New Rock DVD-A from QuadroSurround coming - Kickhunter/Quadraphonic Game

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I just received a press release for a new rock release from Germany's QuadroSurround label, run by forum member Dietrich Rasch , the same folks who released the Ogre "Plague of the Planet" and the "Parsons-Thibaud" DVD-A's.

It is a compilation special release from the band "Kickhunter"

Here is the press release info, slightly translated:

Dear fans of Quadraphonic and Surround Sound,

After a short interruption we can now announce the next QuadroSurround release. Fans of rock music will appreciate the wait as this release is sure to please. All of the songs with a few exceptions were written by band leader Stefan Aurel. Their music is not like "heave-ho", but contains varied rhythm's and themes.. Among the robust all-out rockers you'll find a few rock ballads as well. The music of Kickhunter is easily accessible and very pleasing to the ears. This band has been touring Germany for over 10 years and is now playing gigs in other countries. They have in the past opened for larger acts such as Deep Purple and Molly Hatchet. Over that time they have released 3 CDs, from which we have taken their best tracks, mixed them for Quadraphonic sound (4.0), and put them on an exclusive DVD-A called "Quadraphonic Game". We are putting it out there and hope you will take the time to check it out, as there are not many Rock bands releasing music that is as dynamic and melodic in surround sound these days as "Kickhunter".

When I get my review copy I will give you all a full report. Those interested can contact Dietrich at [email protected]

Kickhunter.jpg

I listened to not this album, but another one, and it has a strong southern rock sound to it. While the record label is German, The band is pure southern rock. Interesting artwork. Looks like stuff from the quad era.

Dietrich was nice enough to send me a review copy of this disc, so I checked it out today.

It's pure pop/rock, and the surround mix is excellent. I listened to it all the way through twice, and found myself gravitating back to two songs right off the bat. "Mine All Mine" is a song that reminds me in a way of Badfinger, and the song "Water" which starts off with a Doobie Brothers vibe but as it progresses sounds more like an "On the Border"-era Eagles tune.

Many of these songs stick with you after you play them, and as The Quadfather says above, it's very much like Southern Rock, guitar driven, with nice vocal harmonies and lead singing by both male and female performers.

The vocals are all in English in case you were wondering. Again, another fine effort from QuadroSurround. I wasn't sure I was going to like it as I listened to the first track, but as I made my way through it I found myself liking it and enjoying it more. Their version of "Roll Over Beethoven" is a little odd, I have to say, but I really don't have to like everything I hear. They really rip it on on the next track, "Caroline", and it only makes me wonder what "Roll Over.." would have sounded like if they did it that way.

The 4.0 mix is very discrete and those who like their audio that way will be very pleased with the mix.

Here a statement from Quadro-Surround. And thanks to Jon, who has made a well introduction of our newest quadraphonic production with the Rockband" Kickhunter". By the way - we are proud, that we are the worldwide sole label with quadraphonic tradition and which produces especially in a 4-channel mixdown - for the fans of Quadraponics.. Now we have finished wirth Kickhunter our eleventh quadraphonic production. This band plays on the same level as for example OGRE (which we have also produced in 4-channel), but each of the bands has of course their own style. OGRE tells with hard rock a rock-story, while Kickhunter sounds sometimes in direction EAGLES, but nevertheless rocking. I have hope, our technicians set to Monday 3 music examples in our webside www.quadro-surround.de. So you can test it self. For askings about the possibility for an order: Maile easy a message to me as producer with [email protected]. Price by such an expensive production must be $ 22 including mailing by post. Payying by paypal. In late autumn we produce a second "OGRE" in quadraphonic sound. Till then, you may have fun with" Kickhunter" and their rock music, which will drive straightaway in your ears.

Dietrich

Now you can listen on our webside quadro-surround.de 3 examples of well listening rock music and songs. I think, better can't do also the big companies (when they would do). Especially, when Kickhunter is heard in full quadraphonic surround. It is now the turn of the fans, if they would like to have really and present quadraphonic productions.

Dietrich

Thanks to Dietrich for making this available in quad. I really like the band, and the mix is quite discrete with a lot of rear activity. The following are my thoughts and opinions on some of the songs:

Ain’t Got Nothing Better - Nice panning on the guitar solos. Though in my opinion, the drums are buried in the mix. The drums would likely be better presented with less reverb and more volume on the dry drum sources; this seems to be the case for the majority of the songs with a few exceptions.

Another Tear – Nice sound effects break in the middle of the song. This is almost worth the price alone.

Heaven Knows - Nice discrete toms in the rear.

Revolution – This song has a nice break with cowbells and clavinet in the rears. Has a Uriah Heep-like quality to it.

Child of Love – This song has an Iggy Pop energy to it and is unquestionably the best overall mix on the whole disc. The drums are right up front and in your face, as I like them to be.

Roll Over Beethoven – You gotta love the Hammond organ with the Leslie on this one. What an interesting cover of this song.

Caroline – Nice separation.

Despite the inconsistent drum mix levels, to me this disc is well worth getting. I really like a lot of the music and would like to see the band live if that was ever possible. Though something tells me I would have to cross the big pond to do so.

Back