New Steve Vai 'Visual Sound Theories' DVD in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
The new live Steve Vai DVD - Visual Sound Theories - has a Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

In my opinion, it sounds awesome! I know that DTS or hi-rez might sound even better, but it still sounds great to me.

I have to admit, though, that I'd like to hear other people's opinion about this DVD. Some of you may remember a thread that I started a while back called "What not to buy," wherein I complained about the shrill sound of my $99 JVC 5.1 system. I even started throwing small towels over my speakers to cut down on the harsh high end, Well, this DVD sounds simply amazing on my system as is, and I was able to turn up the volume without suffering the ear fatigue I would normally experience. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Steve mixed this on similar cheap speakers in the belief that people would be more likely to have a home-theater-in-a-box system than a high-end system.

Can anyone comment on how this DVD sounds on a better system?

(oh, and FYI, the material on this DVD is Steve playing with both a band and an orchestra)

J. D.

Oh, so it's out on DVD now. This was recorded for Dutch Television with the Metropole Orchestra (Dutch Broadcast's own orchestra) before a live audience in July 2005. I think the series was called the Aching Hunger concerts.
I have a recording from TV of it (both parts 1 and 2), no 5.1, I suppose the DVD could sound better.

Back