New Surround Master v2 - Pre-Order Roster Discussion Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's a very small room. Essentially a large closet. That's why it's photographed at that angle. The listening room is next door. You can see the amplifiers under the reel to reel unit. And as for the center channel, I always have the option of just turning it off, and using the 4.0 mode. I will have to figure out which one I like best. I have five JBL 4311 control monitors for those Sansui amps to drive. The center channel is a full size speaker, and equal to the others. The red and black cables on the mixers allow me to do mixdowns from 5.1 to 4 channels so I can record 5.1 channel recordings to the reel unit. The top mixer has been modified to make sure the mix down is in phase with the left and right channels. I had to sacrifice the reverb for that field mod. The other red and black cable allows me to cut in a DBX de-esser. I don't use it much, but I have a favorite Olivia Newton John album that absolutely requires it. Except for the Oppo and the DTS decoder, and the V2, this is all old school, 70's vintage. There's even a laserdisc player for my big silver TV records.

Let me know when your out of town for a while & please leave the back door unlocked.

Yup. Other than you I haven't seen this aspect talked about on the forum. Where you might otherwise have just a big violin sound you can now get a better realization for individual multiple instruments. Generally speaking anytime there is grouped vocals or instruments each one sounds more distinct & well, individual.
Its a party trick that took some time to refine.....something about triband and heaps of work on defining dual slope attach and decay envelopes for each band.....and not getting corrupted logic by signals that have less "weighting".....and rms detectors

I listened to some stereo material last night. Uriah Heep's "Demons and Wizards" and "The Magician's Birthday" I listened in QS 5.1 mode. Quite a trick indeed

I don't know if techno-pop music is your style but most of it gives amazing results on the SM. I'd suggest some Kraftwerk, Thomas Dolby, ABC, Eurythmics, Yellow Magic Orchetra, OMD.

Also curious to hear your evaluation of SQ material compared to the S&IC. Ken Parsons has had some interesting comments on that.

Last edited:
I don't know if techno-pop music is your style but most of it gives amazing results on the SM. I'd suggest some Kraftwerk, Thomas Dolby, ABC, Eurythmics, Yellow Magic Orchetra, OMD.

Also curious to hear your evaluation of SQ material compared to the S&IC. Ken Parsons has had some interesting comments on that.

what did Ken Parsons say?

what did Ken Parsons say?

I have a little bit of Techno pop music. It always performed well with the Audionics unit. I played one SQ record but the material wasn't that good. Atom Heart Mother always performed well with the Audionics. I will listen to that and see how it goes. I quit listening to the SQ version because I now have a discrete version on reel. I will try both of those next weekend.

Chucky, I got an email this morning that said my order for the SM was now complete. Does that mean my unit is on its way to me? Any idea of time in transit?
[/QUOTE

Hi Jaybird

I asked Dave the Bitch and got the below reply...................................:

Yes, it means it's on the way. He should have gotten an email from Aus Post.

Except that their tracking is f#$%&d thanks to Covid. Supposed to be two weeks from posting, though covid screwed that as well - Some people have been getting their units though, so let's say 10 business days from now just in case.

~Bitch

Chucky, I got an email this morning that said my order for the SM was now complete. Does that mean my unit is on its way to me? Any idea of time in transit?
Hi Jaybird

I asked Dave the Bitch and got the below reply...................................:

Except that their tracking is f#$%&d thanks to Covid. Supposed to be two weeks from posting, though covid screwed that as well - Some people have been getting their units though, so let's say 10 business days from now just in case.

~Bitch

Hi Jaybird

~Bitch
Thanks. I haven't heard anything from Oz Post yet, although I did contact them about the Evaluation Encoder I ordered. They told me it'll be sometime in July before it gets here, so apparently the SM will get here first. Having both should be quite interesting.

Express parcels to Japan should have been delayed for 6-10 business days because of the Coronavirus, but it hasn't arrived in a month.
Did Australian Post forget my Surround Master v2?

> Most recent update
> Cleared and awaiting international departure
> MELBOURNE VIC
> Date & time Thu 14 May • 3:33am
>
> Shipping information received by Australia Post
> Mon 11 May • 12:58pm

Express parcels to Japan should have been delayed for 6-10 business days because of the Coronavirus, but it hasn't arrived in a month.

> Most recent update
> MELBOURNE VIC
>

I will ask............................

> Most recent update
> MELBOURNE VIC
>
Can I have your actual name, so we can look it up????

I finally heard from Oz Post on the SM, and it's finally here in the US. I'm expecting it now almost anytime. I got the Evaluation Encoder on Saturday, and am extremely happy with it. After some experimentation, I find I prefer the fixed encode setting over the Smart Encode. I'm very impressed with the sound of the encoded material; more open and dynamic than my old Sansui encoder. Anyone who has use for one of these modules should not hesitate!

I finally heard from Oz Post on the SM, and it's finally here in the US. I'm expecting it now almost anytime. I got the Evaluation Encoder on Saturday, and am extremely happy with it. After some experimentation, I find I prefer the fixed encode setting over the Smart Encode. I'm very impressed with the sound of the encoded material; more open and dynamic than my old Sansui encoder. Anyone who has use for one of these modules should not hesitate!
I belive you are currently using DPL II for QS decoding? I anticipate you will be amazed at the leap forward the SMv2 brings to that game.
May I ask how/what you use the encoder for?

I belive you are currently using DPL II for QS decoding? I anticipate you will be amazed at the leap forward the SMv2 brings to that game.
May I ask how/what you use the encoder for?
You are correct that I'm using PL II right now, and am impressed even with that! I'm sure the SMv2 will blow the doors off that! I'm using the encoder to create encoded CD's from SACD and DVD-A for play in my car. I like the widened soundstage the encoding gives to the music, retaining the fidelity of the original. I connect the output of my universal player directly to the encoder, then directly to my Sony CD recorder. It kicks butt!

Please be aware that the "fixed" parameter encoder will deliver 12 dB separation everywhere...................the stereo encode will be 12 db separated and the resultant decoded stereo will have 12 dB separation everywhere. I know it does not win the numbers race but our tests showed that no one can actually detect separation beyond this (controversial I know). Interesting really good cartridges such as the empire actually delivered low numbers of separation.

The smart encoder delivers full separation everywhere. You are actually the first to prefer the fixed encode setting.

Last edited:
Please be aware that the "fixed" parameter encoder will deliver 12 dB separation everywhere...................the stereo encode will be 12 db separated and the resulted decoded stereo will have 12 dB separation everywhere. I know it does not win the numbers race but our tests showed that no one can actually detect separation beyond this (controversial I know). Interesting really good cartridges such as the empire actually delivered low numbers of separation.

The smart encoder delivers full separation everywhere. You are actually the first to prefer the fixed encode setting.
I'll check it again.

> Most recent update
> MELBOURNE VIC
>
Dave the Bitch thinks he has found you name, he is raising an inquiry to Australia post..........

Back