Steven Wilson New Steven Wilson podcast (with Tim Bowness)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
no-man (Steven Wilson & Tim Bowness) have launched a new podcast called "The Album Years" in which they discuss the most influential albums from a particular year.
The first episode is up, and it's all about 1980!
More here:
http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-steven-wilson-tim-bowness-podcast-the-album-years/
On The Album Years podcast, long term friends, collaborators and music nerds Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness regularly meet online to discuss and bicker about their favourite music released during the golden album years, which they reckon to be from around 1965 to the end of the millennium. Each episode focuses on a single year picked at random. At the end of each episode they pick their personal favourites and the album they think had the most long-term impact on music. Can you guess which albums Steven and Tim will pick from 1980, and what would be your favourite albums from that year? Artwork by Hajo Mueller.

SW-TB-PODCAST-03-1384x1384.jpg

The second episode is now available.

From Steven:

Episode 2 of The Album Years Podcast, '1973' is now live! anchor.fm/the-album-years

On this episode, myself and Tim Bowness struggle to get our list of great albums released in this year down from a shortlist of hundreds, so much so that we forgot to mention King Crimson's Larks Tongues in Aspic completely, shame on us!

Did Steven Wilson mention, in the second episode, that he has remixed Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure ? Or did I misunderstood ? (English is not my first language)

I listened to that part of the podcast again, and I definitely misunderstood. :confused:

Steven Wilson did talk about having remixed a Roxy Music album, but it was about their first album.

Sorry for the false hope!

Really enjoyable podcasts. A lot of the albums he has picked so far would not have made any of my lists, but he has thrown out some albums that I didn't know about, so I'm making lists of things to check out. In an interview a while back he mentioned that he wasn't a Genesis fan, not even the Gabriel years. I was devastated. I so trust his taste in music. But, he redeemed himself in the first episode by heaping lots of praise on Peter Hammill. It may not be that unusual for a Brit to mention PH, but for someone like me from California, just hearing his name mentioned anywhere is thrilling. :) So now, all I can think about is the possibility of a surround version of Godbluff. Yes, I know. There is no chance in hell that will happen... But I can dream, can't I.

So now, all I can think about is the possibility of a surround version of Godbluff. Yes, I know. There is no chance in hell that will happen... But I can dream, can't I.

I would be so in for surround versions of any of the classic VDGG albums plus A Grounding In Numbers but don't let Hammill do the remixes. Those remasters he did were too compressed for my tastes.

I'm liking it so far. Learning a lot. Their musical tastes are a bit, erm, monochromatic, but I guess that's who they are.

Any new podcast is bound to be a little creaky at first, and I'm sure this one will get better. But because we're on the internet, where opinions are like assholes, here would be my unsolicited advice:
  1. Steven: get closer to the mic, and soften up. Compared to Tim, you're coming through loud and echo-y.
  2. Also: we love you, and you're a crazy-smart guy with an encyclopedic knowledge of pop music. But lay back a little. Let Tim talk. (And let him talk without gainsaying every other thing he says.) You're sounding--and this comes straight from my "Takes One to Know One" file--like a mansplaining know-it-all who always has to have the last word.
  3. Finally: sure, we all have YouTube and Spotify at our fingertips, but just the same: spring for the royalties and stream some clips! (Or at the very least, put links on your website.)
My USD .02. Looking forward to "1992."

P.S.: Appreciate the fact that on their YouTube channel, they're splitting the podcasts up into clips focusing on individual albums.

Last edited:
But, he redeemed himself in the first episode by heaping lots of praise on Peter Hammill. It may not be that unusual for a Brit to mention PH, but for someone like me from California, just hearing his name mentioned anywhere is thrilling. :) So now, all I can think about is the possibility of a surround version of Godbluff. Yes, I know. There is no chance in hell that will happen... But I can dream, can't I.

Huge pH/vdGG fan here, several pH solo/trio (pH, G Smith, N Potter and pH/S Gordon/N Potter) shows seen and went to London for the reunion show in 2005 (and the after show party). It's been far too long since I've seen him live (Phoenix Oct 2008) and hope for something someday that I can get to....

With the lockdown time....there's a 50th anniversary for Pawn Hearts around the corner....pretty please?

Just rediscovered this very helpful list of albums discussed on the podcast:
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/berg...cast-by-steven-wilson-and-tim-bowness-no-man/
One of the frustrating things for me about the podcast is the inability to hear the music they're talking about, as they're talking about it. Is UK copyright law really so strict that you can't play 10- or 20- or 30-second samples, for purposes of illustration, criticism, and discussion, without paying exorbitant licensing fees? Seems like that would be covered under the principle of "Fair Dealing" (the UK's equivalent to Fair Use)?

Just rediscovered this very helpful list of albums discussed on the podcast:
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/berg...cast-by-steven-wilson-and-tim-bowness-no-man/
One of the frustrating things for me about the podcast is the inability to hear the music they're talking about, as they're talking about it. Is UK copyright law really so strict that you can't play 10- or 20- or 30-second samples, for purposes of illustration, criticism, and discussion, without paying exorbitant licensing fees? Seems like that would be covered under the principle of "Fair Dealing" (the UK's equivalent to Fair Use)?

I would imagine that would require a fair amount of extra work to get the samples and edit them into the discussion.
It would be great if they had a producer to do that for them.

Happy to hear them give some love to Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. Steven calls it "one of the most beautiful and cohesive records the band ever made".
It's not much of a "band" album, though. It's more like a Roger Waters solo album with David Gilmour and Nick Mason as part of his backing band. The same can be said of A Momentary Lapse of Reason, it being a Gilmour solo album with Mason (and hardly any Wright) as backing.

It's not much of a "band" album, though. It's more like a Roger Waters solo album with David Gilmour and Nick Mason as part of his backing band. The same can be said of A Momentary Lapse of Reason, it being a Gilmour solo album with Mason (and hardly any Wright) as backing.

Certainly The Final Cut is the most Waters dominated Floyd record. However, one of the things I love about the album is that Dave does do some beautiful solos. His presence is still felt, although obviously to a lesser degree than on previous records. As for  Lapse, even though Nick is credited as a full band member, much of the drumming was either programmed or performed by a session player (Jim Keltner and Carmine Appice). Whereas on The Final Cut a session player only plays drums on one song.

So while the criticism of The Final Cut being more of a Waters solo album than a band album may be valid, the presence of three members can be felt throughout. On  Lapse, Nick and Rick's presence is barely felt, if at all.

Back