Well I'm guessing it can't be using anything Dolby.
It does not matter what receiver you have but you do not need speakers in your ceiling to hear things above you 5.1 is capable of producing that without having extra speakers it's really all down to speaker placement and nothing more. I've always looked at Atmos as a pinpointing system in that you have those extra speakers to direct certain sounds to them. I also look at it as defeating the object of what your receiver is capable of doing in the first place without them. Atmos uses metadata it's not a channel and neither is it discreet, it's a very similar environmental effect to what Creative Labs created years ago with EAX for games.

Regarding Dolby, many of the things they have done over the years are not exactly what I would call the bee's knees. Take Dolby Digital for example the weakest form of surround sound a format that many top engineers today refuse to use anymore. At the end of the day if you are happy with your system that is all that really matters. I'm not saying I dislike Atmos but from what I've heard of it on a few systems now it does not impress me enough to make me want to change my receiver or go out and buy more speakers. I prefer to let my receiver show me what it's capable of doing and that impresses me a damn sight more than Atmos will ever do in my book.

It does not matter what receiver you have but you do not need speakers in your ceiling to hear things above you 5.1 is capable of producing that without having extra speakers it's really all down to speaker placement and nothing more. I've always looked at Atmos as a pinpointing system in that you have those extra speakers to direct certain sounds to them. I also look at it as defeating the object of what your receiver is capable of doing in the first place without them. Atmos uses metadata it's not a channel and neither is it discreet, it's a very similar environmental effect to what Creative Labs created years ago with EAX for games.

Regarding Dolby, many of the things they have done over the years are not exactly what I would call the bee's knees. Take Dolby Digital for example the weakest form of surround sound a format that many top engineers today refuse to use anymore. At the end of the day if you are happy with your system that is all that really matters. I'm not saying I dislike Atmos but from what I've heard of it on a few systems now it does not impress me enough to make me want to change my receiver or go out and buy more speakers. I prefer to let my receiver show me what it's capable of doing and that impresses me a damn sight more than Atmos will ever do in my book.
Well Sir I don't follow your logic exactly, but that's of no matter. Like you said, as long as you are happy with what you have and are enjoying your music, that is all that counts.
Happy listening!

Back