New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucky3042

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Dear fellow surround crazies

Yes we are working on the super surround pre amp as discussed with all the features you requested but in the mean time we really have run out of stock of the old beast. We decided to do a half way between version whilst Dave the Bitch (Overture) finished other (paid) projects.

So here is what it will look like, I think its old school but I like old school! It has the following features

1 Metal box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 Individual output buffered line level adjustment
3 Buffered input volume master set
4 6 way multimode adjustment - that does not require a power up/ down to change modes
5 LED indication of what channels are active
6 Active controlled outputs so we eliminate the confusing output 4 / 5.1 channel output wiring of the old SM.
7 Improved analogue circuit design in some spots (minor improvements- don't worry about the existing SM its fine!)

We are coming down the home straight on this one so be patient for a few months. Delays by us are usually always related to raising funds and a small team of dedicated nutbags.

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• 15E_SM2_Render_2.101.jpg
    15E_SM2_Render_2.101.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 702
  • 15B_SM2_Render_2.100.jpg
    15B_SM2_Render_2.100.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 703
  • 15E_SM2_Render_2.98.jpg
    15E_SM2_Render_2.98.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 670
  • 15E_SM2_Render_2.102.jpg
    15E_SM2_Render_2.102.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 633
It looks nice and tidy. Will the SQ mode be optimised for vinyl? Or possibly switchable between vinyl and non-vinyl modes? Any chance a price has been guesstimated yet? Will it need to be turned off and back on to switch modes? I am very interested as my budget didn't allow for buying the original Surround Master while it was available. I have to say that I am very excited by this news.

It looks nice and tidy. Will the SQ mode be optimised for vinyl? Or possibly switchable between vinyl and non-vinyl modes? Any chance a price has been guesstimated yet? Will it need to be turned off and back on to switch modes? I am very interested as my budget didn't allow for buying the original Surround Master while it was available. I have to say that I am very excited by this news.

Good questions. Will get back to you on the possibility of the vinyl/ correct maths mode for INVOLVE/ QS....maybe. The price will be higher as its a more expensive build, hoping $599. You do not need to switch off/ on between modes on the new one.

Regards

Chucky

24/96?

If yes, count me in!!

A couple of indicators to set input levels would be nice.

Bypassing of the output level controls would be nice too. My guess is they would be redundant for most of us.

Internal switching capabilities (high quality relays) with a separate set of stereo outputs would... you know. Maybe automatic switching when the unit is turned off.

And please, socketed firmware chip(s)! (or downloadable).

Last edited:
A couple of indicators to set input levels would be nice.

Maybe I misread. Does any of the following is related to setting the INPUT level in order to optimize the A/D conversion:

- 2 Individual output buffered line level adjustment
- 3 Buffered input volume master set

Dear fellow surround crazies

Yes we are working on the super surround pre amp as discussed with all the features you requested but in the mean time we really have run out of stock of the old beast. We decided to do a half way between version whilst Dave the Bitch (Overture) finished other (paid) projects.

So here is what it will look like, I think its old school but I like old school! It has the following features

1 Metal box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 Individual output buffered line level adjustment
3 Buffered input volume master set
4 6 way multimode adjustment - that does not require a power up/ down to change modes
5 LED indication of what channels are active
6 Active controlled outputs so we eliminate the confusing output 4 / 5.1 channel output wiring of the old SM.
7 Improved analogue circuit design in some spots (minor improvements- don't worry about the existing SM its fine!)

We are coming down the home straight on this one so be patient for a few months. Delays by us are usually always related to raising funds and a small team of dedicated nutbags.

Regards

Chucky
Wow! I think I will be singing to the new surround master 'I've got to have you" :51QQ

Hi Chucky - this is brilliant news, I was a bit worried that things had gone quiet over the past couple of months, but it certainly looks like this will have been worth the wait. It looks a lot more user friendly than the v1 model and the new features are really welcome. I think I'll need a couple of these beauties!

Maybe I misread. Does any of the following is related to setting the INPUT level in order to optimize the A/D conversion:

- 2 Individual output buffered line level adjustment
- 3 Buffered input volume master set

Yes the main level really determines the clip level and or adjusts all outputs at once. Will look for a clip LED.....good idea

Hi Chucky - this is brilliant news, I was a bit worried that things had gone quiet over the past couple of months, but it certainly looks like this will have been worth the wait. It looks a lot more user friendly than the v1 model and the new features are really welcome. I think I'll need a couple of these beauties!

Things have actually been super busy and we have actually expanded our team but we are snowed under with external design work and solar battery design. Still waiting for the Styro on the Y4 surround system but some customers have been picking them up without the packaging.

Things have actually been super busy and we have actually expanded our team but we are snowed under with external design work and solar battery design. Still waiting for the Styro on the Y4 surround system but some customers have been picking them up without the packaging.
Always good to be busy but please give Dave a kick up the arse to upgrade my SM to the SQ Vinyl firmware!

Looks sweet! Another question... What is the crossover for the LFE? Any chance that might be something that gets a knob? (I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere) :)

TSS was also originally known as The Sweet Spot (Technology). This version of the Surround Master looks awesome!

Like Circular Vibes, I'm interested in the SQ vinyl instead of the SQ script (as a chip option like with the original Surround Master?), but would take either. And like Soundfield, I'm a bit baffled by the Mode knob: are the "4.0" and "5.1" settings using QS decoding, or would a user select the TSS setting for that?

I haven't been keeping up well with the Surround Master project since the QQ upgrade, and cannot find it in the old threads: what are the additional functions/connections that will be on the final, full Surround Master re-release, that will surpass this intermediate model? Because I didn't reach the point of buying the original SM by the time the new model was announced, I've been holding out for the new model. I'm tempted with this intermediate model, but am wondering if I should still hold out for the final, full-blown model.

Last edited:
Back