New SQ decoder purchase

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4audio

I just picked up a Sony SQ decoder from ebay. Decoder SQD-2070 Unit
Item # 1380879208

I was just wondering if anybody could tell me anything about the abilities of this unit. It does say that it's full logic. I am hoping that this will be fairly descent for my first intro. to quad.
Also, I only paid $10.00 for it. Is that as good as it seems, for any SQ decoder really?
Well, it's not the Fosgate Tate, but it's a start.

Chris

From what I remember, that is a pretty good one. Actually, a GREAT one for $10!!!!!

:-jon

Revving up the database we see the unit was available for at least the years 1974-1976.

List price of $90.

It doesn't appear on eBay nearly as much as other Sony decoder models.

The 2070 has "wave-form matching logic"

The separation between the left and right front speakers is 35db. The ads apparently stressed the viable stereo ability of the unit while perhaps downplaying quad ability.

I have been told the decoder is basically the same as what is in the 2030 and 2020 models though I have never had them opened to compare the circuitry.

For the price you can't go wrong!!!! And, your unit should assuredly outperform a non-logic unit.

According to Bob Popham, Sony did make a decoder at the tail end of the quad era that had circuitry similar to a Tate, he just couldn't recall the model number. Since this unit advertises the wave matching logic, it would be interesting to know how well it performs compared to a Tate.

Back