New Sounds in Brass (1972) Hybrid Quadraphonic SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cdJapan has just shipped my copy! Will have it in 7 days according to DHL
The 4th for mine, this release is still a big head scratcher for me. I certainly don’t bemoan “any” surround release (mostly.)
I just couldn’t resist what this one’s all about. And so much for my hoping for a quick roll out of other titles- anyone sniff out something else in the pipeline?

cdJapan has just shipped my copy! Will have it in 7 days according to DHL
Same here! Cannot wait to hear the QUAD mix on this one.

I'll also be receiving Toto IV and Santana III.

Reactions: GOS
Yep - It's ALIIIIIVEEE!!!

NSIB SACD MC.jpg

Oh boy, of all the stuff they could have chosen to release, they pick this one, my excitement meter is off the charts :rolleyes:
Hopefully it’s just the first of a quick paced campaign, for many, many to follow.
Egads, JP, after hearing the first cut OB LA DI OB LA DA ....George and John are certain to be rollin' over in their graves!

How’s the mix?
A pretty mild and flaccid mix in my opinion, first grab is the orig. dsf file converted to flac with front channels at 5.224 db and the rears at 11.942 db

The second pic, I added a silent LFE for 5.1 and upped the rears by 6 dbs, still a very soft mix with few discrete elements but sounds more enveloping.

01 - Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da ORIG.jpg

1101 - Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da +6dbR.jpg

At least from the waveforms, it looks very unusual for a CBS (Sony) quad mix - all four channels look like they're about 80% identical in terms of content, when normallly you'd expect entirely discrete elements in the rears to make the crappy SQ decoders of 1972 do anything at all. I can't imagine this sounded very good at all in matrix form if that's what it looks like in discrete form - probably closer to 4 channel mono than quadraphonic surround!

At least from the waveforms, it looks very unusual for a CBS (Sony) quad mix - all four channels look like they're about 80% identical in terms of content, when normallly you'd expect entirely discrete elements in the rears to make the crappy SQ decoders of 1972 do anything at all. I can't imagine this sounded very good at all in matrix form if that's what it looks like in discrete form - probably closer to 4 channel mono than quadraphonic surround!
Maybe others here will find it entertaining, I just know I’m one of those that likes a Quad mix that’ll slap me around a bit with no apologies.

A pretty mild and flaccid mix in my opinion, first grab is the orig. dsf file converted to flac with front channels at 5.224 db and the rears at 11.942 db

The second pic, I added a silent LFE for 5.1 and upped the rears by 6 dbs, still a very soft mix with few discrete elements but sounds more enveloping.

View attachment 81965

View attachment 81966

I can see why you would be intrigued by & purchase that album. The title & cover art screams Enoch Light to me. I would anticipate some wild & crazy 70's quad. But I guess not.

The ensuing comments makes me think of a point I never fail to pass up: if it's a lackluster mediocre discrete surround mix, try it through the Surround Master. Much like this has been brought to life in my experiance this way. Just hook those 'ol stereo analog outs from your Oppo to the SM & compare. If you get really ambitious rip the CD stereo layer and add some judicial pre-synth. Would most certainly be interested in your opinion if you do this!

I can see why you would be intrigued by & purchase that album. The title & cover art screams Enoch Light to me. I would anticipate some wild & crazy 70's quad. But I guess not.

The ensuing comments makes me think of a point I never fail to pass up: if it's a lackluster mediocre discrete surround mix, try it through the Surround Master. Much like this has been brought to life in my experiance this way. Just hook those 'ol stereo analog outs from your Oppo to the SM & compare. If you get really ambitious rip the CD stereo layer and add some judicial pre-synth. Would most certainly be interested in your opinion if you do this!
Some decent considerations for sure; I’m not sure I have enough interest in the music itself to waste a lot of time on. So far I feel like this is some very good College Marching Band playing Muzak style in their gym type stuff. But I also knew that going in; I thought perhaps at least the mix would be more lively.
Let’s not get too dramatic here though :) until we hear from others also. To be fair I’ve spent very little time digging into it in detail so far.

I gave it a first, and most probably last listen to last night. It's a useless surround mix as far as I'm concerned and a great mix is the only thing that could save this music for me.... Oh well on to better music!
And just to put a finer point on it from my perspective at least; I’ve bought lots of Classical and other styles of music of the SACD Quads from Dutton Vocalion, and not knowing anything about the music; at least I know I’ll be getting an interesting if not intense surround experience with those.

In hindsight, I believe we can now FULLY appreciate and savor all those wonderful wildly discrete 'easy listening' Quad two fer SACDs which Michael Dutton has liberated from the RCA/Columbia vaults for a fraction of what SONY Japan charged for this dud.

But thanks to all who took the time to purchase and listen to NEW SOUNDS IN BRASS.

So glad I didn't 'bite!'

• Sad
Reactions: GOS
Back