New Surround From Rob Reed (Magenta) - Chimpan A "The Empathy Machine" available now (CD/DTS DVD-V)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, the usual high quality audio from Robert. It sounds great...

foobar2000 1.5.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2020-03-19 12:28:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Chimpan A / The Empathy Machine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR12 -0.12 dB -18.07 dB 6:58 01-The World Through My Eyes
DR11 -0.24 dB -18.17 dB 8:04 02-It's So Real
DR13 -0.56 dB -17.99 dB 10:04 03-Stars
DR13 -2.06 dB -20.73 dB 8:00 05-Speed of Love
DR12 -1.55 dB -20.99 dB 8:11 05-The Calling
DR13 -0.32 dB -19.75 dB 7:43 06-The Scream
DR14 -0.42 dB -19.27 dB 9:55 07-Jack

Number of tracks: 7
Official DR value: DR13

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 6
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1620 kbps
Codec: FLAC
================================================================================
This is how slow my internet speed and I are: just got it all downloaded (using the DOWNLOAD button in the upper right corner!) and I am listening now--Holy Cow Comrades! This is a FANTASTIC mix! Just as Gene says: the usual high quality audio and it sounds GREAT! Reed's work is so broad-ranging--this is a wonderful addition to his canon. I don't think I've met a Rob Reed project I don't dig! Highly recommended! And a great deal! Take a spin in The Empathy Machine! Stay Surrounded Comrades!

Last edited:
Oh man....I really like this. Speed of Love just sounds BIG, so awesome. Especially the middle, from 3:00 - till the end......

1584651132439.png

Took less than 5 minutes to download which is pretty good for this part of the world! Probably won't get to listen to them until tomorrow as I need to reconnect my NAS boxes after some decorating
I listened to mine straight away as I put the files on a memory stick and plugged that into the remote USB socket of the OPPO thats why the pic I posted of the screen shows 14 files, both the Flac and Wav are in there.

I've been chatting with Rob this morning; he's thinking of making a multi-channel track available for a free download, to give people who haven't heard any Chimpan A a chance to hear before they buy.

We kicked around a few ideas of which track would be best, but we thought it would be fun to ask the opinion of those who've already heard it.

...so: to all those who've jumped already; which track do you think would be best as a freebie?

I've been chatting with Rob this morning; he's thinking of making a multi-channel track available for a free download, to give people who haven't heard any Chimpan A a chance to hear before they buy.

We kicked around a few ideas of which track would be best, but we thought it would be fun to ask the opinion of those who've already heard it.

...so: to all those who've jumped already; which track do you think would be best as a freebie?
I've listened 3 times now and I'm partial to Jack. My first listen to the album I wasn't too sure but boy has it grown on me.

I've listened 3 times now and I'm partial to Jack. My first listen to the album I wasn't too sure but boy has it grown on me.
Yeah, I love it, but I'm not sure it would make the best promo?

Which one do you think grabbed you most (in terms of surround mix and song) in, say, the first minute or so?

[Edit]: BTW the "street poet" who does the brilliant spoken word parts on some of the songs, including Jack is a guy called Tony Dallas. I think he's superb - his articulate but gritty delivery fits perfectly with the subject matter. Powerful stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, I love it, but I'm not sure it would make the best promo?

Which one do you think grabbed you most (in terms of surround mix and song) in, say, the first minute or so?

[Edit]: BTW the "street poet" who does the brilliant spoken word parts on some of the songs, including Jack is a guy called Tony Dallas. I think he's superb - his articulate but gritty delivery fits perfectly with the subject matter. Powerful stuff.
I know it's Tony Dallas, Rob told me on Facebook:ROFLMAO: em I think Speed of Love grabbed me but it's pretty different to all the other songs.

I know it's Tony Dallas, Rob told me on Facebook:ROFLMAO: em I think Speed of Love grabbed me but it's pretty different to all the other songs.
Another vote here for Speed of Love..it's catchy, it's instant, it's good...sorry very good and although different it is an excellent mix. As is the whole album...well pleased with it.👍

I like the homage to Supertramp in track one.....The World Through My Eyes.

If only Ben Wiseman and co had contacted Rob and Neil about the art of surround mixing, perhaps they could have turned out a more acceptable surround mix on the Renaissance release. :unsure:
Good spot! The working title of that song was "Open Supertramp"

Back