New Rick Wakeman DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottmoose

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Calling all Wakeman fans!
Err -the above says it all really: it's the much-delayed DVD film from this years progressive rock album 'Out There', that Rick dedicated to those lost aboard the Columbia. Those of us in the UK get it in late Febuary. :D
Release date in the US is 8th March. I suspect the delay (it was due out over here originally in June / July) had something to do with Damian Wilson, the album's vocalist, departing and his replacement with the (much more fun when warmed up) Ashley Holt on the UK tour (it was extraordianarily good BTW). Oh, and the sound's going to be in DD & DTS 5.1. This is starting to sound rather promising! :sun
Whatever the reasons, it's just great to know we're finally going to get the long mooted DVD.
Scott :banana:

It is ugly perfomance. Video contetnt is absolutely pointless with primitive computer graphics and annoying stuff.
In contrast there is beuatiful atmosphere concert dvd - "the classical connection".

Hej: What DVD was this actually referencing and anyone have another review? I see that Rick has several DVDs out there "The Anthology" "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and " With the Rock Ensemble Orchestra"..... any worth the price of admission? tack.
John S.

Hej: What DVD was this actually referencing and anyone have another review? I see that Rick has several DVDs out there "The Anthology" "Journey to the Center of the Earth" and " With the Rock Ensemble Orchestra"..... any worth the price of admission? tack.
John S.

Well, 13 years later, but here’s a reply!!

I found this at a used shop today. Tried to look online for reviews on the surround mix, couldn’t find anything, so I bought it anyway, as it was pretty cheap. Just finished watching it, and the surround mix is very good, mostly immersive but with a few discrete moments when sounds fly around. The music really rocks, obviously in a proggy way, since the caped crusader is involved!! For progheads the band also includes Lee Pomeroy on bass and Damian Wilson on vocals.
The visuals are a bit dated now, but I bought it for the 5.1 DTS and was not disappointed. Comes with an interesting documentary too.
Anyway, I found this old thread, but couldn’t find anything else on this forum, unless I missed it. I was kind of surprised that this release didn’t get much attention on this site, considering there does seem to be some interest in his other surround releases.
10A0E9F9-227E-4BD5-988A-57A275EE60C5.jpeg
5A5A10E7-6E66-4C01-BB7D-72F224A4EFD7.jpeg

Ah, yes. Your link is the correct one. Mine looks like a CD, with a DVD. Though......who knows what you really get.
Yes, that is the one, but mine is the NTSC version, not the PAL one. Not sure what you get with the CD/DVD version, they make it sound like it's only the documentary on the DVD. The copy I posted above is just a DVD, but it has the entire album in 5.1 along with the documentary as a separate file. The album is interspersed with random space footage, I guess it was part of his "concept". That might bother some folks, but it acts as a link between songs and is easy enough to ignore. The songs themselves include clips of the band playing, along with more computer graphics, again feeling a bit dated. Like the liner notes say, it's a "progressive rock DVD album, presented in crisp three-dimensional sound".

Back